FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:17:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2 speed wipers  (Read 4765 times)
Liam Moloney
« on: August 11, 2002, 06:05:49 AM »

Hi
I pulled a wpier motor off a VN this week and noticed the 3 holes for the mounting bracket were very similer to thoise of the EK.
The motor was even a Prestlite.  Has anyone used a vn wiper motor in a FC FE before and if so, what else was involved.
thanx Liam
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2002, 08:16:26 AM »

Liam - I have been investigating these as well as a few other late model motors made by Preslite.  
Some bolt up OK and some even have the correct spline to connect to the EK wiper arms, but.......
they operate differently to the early ones and have a 3 wire switch - one of these wires is the park wire.

Most of these late model motors have either stalk switches or binnacle switches and I have not found a switch yet (don't know whether one exists) which will -

a)   bolt into the FE/FC dash, and
b)   take an FE/FC knob (even harder to find)

Ken

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2002, 08:53:57 PM »

If you can sort out the switch and wiring problems, the motor will fit, with a bit of persuasion of the firewall, and the ek rotating arm will fit onto the spline of the motor, just make sure it sits horizontally when the motor is bolted in.

ekdave1962

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:06:15 PM »

hi guys i have an ek but lurk around here getting idea etc i resently fitter a commo wiper motor to the EK but made a mounting bracket to fit it in side .. but have yet to work out the wiring found the slow fast terminals with out any problems but making it return to home is the next problem ..

anyone worked this one out .. im guessing one of the pins needs to be active all the time to make this happen ?

David
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 07:58:32 AM »

Hey Dave,

the third wire is the park wire.  turn it momentarily on to tell it to park.
I will dig out my wiring diagram, it was a bit of a mind bender but eventually i got mine to work.

Switch used was an older commodore negative earth switch which isn't really ideal as I had to use them to activate 2 relays, 1 for slow, 1 for fast.

I will need to check how I activated the park wire, probably +12V from the motor speed wire (either fast or slow) with a diode to prevent back feeding.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:58:33 AM »

I gave up on the Commodore motor and my 2 speed motor conversion uses a motor from a completely different vehicle that allows the use of a dash switch that can use an FE or FC knob.  For $85 plu postage, I will supply a motor and switch with wiring diagram to bolt up to your EK base plate and that will hook straight up to the two small arms from an EK motor. It also has the ability to run screen washers from the switch as well.
Almost forgot, the EK motor must be a Preslite one, not a Delco.

Ken
bent8-58

The older it gets-the slower it was!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 09:23:23 PM »

I dont know if this is any help to anyone, l used a UC Torana wiper motor & reversed it to sit inside the car (nightmare!) & to "simplify" things l ended up using the whole UC harness under the dash to match up with the UC column & switches etc. After l did mine l heard a few whispers that a comm. wagon rear wiper motor is a pretty good donor motor too.

I LOVE CATS.....BUT I CANT EAT A WHOLE ONE BY MYSELF.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: