FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:15:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Horn Position  (Read 2299 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2021, 06:52:04 PM »

Hi All,

I am in the process I putting the wiring loom and little bits and pieces back together with my FE. I did take many photos of before but one I didn't was the position of the horn. Now when I have reinstalled it after a lick of paint, the wires don't seem to be long enough. Please see photos below.

I am not sure what I have done. Does anyone have a photo of the position of the horn I can compare to?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers Rod
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 07:26:28 PM »

Looks like it should be rotated around to put the screws underneath where the wires currently are. Have you had the two halves of the horn apart?
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 09:52:20 PM »

Hi Ken,

Thank you. Gee it has been some time since I gave the horn a coat of paint. If my memory serves me correctly, I think I did pull the horn apart for a clean and then paint. I will investigate if I have put it back together incorrectly.

I did a quick 180 degree turn as shown below and now the terminals are on the other side and line up with the leads ok. But it doesn't seem right. ie: the horn seems to be forward too much (won't know fully until I put grill in) and the main body of the horn is now not in the recessed section of the radiator cowl (I hope that makes sense).

Thanks again Ken. I will dismantle and see if I can get it aligned properly.

Cheers

Rod
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 08:11:58 AM »

Hi Rod ..I had the same problem when reassembling my FC sedan , I wish I could remember exactly ,but my vague memory tells me I had the mounting bracket on wrong way around ,i do recall like you it was a mystery till the penny dropped and then it was straight forward..hope that is it ..Vern .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 09:51:16 AM »

The dome goes the way you had it originally. I think the horn body needs to be rotated on the horn base. It’s hard not having a horn here that I can play with.

Ken
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 09:00:27 PM »

Hi Ken and Vern,

Thank you! As it turns out, the internal horn body was out out by one hole if that makes sense. Thanks Ken for the heads up. I had to rotate it one hole clockwise and I think I am in the right spot now, even though there isn't much room for error in the length of the wires.

A huge shout out to Gary for emailing me some photos of a couple of horns which showed the correct position. Thanks so much.

Cheers Rod
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 08:13:13 AM »

Thanks Rod ,penny dropped again..Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 08:58:43 AM »

Good stuff Rod, sometimes it’s hard to explain in words what you can picture in your mind…..

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: