FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:29:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fan Shrouds  (Read 4016 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: October 10, 2018, 01:17:59 PM »

My 202 powered FE Sedan runs normal temperature in most driving situations, but when stuck in slow traffic or forced to sit idling for a while the temp creeps up past 180. I have tried a thermo fan in front of the radiator to push air through but this did little.

Have people fitted fan shrouds to their Red 6 powered cars?
Does it improve cooling?
How did you do it/what did you use?

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »

I haven’t tried a shroud but had similar problems with over bored motors also too small a fan. Three core HT radiator fixed the over bored motor. What radiator are you running stinky? Has the motor been bored out? Running a stock EH HQ fan I assume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »

The 202 is standard bore, the radiator is from an LC/LJ Torana but the core was upgraded from standard, twin row fine core?.

FE_UTE
wa-club

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 07:30:07 PM »

I have a 186/235 with a flex fan on the motor...a high flow thermostat..a quality thermo fan that I switch on in traffic and a larger three core radiator

Hottest days 38+ idling in traffic 190 with thermo on ,  would get to 200 without the thermo on ...towing the teardrop 180 - 185 all day

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 11:52:00 AM »

Ok , I would have a 1981 Nissan Bluebird fan shroud in the shed , thing is I know that the shroud will fit perfect on a Torana [LC LJ], just saying . But I have said it before that when you put a V6 into a 1948 Vauxhall you would be best to change the thermostat to a cooler one [V6 commodore run standard at 110 degrees C] and here is the crucial thing ,I run a dial up thermostat in the top radiator hose and set it to switch the fan on earlier than the temp switch would normally , its totally adjustable so you could reset for towing or heavy traffic  It was a thing that you didn't need a engine driven fan on your car if you were at speeds over 30mph as the airflow was adequate ,so maybe your electric fan isn't good enough to push air through your radiator . When I build a vehicle I will test the cooling system in the shed to make sure the fan will cool the system [turn off and on ] . Sometimes in the past I have even considered and have put the splash guards back on to direct airflow back toward the firewall . Cheers mate ,any questions just call on 0755477094 .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: