FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:37:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Volvo rear end in an FC?  (Read 14382 times)
MikeM
wa-club

My v6 "upgrade" was about better brakes :(

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2002, 09:44:24 AM »

I heard recently that for rear disks in a FC that I could possibly use a volvo disk to disk diff assembly and replace the spring hangers.  Does anyone have any details on this?

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2002, 08:13:11 AM »

Yes people, it can be done Shocked.

Sacrilege, you may yell Angry, but it is an easy conversion & has the same bolt pattern as an EH & a 1 inch narrower track (wider tyres can be fitted).
The diff ratios vary, but are all good & the diff is a DANA 44 (I think that was it) which is BLOODY strong!!
I have emailed Mike with some info, but it took awhile for me to get around to replying to this ad.

OK, you can mock me if you like, but it is a great, cheap conversion.
4hammers

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2002, 11:00:07 PM »

How strong is bloody strong? The motor that is going into my FE broke a banjo open wheeler in 4 weeks of reasonably normal driving, the LSD Banjo fared better, but I was told to at least get a Commondore diff.
How much do they go for ?

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2002, 04:57:39 AM »

The diff they used i the Volvos are the same diffs they use in the Jeep of today (i.e. Wrangler & Cherokee). The Dana was a strong diff & I am told in comparison with a Ford 9 inch, it was about 90% as tuff!!
Back in the late 70's & early 80's , it was being talked about in some of the Tuff car magazines. There is an article in the "Supercar" magazine which raves about the simplicity (but the swap never seemed to take off. Probably the Volvo stigma). The only bother is getting the brakes to operate perfectly. But with a bit of expert  help (PBR or some brake place like that), today it would be much easier.
You had to make up some sort of bracket to re-direct the hand brake cable, as in the Volvos, it ran down the tail shaft hump, connected on top of the diff housing, then ran out to the shoes. The Discs run on a completly different system to the Hand brake. Inside the disc rotors (where the wheel studs press through) there are a small set of drum brakes, this is for the handbrake system.
As for the cost, I sourced one out of a 245 wagon (3.36 ratio) that had had the discs machined recently, was all there, & could probably have used the pads as they were new when the car was wrecked, for $200.
All that was required was the welding on of the right spring mounts, brake set up, new uni joint on my existing tailshaft & off I go.
If you need anymore info, I could probably dig out the old "Supercar" magazine.
Or you could go to a Volvo site & see if there is any info on ratios there.
4hammers

EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2002, 11:21:50 PM »

4hammers,

could you send me the info you sent to MikeM. It sounds like an interesting conversion.

Do you need to modify the tailshaft?

If you have bucket seats it sounds like it might be an idea to swap to a tunnel mounted handbrake lever too ie do the whole Volvo handbrake thing.

Thanks,

David
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2002, 06:13:25 AM »

Hi David.
The idea of a hand brake in the middle betwwen the buckets makes everything a lot easier. You can use the Volvo one if you dare!
The tailshaft has to be shortened by a fraction, & you need to have the original Volvo uni joint welded onto the end of your existing tailshaft. A job for the professionals.
I will have a dig around in the shed & see if I can find the mag with all the right specs.
4hammers

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2002, 07:02:59 AM »

Very interesting researching the Volvo Rear Ends.

- The lower the ratio the cheaper and more available they are.

- I can get a 3:54 diff disc to disc for $375 in Adelaide.

- The hard (and expensive) part is getting LSD for the diff.

- Apparently there are 2 types of diffs used on the Volvo, a Borg Warner and a Dana. Maybe the Borg Warner is similar to the Commodore Diff and can use the LSD Parts?

FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2002, 10:15:01 AM »

Hi Guys
Here's a bit of info on Dana's, where to find the model , ratio  and if LSD or not. Might make life a bit easier...
Hope this helps
Cheers
Tony

« Last Edit: May 15, 2002, 10:21:16 AM by IhadaV8 » Logged

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2002, 12:33:43 AM »

Cheers TOny, for DANA info.
My Jeep has a Dana, now I can identify it!
Makes the engine conversion that much simpler...
U r encouraging distraction from the real project!
Ed

in the shed
My Name Here !
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 10:44:55 AM »

Grin

These diffs are so strong that many drag racers use them as an alternative to the nine inch and have a good variety of ratios. I actually know someone who may still have one for sale with discs I dont know the condition Its come out of a car but he wants $500 for it which is about one third the cost of my  nine inch. If interested give me a call on 0403172873 and Ill see iff he's still got it..all the mods are done to fit into an FC (apparently)
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 12:41:56 PM »

i just sold one two months ago on this site for $100, the trouble is most early volvo diffs have ratio's like my one of 4.11 to 1,the front rear bias is done by using a proportioning valve from a hq holden, when you look at them they are very similar to a ten bolter and actually have a backing plate that has ten bolts,but the axle's are huge almost unbrakeable easily as big as 9inch in diameter,my one came from an early volvo 144 if my memory serves me right,and was 2 inches shorter allowing nice wide wheels to be fitted,my mate used one the same in his FJ ute with HR disc brake front end thats how i know about using the HQ proportioning  valve, i did not know about the Dana diffs being the same,you learn something new  everyday as they say.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 12:43:40 PM by nicko » Logged

Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 07:34:10 AM »

Hi Guys.

Just thought i'd add my 2 cents worth here. Be careful with the Volvo diff swap.

Yes, the diff used is a Dana, but it's not the Dana 60 as used in Jeeps, some hi-performance US Chryslers & even F-250 Fords. The Dana 60 is a good super strong diff, better in some ways than the Ford 9".

The diff in the Volvo is a Dana 44, its little brother. Sure it's stronger than a Banjo & it has discs, but there are some drawbacks. It's not as strong as a VN-VN Commodore 4 pinion B-W diff & the brakes aren't as good, but it is cheaper because you don't have to shorten it.
Also -
1. Ratio choice is lousy, most are 4.0:1 or lower.
2. LSD centres are like hen's teeth.
3. The track is actually a bit too narrow, requiring wheels with reduced offset. (Limits your choice of wheel)
4. The diff pinion & the tailshaft are in the centre, the original Holden is not, the tailshaft or rear uni will hit the tunnel especially with lowered suspension.
5. If you can afford it the Commodore conversion is the way to go. Almost unbreakable, good ratio choice, LSD available, modern alloy PBR caipers & tailor made exactly to fit.

Regards.

Dr Terry.
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 10:39:21 PM »

Big BUMP here to drag this one from the vault  Grin

I found some info about the "lokka" from 4wd systems, they list a fitment for Dana Spicer 44 diffs. I haven't made proper enquiries yet but they advertise these "lokka" units starting from $499.
So a cheap, disc braked, shorter than stock, locked on demand diff might be a reality after all  Shocked
The only con is the ratios I guess  Undecided

Kat58

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 07:25:18 PM »

i wasn't able to access ED's info on Dana 44's how DO you identify what ratio these diffs have and if it's LSD. I guess th trick is to run tall tyres to change th ratio,seems th perfect tuff diff for our 38rat PU. Due to th wheel offsets i'd allready dismissed th diff for our slammed early holdens.
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 08:04:48 PM »

Hi Kat58
Here's how to find out what ratio etc you have

"All Spicer Carrier Type axles are identified with a manufacturing date (1) and Bill of Material number (2) stamped on the right or left hand tube driving axles. The axle model number will be cast into one of the webs as shown (3), or it can be on the nose. Each axle contains a gear ratio tag (4), and if the axle is equipped with a limited slip differential, it will have a tag specifying the type of limited slip lubricant to be used (5)"

You'll find a bit more info here:
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/facts/axles/axlefacts.htm

Cheers
Tony

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 10:12:33 PM »

I am getting mixed info on these bloody Volvo diffs, I have been told that the diff from a 80s or later  240 is the Borg Warner which is supposed to be the one that suits early holdens but even the Volvo wrecker couldn't give me any details or numbers.
The Dana diffs were supposedly fitted to the 740 and 760s, but are too wide for a "drop-in" fit to an early holden.
I'll post info as it comes to hand, unless I give up   Cheesy

cajerridoc
sa-club

WHAT TO DRIVE TODAY?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »

Glenn,
         Tony from Olde Oldens uses the Volvo diffs for his conversions so while you are asking him about the Torana front ends you can check out the back ends.

Robin

The sticker says "I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden". I agree, I'd rather they pushed their Ford than drive MY Holdens!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: