FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:38:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My new project  (Read 166686 times)
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2010, 05:07:25 PM »

Don't stress Jack, I don't mind being on Kathi's hit list, sometimes you need that little kick up the bum to get motivated again! Grin Grin As for the visit it's a bit hard at the moment as Chris is flat out at work and can't get a day off and we will probably need 3 days to visit: 1 to look at radiator, 1 to drink beer and discuss radiator and 1 more day to recover.  Grin Grin Grin. We will get there though! Cheers Jack
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »

A full day to look at a radiator?  Shocked  You really need to get a life Jack!  Roll Eyes  Cheesy

NosFEratu
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2010, 05:41:35 PM »

A full day to look at a radiator?

Makes sense if you're drinking beer while looking at the radiator Wink Grin Grin
            Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2010, 06:10:44 PM »

Thank you, Pedro; at least you understand how important it is to do these things properly...
Jack; looking forward to discussing these very important matters with you and Chris in a sensible and fitting manner  Wink

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »

Makes sense if you're drinking beer while looking at the radiator Wink Grin Grin
            Pedro

However, the drinking of the amber fluid was only mentioned when referring to the planned events for the 2nd day!  Grin I would have also thought that a hair of the dog that bit you would be on the agenda for the 3rd day - but - that was not mentioned either!  Roll Eyes Grin

NosFEratu
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2010, 05:32:11 PM »

I thought it wise not to mention the amber fluid requirements for the 1st and 3rd days in case people thought I was a cronic torturer of the liver! Grin Grin Grin, Jack
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2010, 07:52:43 PM »

Ok guys here's the update you have all been waiting for. I have been working on the front subframe and brought these sections off ebay

I removed the sections from the subframe and found this

repaired rusted sections on apron

Welded in new sections

Had the subframe sandblasted and found some small sections of rust which need to be repaired

Looking forward to bolting the subframe back on and seeing if it all lines up with the repaired bottoms of the A pillars. Well that's my up date for now , see Kathi it's all good. Grin Grin Grin. Cheers for now, Jack
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2010, 07:08:46 AM »

Looking good Jack, those new sub frame sections look a lot better than the old repairs.
                            Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2010, 05:03:38 PM »

Thanks Pedro, I brought the sections of an Ebay store called Early Holden Spares and Repairs. He is located in Brisbane. and has a large variety of bits for all cars. They may seem a bit pricey at $280 but well worth it as he has put a lot of work into them and they fit perfectly. Here's a pic of the inside of the side sections which have gussets and tapped plates for the bumper bar and sway bar mounts.

Cheers, Jack
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2010, 06:26:50 PM »

Jack,

Great work, good to see!  Those repair sections really look good. Seem to fit great too.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2010, 03:36:30 PM »

Well it's been a long time between drinks but I finally got around to my latest update!. I have refitted the subframe with some difficultly. I found the wishbones had spread apart from welding in the new sections on the front of the subframe, but with the help of a length of threaded rod I managed to get them to line up.
Next up I fitted the VS booster and master cylinder which with a little bit of modification lined up well with the original brake pedal.

I also fitted the accelerator pedal and cable out of a VP commodore which only needed the top of the bracket removed to make it fit.

Next I fitted a VP wiper motor and made up an connecting arm to enable it to be used with the standard FC wiper arms. This took days of trial and error to get the wipers to move in sync!

The next job will be to fit the Pat Gardner front end which will be interesting to say the least!.

Well that's all for now ,will keep you posted , Cheers Jack
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2010, 04:18:49 PM »

And it's about time Jack!  Angry  Wink Cheesy

NosFEratu
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2010, 04:31:57 PM »

That Pat Gardner sub frame looks the goods. Has anyone else used one?
What axles, discs and callipers are you going to use Jack?

regards
Weddo
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2010, 08:02:34 PM »

Gidday Weddo, I am going to use VS Commo axles and brakes, they should bolt straight up. Also using VS power steering rack which should also bolt straight up with shortened tie rods. Hope to pick up all the parts in the next few days so will let you know how they go. Hi Kathi, yes it's been a while but like a good wine these things take time! Cheesy Grin Cheers Jack
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »

Hi Jack,

Great to see that you have been making progress on your car. It seems to be coming along nicely. The Pat Gardner front end looks a treat!

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2010, 08:32:21 PM »

Hi Jack,

Have got the Pat Gardener front end as well, and the biggest problem that I have had is getting tools in to tighten up the bolts to the subframe... The holes to let the tools into the frame don't line up... let me know how you go... I haven't had a proper go at it since moving to Melbourne.

Looking good though mate.
Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »

Gidday JB , I haven't got around to fitting the front end yet, still setting it up with VS knuckles and discs. Had to take a bit out of the lower backing plates to clear the lower ball joints and now looks like I may have to machine the inside edge of the discs for the same reason. I am using all VS gear. Did you have this trouble with yours?. As for the front end mounting bolts it looks like a universal coupling for the socket set may be needed. Will see how I go. Cheers for now, Jack
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2010, 08:22:06 PM »

I haven't put any discs on it yet, but am using all VT components, I have the calipers on there and thats it for transport. What rubbers are you planning on using, I haven't bought them yet, was looking at a noelathane type product.

Throw some photos up when you are done.

Cheers,
JB

Phone +64 223509263
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »

JB, I couldn't find anybody that could supply neothane rubbers so I am using the rares kit. You need the kit for mounting HR frontend into FC. I think the part no is FE4KA. The outrigger rubber seems a bit sloppy but hopefully it will clamp up ok. I will post some photos when I get to that stage. There is a local guy who has fitted this frontend to an HR so I hope to catch up with him soon and find out what discs, rubbers ect he used. Will keep you informed, cheers, Jack.
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2010, 06:17:39 PM »

Well I got the frontend in ok, fitted quite well actually. I brought some blank rackends from Burson's ,shortened them and had threads cut on them. Had to get them done on a CNC lathe as the metal is too hard for normal dies. Fitted the power steering rack and the steering column I had modified by Rod's Racks. Had an intermediate shaft made up using a VL top and a VS bottom. As you can see from the photos it all came together quite nicely. The steering wheel ends up about 100mm closer to the dash. JB , to bolt the front end up you need new bolts 5 inches long and use the original long spacers, don't use the short ones. I managed to bolt it up ok using a standard socket and a short swivel extension. The next step is to get all the brake and fuel lines fitted while it's still on the rotisserie and then try the motor and gearbox for size. Will keep you posted, cheers for now, Jack.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:40:25 PM by stinky » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: