FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:36:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Timing Light  (Read 3800 times)
WARATAH
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:23:45 PM »

Hi,
The induction module on my xenon timing light appears to have given up the ghost. Could anyone have any idea how to convert the light into a direct connect unit if possible.
My memory of the older style timing light was that you removed the ignition wire from No. 1 Cylinder and attached one wire from the light which had a connector attached. The other wire from the Timing Light went direct to the spark plug.
My question is if it is possible to convert the timer, if so is the wire coming from the light and plugged into the connector which is
attached directly to the spark plug the positive wire or is the wire which attaches to the lead removed from the No 1 cylinder spark plug the positive?
Any assistance would be appreciated

Dennis
87 velo
nsw-club

Sydney

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:19:32 AM »

I,ve still got one of those type of lights (Vane) where you put the light in series with the HT lead and it is incredably dim, being an older mechanic I,ve found that all that style of light are equally as bad.  If you don't have a dark place to work when checking the ignition timing I wouldn't bother.

Most of the auto shops do those battery powered (2 D cell) inductive pick up timing lights, good value and reliable (don't let the inductive clamp snap shut when you use it or you end up cracking it)

I have a friend that will know if what you asked about your one is possible, so when I have an answer will get back to you.
Cheers Mick
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 10:21:26 AM »

I've got one of the Vane ones too.. the kids love it, and refer to it as "the bitey timing light". They love watching the HT arc and bite me. They learnt a few words of their vocabulary that way  Lips sealed.

Micks's right, they are pretty dim.

Cheers,
Harv
WARATAH
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:36:08 PM »

Hi Mick & Harv,
Thanks for your comments. I look forward to further input from your mate on the subject Mick.
As far as I can see there should not be too big a problem removing the pick up module and wiring the light as if it were a Vane type timing light. The module to my way of thinking is only a pick up device which transfers the spark signal to the light. By direct connection to the spark plug as with a Vane unit the result should be the same.
With a Xenon globe fitted the light emitted should not differ from a unit with the pick up module intact. In other words it should still be a bright light.
The more I think about it the more I am convinced that it will not make any difference which way it is wired as you would only be completing a circuit. That's my crazy way of looking at it but it would be nice to have that confirmed.
Regards
Dennis
mickrat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 08:09:09 AM »

as an auto sparky with 40 years at the game your theory of modifying your timing light to work from direct in series connection to the high tension lead wont work, the inductive pick up is only a trigger to activate the circuitry that fires the xenon light within the timing light, chuck it in the bin and go buy another one or you can use a test light connected to neg side of coil and earth, line up timing mark at top dead centre, loosen dist and turn till light goes out, then turn back till light just comes on, your in the ball park, engine should start...

1957 fe special sedan    (rusty one )    1958 business sedan   ( good one )   

WARATAH
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:06 AM »

Thanks for the info Mickrat.
Regards
Dennis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)