FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:25:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Why don't you take the FC on?"  (Read 84512 times)
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2012, 09:42:42 AM »

Definitely feel for you and your family in this situation.  Just remember, cars can (usually) be replaced/repaired - fortunately no-one was hurt.  Smiley

NosFEratu
sunnytim

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »

faark
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »
+1

The rest of the story can now be told . . .

One complication for me was this: Dad kept bees, on the carport roof.  I'm allergic to bee stings.  I couldn't go anywhere near the wreckage until the hives were patched up and moved.  That was about a week.

Cleaning up was slow and painful.  Getting rid of the tree branches was easy enough, but the tree trunk itself and the remains of the carport had to be propped up enough to "make safe".  Both my parents' cars were written off.  My three were in the back of the carport, which made extracting them a challenge.

The 48 was at the right rear of the carport, the part which didn't collapse.  Mum's i30 shunted it into another tree, dinging the rear bumper; and the i30's front bumper snagged the 48's LHF overrider, and bent it when removed.  But - no panel damage.

The tree hit the FC's LHR quarter panel, and one of the carport roof beams came down on the FC's roof.

The only practical way of extracting the FC was to jack the tree up enough to free the car, then winch the car out sideways.

And once out of the carport, we could gauge the extent of the damage.

The rear quarter panel was way beyond my abilities to repair, but the structure of the car didn't seem bent.

The roof was pushed in quite a way.  Maybe if you got something like a giant swiss ball and inflated it inside the car, the roof would pop back out, and need only minor work to get rid of the crease.

And because the car sat in the rain with sodden covers over it for a few days, the paint humidity-blistered.

Time for a complete strip and rebuild.  Again.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »

Ouch. At least your alive. Are the cars covered with insurance in any way?

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »

What about an exhaust air bag jack thingo inside to push the roof up and

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GENUINE-FE-FC-HOLDEN-1-4-PANEL-LEFT-HAND-REAR-COMPLETE-1-4-PANEL-N-O-S-/271211031555?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f256fec03

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2013, 12:02:55 PM »

Fortunately the cars were covered by insurance, and I found a very good panelbeater . . .

More images to come shortly.

Rob

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »

What about an exhaust air bag jack thingo inside to push the roof up and

I did when I was a young fella using my feet inside the car laying on my back... Probably not appropriate for this repair though

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2013, 12:38:28 PM »

The next part was finding a repairer.  One of the guys in the FE-FC club suggested I should go talk to Hawkesbury Valley Smash Repairs, so I took a USB stick full of photos and drove out to Windsor.  First impressions count.  It was a large, well-equipped shop, and very clean.  I showed the photos to Gary, who runs the business, told him the sad story, and explained as much of the car's history to him as I could.

This is where I discovered the value of having a well-documented build thread on the Forum.  I showed Gary this thread, and that answered most of his questions.  Gary then said to me, "Can you bring the car out to us and leave it a few days?  We'd like to take a good look at it."  I said that wasn't a problem, when would be a suitable time?  "How about tomorrow morning?" - This was about 3 pm on a Friday afternoon just before Christmas that I went to see him.

No sooner said than done.  Next morning, a Saturday, I brought the car out to him.  It only took a few minutes for Gary to say, "I think we can repair it."  I was concerned that the LHR quarter panel would need replacing, given the amount of rust repair work it required, but Gary was happy with the standard of my repairs.  And the roof didn't even rate a mention.

Hawkesbury Vally Smash only refinishes in two-pack; but I'd painted the car in acrylic.  We agreed that the whole car would be repainted, and I'd pay for the refinishing of the undamaged panels.  I'd be somewhat out of pocket, but then I'd get a paint job that'd be good for at least fifteen years.

And so it was, a week out from Christmas 2012, that repair work started on the FC. Again.

Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »

You must have been gutted to see the damage. If you need a good straight boot lid let me know I'm sure i have a spare I can help you with for nix to get you going again.  Martyn
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »

A week out from christmas

Im guessing shes finished now you are just teasing now...

Pete

FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2013, 06:57:25 PM »

My money's on you Pete  Wink Wink Grin Grin
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »

Tease

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »

Tease

Your like an old girlfriend -tease

Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2013, 11:29:31 PM »

Um, yeah, I didn't note the dates involved.  Embarrassed
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2013, 07:06:03 PM »

Your like an old girlfriend -tease

I hope your old girlfriend looks better than me!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »

A couple of weeks later - it may even have been the week of Christmas, I got a call from Gary saying, "We've made quite a bit of progress, would you like to come out and take a look?"

And the car was basically straight.  The roof and LHR quarter panel had been stripped of paint, straightened and file-finished.

And with the aid of an Easy-Beat, the dents in the boot had been pulled out, so that only a very slight crease remained.

From this point onwards, things looked pretty straightforward.  Insurance covered me for the repairs to the damage, and refinishing of the roof, boot and quarter panel.  I was paying for the remainder of a full repaint.  It was just a question of dollars.

Rob

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »

Thats a credit too them.

Beutiful

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2013, 01:07:30 PM »

You're right.  I'm really impressed with the quality of their workmanship.

Rob

Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »

Good to see things are on the mend. It's hard to find a repairer rather than a replacer. I'm keen to see the finished product, but not as much as you I imagine! Martyn
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2013, 01:23:42 PM »

Martyn,

(spoiler alert)

Believe me, it's good.

Rob

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: