FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 08, 2024, 11:06:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Found Object  (Read 187586 times)
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 09, 2024, 10:00:13 AM »

Blacky,

The vinyl the trimmer suggested is very close to the original in both colour and texture.  It will be fine for the everything except the door trims, which (hopefully) will just need to be re-carded.  And I don't care if the door trims look second-hand . . .

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 21, 2024, 10:00:14 PM »

The series of wet weekends has run its course.  Naively I assumed I'd be able to do some car work this weekend.  Nope.  Didn't count on the wind.  Another tree blew down.  The carport-catastrophe tree of October 2012 flattened the carport.  The mini-tornado branches of November 2019 clobbered the house and squashed the ex-Malcolm Young Merc.  This one was like the east-coast-low tree of June 2015 in that it had the good sense to miss the house.  But it fell on the drive, so I can't get to the back of the house without some gymnastics.  And the deck railings (repaired in early 2020) are looking very second-hand.

I filled a green bin with foliage and sawn-off branches.  I reckon I made it weigh a quarter of a ton.  It took, shall we say, no small effort to wheel it up the drive to the kerbside.

Rob

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 22, 2024, 01:08:05 PM »

Hi Rob,
Sorry to here that. I had a branch just miss my Calais when I was at my daughters at Oatley.
Very strong winds indeed.
Cheers
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 24, 2024, 08:07:45 AM »

Three ute loads of small Blue gum green tips , bark and sticks and about 30 branches thick as your wrist 2-3 meters long ..At least nice fire in the paddock at end of day ...

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 24, 2024, 08:43:44 AM »

I need to buy a decent mulcher. Borrowed one once that would consume branches as thick as your forearm. Big heavy flywheel on it. I thought about converting the blue 202 out of my EK215.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 04, 2024, 09:57:04 PM »

Fallen tree cleared away.  Took me three weekends, but I still have ten digits.
So now I can get down the back yard to retrieve "Found Object's" front seat and take it to the trimmers.  I got the retrimmed rear seat last week (photos to come), but . . .

The grey FC's clutch slips even when I drive around town.  Can't put this off any longer.  I bought an Exedy clutch kit on Friday.  Now to replace the clutch.  Yes.

Rob

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 05, 2024, 11:32:12 AM »

One thing at a time, preaching to the converted I know….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 11, 2024, 03:28:03 PM »

Cleaning out and painting the inside of the RHR wheel arch, I thought, was going to be a nice, routine, well-defined task.

No.  Nothing's routine.  A couple of spot welds to the brace at the top of the wheel arch had torn through, probably at assembly, and I figured I'd clean up the site and re-weld where the spot welds tore.  But this is what the clean-up revealed:

Water got through, and the rust set in.  And the return of the brace has rusted out in one place.  Access from the boot is too hard, so I'll go at it from inside the wheel arch.  Next weekend.  For now, I'll concentrate on the portion of the wheel arch I paint-stripped and rust converter'd.

Rob

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 18, 2024, 09:57:17 PM »

I managed the repair to the RHR wheel arch this afternoon: cut out a piece of sheet, lay in place, put masking tape around as a template, cut out the rusty part, drill a couple of spot-welds, repair the brace's return, drill for plug welds, lay in place and zip it up.

But I'm having imgur troubles, and uploading images is defeating me at present.

And in other news, the front seat is at the trimmers' being re-trimmed.

Rob

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 19, 2024, 08:58:39 AM »

what trimmer are you using Rob ?

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: August 19, 2024, 09:46:29 AM »

Vern,

The Little Trimmer in Castle Hill.

Rob

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 19, 2024, 10:32:09 PM »

Signing out of imgur and signing back in seems to have done the trick.  A bit like the old "have you turned it off and back on again?" thing.

Here's Sunday's repair:

I went in with the strip'n'clean disc and breathed some black primer over the repair so it won't rust.

Rob

Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 19, 2024, 11:32:11 PM »

Very neat and tidy work!

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 20, 2024, 10:45:05 AM »

Yep.  I surprised myself.  Once I got my welding-helmet-clad head into the wheel arch, access wasn't great.  Also, it was getting late in the afternoon.  Normally, these two things mean crappy welds, but this time it went well.

Rob

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 24, 2024, 05:40:25 PM »

(Off-Topic Post)

Executive Summary:  Grey FC's clutch and pressure plate replaced.  Cylinder block water jacket hosed out.

No-Shit-Sherlock Moment:  No, I'm not in my early 20s any more.  Attempting to lift the gearbox back into place defeated me.

TLDR:

I took the flywheel off and removed the welch plug at the back of the block.  My goodness.  Was there some mud and scale in there.  Working from inside the car I hosed the sludge and scale out until it ran clean.  Then I put the welch plug back in.  Yes, I know.  You're not supposed to do that.  But this appears to be a superior-grade stainless steel welch plug, and I Silastic'd the hole in the block and the plug before driving it back in.

I'm stumped as to why the "old" clutch slipped.  The old driven plate and pressure plate appear to be in perfect condition.  The flywheel face is fine.  No grooves, no hot spots, no discernible wear.  I chose not to get the flywheel machined.

Faced with defeat at the bench-press, I improvised a transmission jack by cable-tying a 15x6x1" piece of wood to the trolley jack, which I could sit the gearbox on.  But I still needed to get the gearbox onto the jack, under the car.  See "bench-press", above.

But I can tell when I get tired.  I do things in the wrong order.  Screws which normally behave want to cross-thread.  Parts don't line up.  I wondered why I couldn't get the clutch cover screws to start.  I had put the clutch cover in backwards.  The passenger's rear engine mount bracket bolts didn't feel like they tightened up right.  I had caught the exhaust pipe bracket between the gearbox face and engine mount bracket.  I used a hacksaw blade to clean the slots in the transmission tunnel cover's screw heads with a hacksaw blade and then, predictably, the blade slipped and the red stuff came out of my finger.  The transmission tunnel cover itself gave me grief.  The screw holes didn't want to line up.

Anyway, it's done now.  The Exedy clutch kit seems to be of good quality.  Interestingly, the Exedy driven plate's quite a bit lighter than the PBR/Clutch Industries one.  The facings are the proper 203 mm/8" OD.  Pedal effort is less than before, and it takes up 1/3 of the way off the floor, rather than 3/4.  It doesn't shudder or rattle on engagement.  Let's see what happens in 10000 miles.

Rob

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 24, 2024, 08:06:47 PM »

Man I've had days like those.

I'm stumped as to why the "old" clutch slipped.  The old driven plate and pressure plate appear to be in perfect condition.  The flywheel face is fine.  No grooves, no hot spots, no discernible wear.  I chose not to get the flywheel machined.

Any chance the clutch springs are not springing as they should?

Cheers,
Harv
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 24, 2024, 08:29:58 PM »

Harv,

That's the conclusion I came to.  Either the pressure plate face got machined down too much at reconditioning, or weak pressure plate spring.

Rob

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: