FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:58:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE or FC gearbox  (Read 2194 times)
bapi

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »

Technical Board

Over 35 years ago I dismantled an FE or FC Holden and still have the gearbox in Adelaide.  It was working fine before the car was dismantled and it has been kept under cover from the weather all those years. 

Would this gearbox fit either model?
Do you think this gearbox might still be useful to someone looking for an original?
What do you think would be a fair price for this old gearbox?

Thanks for your advice.

Bapi
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »
+1

G'day Bapi,

The gearbox will fit FX, FJ, FE, FC, FB and EK Holdens, but...
a) the linkages and gearbox levers differed between models. No problem if the new buyer provides their own linkages.
b) after 35 years, even under cover, the box will probably be pretty sad inside. Provided the box is not seized, it will probably work OK. However, the seals get old and crusty, so leaks from the rear extension, selector lever and shifter lever are likely. Bearings can brinell over time, giving vibration.

In terms of price, it can vary hugely. If you find someone busting to get a box, you could raise $100-150. Most people would pay around $50-100. A swapmeet price would be around $50. Some blokes will give them away a scrap. As always, this varies a huge amount - it is worth what someone is prepared to pay.

Cheers,
Harv.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »

I tend to agree, if the box was in good order when the car was pulled down then the gears themselves and the bearings should be ok. It would need a thorough clean inside and new seals as Harv says. I would price it in the range of $50 to $100 as well.

Ken
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »

pm sent
cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: