FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 29, 2024, 05:21:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Why don't you take the FC on?"  (Read 85288 times)
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2012, 08:32:50 PM »

Hey Rob,
Best of luck with the trip hope you can update us as you travel. Hope you and your dad have a great time stay safe.
Cheers,
Graham
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2012, 09:16:06 PM »
+1

A Perth update:

The car ran like a clock all the way over to WA.  OK, so it had a slight tendency to overheat on hot days - we had a 39-degree day crossing the Eyre Peninsula (shades of childhood Perth trips again), and I replaced a hose clamp and the radiator cap in Ceduna.

In Perth I noticed the top radiator outlet had a fractured solder joint at the tank, and Stirling re-soldered the outlet, and I put another bottle of radiator flush through the cooling system.  When I filled the system with water to check for leaks, I saw a little stream of bubbles come out of the water when I ran the engine at a fast idle . . .

Damn.

I've got a crack in the cylinder head.

I pulled the plugs out, and none of them was wet.
I turned the engine over on the starter with the plugs out: couldn't see any mist coming out of the spark plug holes.
I put the plugs back in, ran the engine at a fast idle, and disconnected the HT leads one at a time: the water still bubbled.
I took all the plugs out save one, which I moved between cylinders, turned the engine over and watched the radiator: no bubbles.
I looked at the plugs, and Number Three was slightly cleaner than the others.  I put the other five plugs in, and started the engine.  No bubbles.

I think the crack is in Number Three combustion chamber, and it's very small.  The motor still runs perfectly.  Hey - I drove across Australia with a cracked head, I'll do the return trip with a cracked head.  I've put a blade of grass across the filler neck of the radiator so the cap can't seal.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2012, 10:14:37 PM »

Interesting method of diagnosis.
A blade of grass.....really.....how interesting!!!
Good luck on the return journey.
Regards
Alex

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »

We return from WA, with car (and sanity) intact.

7440 miles in all.

The cracked cylinder head gave no trouble at all, just as long as I remembered to put a pint or so of water in the radiator every couple of days.  Stirling's radiator repair has held up.

The starter motor went lazy on me after the Kondinin-Kellerberrin trip, but that was just a dirty commutator and badly seating brushes.

I had dirty fuel troubles after the Murchison - Wooleen section, but the old hand-over-the-air-intake trick cured that problem.

The speedo seized up outside Kalgoorlie on the return trip, and the end of the cable is now stuck in the speedo driven gear.

Over 5000 miles of motoring I lost all my gearbox oil out the rear extension housing oil seal (the same thing happened when I did a WA trip in my '48 series five years ago).

And every time I parked the car it dripped about a teaspoon of oil out of the crankcase breather pipe.  Yes, I know what my tagline says, but this says to me that a hone and a set of piston rings is indicated.

I figure that's not bad for a car I finished rebuilding three months beforehand.

Since I've got to fix the head, the speedo driven gear, and get the rear extension housing re-bushed, it's probably easier in the long run to pull the motor out, and hey, then a set of rings is straightforward.

I'll post some photos "real soon now".

Rob

MAF
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2012, 11:18:48 PM »

Great build thread. Love the car
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »

Hey, it's only taken five months to get around to fixing the cylinder head . . .

I decided to have another go at finding out where the leak was coming from: fill the radiator up full with water, take the rocker cover off, loosen the locknuts on the exhaust rockers, start the engine, and then one cylinder at at time, tighten the adjuster until the exhaust valve is held well and truly off the seat.  Hopefully when I do this, on the "bad" cylinder, the bubbles will stop coming out of the radiator.

Wrong.  This test was splendidly inconclusive, so there was only one thing to do: remove cylinder head.  And on the head gasket I found the marks of two big leaks - the first between No.2, No.3 and the water passage; and the second between No.4, No.5 and the water passage.  So I had four leaky cylinders, which was why isolating one at a time wasn't going to show anything up.  But the good news was - the head wasn't cracked, it was "only" a leaking head gasket, caused by incredibly crappily machined mating faces.

I then had an attempt at fixing the problem in-situ.  The joy of lifting a cylinder head out of the engine bay fades after the first attempt, and I lost a weekend stuffing around.

October Long Weekend.  Remove engine and transmission from vehicle, and set to work.  The wise approach would be to strip the head, strip the block, send them both off to be machined flat, and rebuild.  I am not wise.  I figured that with two full days I'd have a half-way decent chance of matching the two surfaces.

Instead of bearing blue, I drew a cross-hatch pattern on the block with a Texta, laid the head on the block and rubbed the head back and forth a bit.  The areas which make contact rub the Texta marks out.  I bought a new oilstone, and set to work on the high spots.  Not much happened.  My father made a sort of sanding float out of a flat piece of 3/4 plywood, with some 60 grit al-ox paper contact-cemented to it. Slowly the contact patches between head and block grew, but oh, so slow . . .

Time for the heavy artillery.

Warning: Do Not Attempt This At Home.

Angle grinder, with a backing pad, and a new 120 grit sanding disc.  A single, very light pass over the high spots, followed by a minute's work with the oilstone, and the sanding marks are removed.

Clean surfaces.  Mark block with Texta.  Apply cylinder head.  Observe contact marks.  Gauge both surfaces with a straightedge to keep faces reasonably flat.  Repeat many times over.
I really didn't want my father to take this photo.  "I'll become the laughing-stock of the Forum", I said.

Finally I achieve contact all over, including the gaps between 2 and 3, and 4 and 5.

A new (old-stock) head gasket, and I set the motor up on stands, and started it.  Success! No bubbles out the radiator.

While the rest of the country was glued to the screen watching Whincup win, I was doing my patriotic duty assembling a grey motor, test-running it, and putting it back in the car.

Phew.

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2012, 05:16:31 PM »

if in doubt chemiweld it  Grin

if it works do it.

pete

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2012, 08:12:57 AM »

Very clever Ardiesse,

I often flatten out surfaces using wet and dry on a piece of old window... but these are generally small motorcycle parts made of alloy.

cant say Ive ever tried something as large as a 6 cylinder engine!

great result.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »

The LORD gives, and the LORD takes away.

The wind blew on Monday, and a tree blew down onto the carport, demolishing it.

My father's Commodore is good for the bin.  My mother's i30 is most likely good for the bin.  My three cars were further inside the carport.  The Monaro and the FC might be repairable, but the tree and the wreckage of the carport will have to be removed first.  I think the FX has escaped with minor bruising.

Here is the ever-present dark side of restoring classic motor vehicles: you never know how long your work is going to last.

Rob

DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »

Rob,

Not good to hear, hopefully the damage is not too substantial & they are careful when removing the tree.

Dean.
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2012, 05:45:02 PM »

Bugger sorry to hear that one damaged car is bad enough.
Hope something good comes out of it.

Pete

fink fc

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2012, 06:56:30 PM »

That sucks bigtime,you seem talented enough to rebuild anything,good luck,Gaz!
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2012, 07:58:38 PM »

Hi Rob,
Sorry to hear that. Hope they are repairable.
Cheers,
Graham
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2012, 08:49:42 PM »

Rob,

Hope all is good,

Cheers
John

Better in Green
Jordo
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »

Sorry to here that Rob, Luckily you were not under the bonnet.....

lets us know if you need a hand cleaning up...

Craig n Shaz
customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2012, 09:38:02 PM »

Sucks to hear that Rob.
I hope the damage turns out to be less than would appear.
Regards
Alex

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2012, 04:12:10 AM »

So sorry to hear this Rob after yours and Dads hard work

Hopefully they can be saved, I shudder every time the wind gets up here as well

Regards, Gary
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2012, 10:05:57 AM »

To the Forumers,

Thanks for your kind wishes.  The ironic "skin-of-your-teeth" thing is that my parents had been in the carport not fifteen minutes earlier getting the Commodore ready for its registration inspection.

It looks like the tree will be taken away next week, so we'll have a better idea what's going on after the Temora weekend.

Rob

philwreck
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2012, 12:31:19 PM »

sorry to hear of your misfortune, good that you're all ok.
we can feel some of your pain.
two years ago we had an out of control driver write off our family car and narrowly miss sons cl valiant and end up in our house.
good thing all our FCs are kept elsewhere.
phil
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2012, 10:47:27 PM »

That's very bad news Rob and as said,hopefully it is not as bad as first thought.Hey Phil,what a surprise there is a P plate on that one.... Tongue Glad to hear you are all ok.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: