FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:25:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cams FC Resto  (Read 170048 times)
camxsmith

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2017, 03:14:36 PM »

Update

Have cut out firewall section, and have replacement tacked into place. had to do some adjustments as I had not thought through to the steering columns position, and how it would intrude on the pedal. But i have now got that fixed.
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2017, 06:56:58 PM »

Good stuff....

Regards

Wayne b
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2017, 01:05:20 PM »

Steering box has been rebuilt, all new bearings and seals. I used the Penrite steering box lube which is a really runny grease.  Just need to decide on a colour and paint it.

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »

What steering box you using Cam? Looks like HKTG maybe for more mechanical advantage when you fit wider rubber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2017, 09:28:19 PM »

Your got a good eye its a HK, I have the collapsible steering column that came with it.  I think my biggest concern is to just get the it mounted in the correct position as the mounting holes are a little different. But i have a plan  Grin Grin
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2017, 10:10:31 PM »

I hear say that three holes line up and a boss needs to be made up for the fourth. Very interested to see how you go with this. I believe there are two different ratios. Did you get the worm gear re done?

camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »

Clay I inspected the worm gear for dents and wear , and it looked ok so i did not do anything to it. Once back together it feels tight with out and adjustments. I want to get the steering wheel connected before making too many claims that its all great.   Grin

Got the master cylinder (XA,XB) and front rotors (HT V8), checked and a new seal kit in put in. Got it done a Lusky's in Ballarat. Nice guy in a little work shop, was really helpful. Explained everything and full of really interesting info, and showed me all the workings of the shop.  Was really cool.   

Finished cleaning up the fire wall, had to weld on the inside of the car. Was not happy with a section so cut it out and weld a new section in. Painted the pedal assemble. Was happy to see it all bolted up.  Will now move back to the rear floor section.

Sorry a bit blurry this one

Has anyone used anything other then the KBS Numetal to repair their steering wheel cracks. Huh
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2017, 08:42:48 PM »

Cam   

l have used 'Sun-Fix '    two part epoxy putty . you can buy it off eBay 
     done two fc wheels already and found it great to work with, fills well and sands back good
      still have a little left after two steering wheel repair jobs so it goes along way

greg(fcwagoon)
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2017, 09:04:14 PM »

Cam ,don't want to say too much on the forum but I might have an idea on that wheel repair .Can call me on 0755477094 .Haydn
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2017, 10:29:38 PM »

Clay I inspected the worm gear for dents and wear , and it looked ok so i did not do anything to it. Once back together it feels tight with out and adjustments. I want to get the steering wheel connected before making too many claims that its all great.   Grin

👍what is the reasoning behind using the later steering box Cam, is it for the collapsible column or the bigger ratio?
Cheers
Clay

camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2017, 04:36:19 PM »

Clay I inspected the worm gear for dents and wear , and it looked ok so i did not do anything to it. Once back together it feels tight with out and adjustments. I want to get the steering wheel connected before making too many claims that its all great.   Grin

👍what is the reasoning behind using the later steering box Cam, is it for the collapsible column or the bigger ratio?
Cheers
Clay

The reason is the collapsible column,  and it shouldn't be to hard to get it to to bolt straight in.  And I picked it up for free.   Grin Grin
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2017, 09:41:21 PM »

👍👍

camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2017, 12:34:23 PM »

Have been doing some work on the steering wheel.  Its a EH Prem wheel and making it match the HK auto column. Needs a final sand and will be taking it off to get 2 Pak black.

Gap made using Dremel

Proxy putty pushed into the gap

Enlarged the diameter to match column
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2017, 08:06:22 PM »

Clever stuff Cam, will look great and keep people guessing how you did it.

Ken
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2018, 09:47:07 PM »

Got some lovely red text for the first time saying its been over 120 days ..   ooops its been a while on the updates then   Grin

Hope every one had a great break  Cheesy

Well had the steering wheel painted gloss black (2 pac) and I have painted the next two sections in gloss as well happy with the results.  EH/EJ prem wheel on a HK auto column.

Also been working on the XB fuel tank and its mounting.
first cut a big hole

Second make a frame on the tank so its s nice snug fit.

Insert frame onto the hole. I cut the frame to have a slot all way around and was put on in sections. The frame sits on a 10mm original floor lip down each side, and slips into a slot at the back. The diff hump rear sheet metal is repositioned to meet the frame.

A few more test fits and clean up the frame will be done. Then will look at moving tank inlet and then I will use a KBS kit the inside and out side of the tank. Stop rust and seal any pin holes and the seam of the tank.

Will try not wait 120 days for the next post.. Shocked
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2018, 09:22:52 PM »

Well I got the tank in and looks neat

Had a bit of rust to remove under the brake light on the back passenger side .Done

Also need to replace the entire long narrow piece under the very rear of the car. Only have this cut out at this stage. Need to clean up and give it a coat of weld thru prime.

Its amazing the rust that's under that original black seam sealer ..  Its really stuck on the car well, but under it is rusty as hell..  Its worth removing and replacing.
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2018, 11:02:05 PM »

Looking great Cam looking forward to lots more photos and don't let it go over 120 again alright 😜
Regards
Neil
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2018, 11:57:24 AM »

Some really nice work Cam.
I found rust under the old seam sealer also & guessed it was just due to the stuff becoming porous &/or cracking with age. I agree it's worth pulling out & replacing to avoid surprises later.

Dave
0417 270 315
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2018, 08:41:14 PM »

Two new rear lower quarters going in, Half way through the drivers side which was the worst.. 

pre cut and removed spot welds

A little rusty on the inside  Shocked   Sand blaster can not get behind the inner wheel wells

Finished inner wheel well section of rust

Hole to patch.  Then move on to the tricky inner lower boot section with the three pressed panels.

GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2018, 11:44:14 AM »

cam
         if your interested l have that inner square panel
         can send a pic
          lm in bacchus marsh

fcwagoon
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...