FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:06:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brisbane Flood Image (Archive Pics)  (Read 14833 times)
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:19:17 PM »

Here is an interesting one...
aerial view of a caryard in Brisbane after the 1974 floodwaters had receded.  A few submerged Holdens in amongst that lot Shocked Sad including a windowless van.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:52:35 PM by RET » Logged

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:22:18 PM »

There's an awful lot of old Holdens in this yard for 1974. Surely this must have been someones car collection?
The majority of them seem to be FE through to EK plus a few 50's & 60's Americans.

Ken

Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 12:07:58 AM »

I agree with you Ken, I'm just reporting the pic as it was described in the Archives.  My guess is the photographer saw all these cars in one place after the flood and assumed it was a car sales yard.  Could have been someone's collection.  I tried to attach a large picture, but had no success.

Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:05:17 AM »

Could it be the "front yard" of a wreckers?

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »

The cars are too complete for a wreckers - and too neat.
Only one car has its bonnet off and it also appears to be missing a door - but all the other cars have no missing parts or accident damage that I can see.  I wonder if all these cars went to scrap - no wonder it's hard to find an FE or FC in the Brisbane area - they were all destroyed in a flood in 1974 Shocked
If this was an old Holden enthusiasts collection, there are only 2 FJ's which seems strange considering the number of FE to EK's
It's a great photo.

Ken
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 12:05:20 PM »

The top left hand corner of the pic - the corner one looks like rear damage, the one to the south is missing a door and the one to the right is missing its glass, possibly from the flood. 2 cars right of that the roof looks crushed and 3 right of that is a remnant of something. To the south of that it look like a ute with its bonnet in the back and its rear tailgate missing.

On the right hand side is that an SS with the striped bonnet and air scoop with the boat next to it?

As you say, models are too specific for a general storage yard - do you know what are the buildings to the top or where the photo was taken from? Could it still be in existence, albeit with different cars today?

Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 12:41:21 PM »

HK / HT / HG Monaro's and a GT Falcon...  Cry
rustyholden

qld club member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 12:54:11 PM »

By the look of the huge shed it could be somewhere near hamilton wharf which is near the Valley,where they were assembled or it could be at the industrial area near northgate.My bet is Hamilton wharf seeing as the cars are covered in only the finest Brisbane river mud.The other possibility is the Woolstores at Tennerrife which is just around the corner from The Valley.      cheers paul viner
Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:03:33 PM »

Hopefully you will be able to see a  bigger version of the picture if you click on the link- Shockedhttp://enc.slq.qld.gov.au/cgi-bin/DisplayResearchImage.pl?title=Brisbane%201974%20Floods.%20Aerial%20view%20of%20car%20yard%20after%20flood%20waters%20had%20receded.&ImageNumber=ld795-26_brisbane_floods&Publisher=Queensland%20Museum&url=http://enc.slq.qld.gov.au/qm/research/ld795-26_brisbane_floodsr.jpg

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 08:51:56 AM »

Considering the wide range of makes & models including boats maybe it's a holding yard for stolen or reposessed vehicles. Would an insurance company own the yard.
Considering the popularity of Holdens during the 60s & 70s I don't think it strange that there are so many there.
Colin.

colt
cer444

138 "Big Block" Grey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 08:04:26 PM »

Could it be a panel shop yard?HuhHuhHuh??
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 06:40:55 AM »

Looking at the photo and taking into acount that there seems to be alot of mud on the ground it seems fairly certain that these cars were where they were when they were flooded. That being said I would think that it wouldn't be a car yard as some of these cars are parked in a manner that would indicate that they were not on display. I am inclined to agree with colt, that the yard was repossesion yard or similiar.

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »

Looking at the photo again, I have another observation re the location.

If you look at the building to the top with the big roof I think that it is possibly a railway sided building. The overhang would cover the guys loading up the trains and it looks like a loading platform with big sliding doors to open when it was loading time. Could that yard have been a car park for local workers, and like any over time a couple of bangers got left behind?

Where did they used to load up the trains - I am thinking wool or sugar type thing.

Or am I completely whacko? I don't know Brisbane at all......
 Cool

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »

The yard looks like it has a processing plant of some sort out of picture on the LHS, notice how the dirt/dust covering the cars lessens the further right you go.

customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 11:19:01 PM »

Stinky
I think the reason the dirt is only on the roofs of the cars on the left is because it is the lowest point. The cars on the right did not get completely covered. You can still se water at left.
Regards
Alex

weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 11:50:29 AM »

I think Paul is close, but I think it is a wharf area by the look of the storage building, delivery trucks and the type of yard area provided for the water side workers vehicles.

regards
Weddo
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 04:34:04 PM »

Hi Guys
What a great pic. Thanks for sharing it Shayne.
Got board last night and did some googling using Paul's hunch that it might be around Hamilton Wharf and came up with this.It's Boundary street just below the Storey bridge in Hamilton. Looks pretty close to me.....

Maybe an old wharfie might know abit of history about the place
Cheers
Tony

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
ridgey_didge
act-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 04:47:04 PM »

Tony will certainly be getting a star stamp on his home work for this effort.  That's obviously the location.  Now for the date.  It seems likely to be earlier than 1974 given the spread of cars that are there.

Tony, your next home work is dates of floods in Brisbane.

Cheers
David

FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »

24th January 1974 the flooding started caused by Cyclone Wanda  Wink

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 10:39:25 PM »

The bigger picture makes the cars a lot clearer, now I can see a lot more damaged cars. At least 4 in the centre as well as the stripped EH ute. An EJ wagon is burnt out, a crashed early Falcon on the LHS - and the car with the roof crushed - that's a '52 / '53 Caddy isn't it?
As was mentioned there are 3 Monaros (1 with a guard missing) and a GT Falcon. There are a number of '55 / '56 / '57 and '59 Chevs laying around. What is the wagon 4th from the top on the LHS? Is it a Zephyr?
I can see a Hillman Imp and an early Cortina with a late Valiant next to it Undecided
I think I am still with car collection - It's just too neat for a wrecking yard and why have 3 Monaros and no Kingswoods lying around?
Also what is that English thing doing there? Is it a Wolsley or a Jag or something?

Ken
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: