FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:59:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brisbane Flood Image (Archive Pics)  (Read 15222 times)
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 05:56:17 AM »

I think I have it! Paul had it spot on and Colin was going well with his idea as well.

When you use Google Earth to the middle of Tony's picture (call him Sherlock) 27°27'43.71"S and 153°02'06.91"E and zoom in on the text written on the road - it says Water Police!! Look to the very top of the old pic and I think that is a Falcon Patrol car (but I wouldn't be good on my models).

So, back to the idea that it was a compound. You can also see that there is still a chain link fence in place along with the 2 sheds in the top corner of the original picture still there today - which shows it was not an aerial photo but taken from the bridge.

Anyone in Brisbane confirm that the building on the water is/was the Water Police - there is a date by the look painted on the road so they may no longer be there.

Cool

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 08:02:59 AM »

If it was the water police, and it looks like it was, it may well have been a holding yard for unclaimed/abandoned cars as well as cars that had either been stolen and recovered, which may explain whay there are Monaro's and no Kingswoods.

This would account for the accident damaged cars as well, as well as the states of disrepair to some of the vehicles, ie with panels missing etc.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 08:55:32 AM »

When you look it does say Water Police and what looks like a date range. I am guessing they are no longer there but I think you have it now as to what that yard really was.

OK - we need another puzzle!!

Cool

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 11:39:14 AM »

That's magnificent!  And it makes sense.  Great work. That's why nothing is stripped off the complete cars and the wrecks remain pretty much exactly as they were towed in.

Ken

Ken
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 12:31:45 PM »

Yes,the building was the Brisbane Water Police Station. Found a few old pix of it here
  http://mywebsite.bigpond.com/ijpj/Police_Pages/history.html

Tony
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 12:37:14 PM by IhadaV8 » Logged

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
rustyholden

qld club member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 03:12:25 PM »

Good work Holmes,if thats the case it was right under the story bridge on the old Kangaroo point cliffs which is the old docks right next to the river.I knew that mud looked awfully suspicious,but what a great collection of cars.That area is now under a proposal to be developed,but the people have spoken and it looks like it will be turned into green space and not some overpriced ghetto for the rich.
Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 05:18:33 PM »

Nice bit of detective work you blokes.  I will send the information to the Qld museum in a note so they may update the notes on the picture.

I would have added this pic in its own thread if I'd realised it was going to attract so much debate.

Someone else better dig out an old pic for the FE-FC Detective team to go to work on...

Wink Grin

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 05:51:22 PM »

I would have added this pic in its own thread if I'd realised it was going to attract so much debate.
What a good idea - done!

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: