FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:27:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: DONE MY DASH  (Read 14743 times)
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2008, 12:17:50 PM »

Just thought I would start a new thread on dash modifications in FE & FC I know of a few who have been down this path and it may help other members with this modification in mind. will have a shot of one that I have done soon. Who's DONE THEIR DASH ........FC427.........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 12:47:14 PM »

I get a lot of comments on mine.
Removed the factory speedo, fuel and tell tales and replaced with Autometer gauges the only mod for the speedo was an MDF ring to stop it slopping around. Had a panel shop fill the holes where the fuel and tell tales where, then carefully cut the holes for the Autometer gauges. I used a couple of bezel mounted LEDs from Jaycar for the indicator lights.

JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »

Phone +64 223509263
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »

Here's a pic that FC427 sent me of his soon to be completed dash.

Looks cool Mark.
I am sure you will tell us all about it now that we can see it.
Regards
Alex

Sideplate
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 10:16:58 PM »

That looks real kool 427, got any pics of yr build?
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 10:27:33 PM »

Thanks Alex for posting it for me .This is the dash I made for another members car I built, I have tried to keep it looking just like a FC dash the steering column goes between the two big gauges so it was necessary to move it over towards the pillar to get it in the right place It is fitted with a set of white VDO gauges and the fuel and idiot lights have also been colour matched to suit .will post a shot in the car soon  .....FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:11:41 PM »

Hey Mark
I wondered what it would look like in relation to  the column.
Did you extend the glovebox an equal amount to keep it symetrical?
Regards
Alex

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:32:30 PM »

Alex you caught me out I wanted to but did not extend the glove box lid, the owner was not that keen  still looks OK in the car.......FC427............

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:21:04 AM »

MArk,

Nice dash,

twin big dials are cool, although they need a fair amount of work to make them sit right.

To retain the flow and line, I cut and shut the right hand side too, so it is much shorter than stock.  This allowed the column to sit between the dials.
The left hand side was stretched to meet the standard glove box line.

I like the triple cluster... nice.

here's a build shot.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 09:14:21 AM »

Ed your right there It was a lot of mucking around to get it to sit right after the cut and shut but next one will be a lot simpler to do, Maybe should have pulled a mould of it and made a run out of fibreglass ones??? .......FC427........

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 09:46:57 AM »

You could make fibreglass dash boards but then someone else will have one.  Wink

I almost threw my dash board in the bin out of sheer frustration.  I put too much heat into it and it buckled quite badly.  A mate persuaded me to keep at it. I’m glad he did.  around this time I started to think about a fibreglass dash board too.

Fibreglass buckles with heat too.  If you lay up too many layers at once and make your mix too hot, as it sets it pulls tight just like a metal weld.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 12:52:29 PM by stinky » Logged

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »

sorry, tried to get 2 pics from photobucket on here, obviously FAILED. computer-illiterate old bastard...
Got as far as putting them on photobucket - jack_fc - FC dash - pics FC 001, FC 005; cant get any further. Maybe some of you computer whizzes can help! (and please dont refer me to the instructions in members cars - tried that; its all gobbldygook to me)
Think I'll go and do something I CAN handle; the beer fridge is in the shed Undecided

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 12:56:42 PM »

At least ya tried, all fixed.
A quick tip just click in the little window indicated below and paste that in your post for the image to appear.

Just40
qld-club

I cant fix my brakes, so I made my horn LOUDER

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 04:17:19 PM »

hey jack_fc thats along the lines i am doing for my fe wagon,is that a 4 inch speedo.

jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »

just40, tach n speedo are Smiths, 91mm OD bezel. Right hand gauge is combined oil pressure n water temp - I wanted a "clean" oldschool look; minimum gauges n knobs. Chrome push button start where key used to be (its now hidden under dash near handbrake). Knobs are chrome push/pull - off/on/on for lights
cheers jack

Just40
qld-club

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »

i also have a smith taco and speedo,and just had a temp and oil combo gauge rebuilt($176),i have cut mine pretty much the same as yours too.....

jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 08:59:21 AM »

just40, when possible some pics would be real interesting. What switches will you use?
cheers jack

Just40
qld-club

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »

when i get back to it i will put up a few photos,swapping the motor in my sedan at the moment to get it ready for mt gambier. for the switches i will be using the ignition and lights only,but in different position.

jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 08:44:51 PM »

will be looking for it at the Nats
cheers jack

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: