FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:06:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Victoria V8 laws  (Read 47860 times)
Sunday special

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »

Hi Forum,

Just out of curiosity???

What the current stance with Vic roads with converting to a V8 from a FC grey stock?
I see a few with Chevs ,was this before laws had changed?

I've heard a few different things over the years.

Cheers,
Rusty EK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:19:24 PM »

Have a read through this , this is the latest copy , and will tell you everything you need to do

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx
FCwagon
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:12:32 PM »

Unsure of what has changed since 2009 when I registered mine with a 253, but you'll need to start with an engineers certificate then RWC. Best to speak to an engineer first & they'll tell you what is needed.
cheers,  Leigh

Red & white is alright
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »

Based on Rusty's link, it appears the conversion limit has been reduced to a max of 4400cc or approx.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Rusty EK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »

G,day Ed

This is the new formula .

Not sure what FC,s weigh but I guess they are similar to EK,s

Vehicles 1100kg +, Normally aspirated is original mass (kg)x 5 = max capacity in cc , 

But you need to talk to your engineer , there is a heap of stuff you are going to have to upgrade to get it passed with that size engine .
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:18:57 PM »

I spoke to a engineer in the ACT today. The formula in the act is the same as in Victoria. The weight that they use for the FC is 1060kg. This limits the conversion to 4240cc. Anything beyond this and you will need to go have it classified as an ICV (Individually Constructed Vehicle)  This means that you will have to comply with all current AD/R regulations as it will essentially become a 2011 car (or 2012 or whenever you front up to the engineer).

I was advised that to get it comprehensively  engineered to an ICV would be approximately $3500.00 If the vehicle didn't pass and needed reinspection then that would be extra.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:09:13 AM »

Rusty,

Looks like that 253 lurking in the back corner of my garage may be of some use now!

Hope Mark gets his FB wagon through in time.

Good info Keith I guess NSW will follow suit soon?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Rusty EK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:26:17 AM »

That's a bugger , thought they would weigh about the same , EK,s  scape over the 1100kg cut off , they are making it harder every year.

Ed, You need to get busy with the 253  Wink
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 05:59:04 PM »

Forget the 253 Ed, go the V6 same amount of power for half the weight. Grin Grin Grin, Jack
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 09:13:07 PM »
+1

Good info Keith I guess NSW will follow suit soon?

Ed,

I don't know, If I had one that was a lot further along than I am, I would be doing everything that I could to get it registered before the laws are changed. It is probably inevitable, given that the guidelines have been changed by DOTAR and that they will probably go nationwide. Engineer that I spoke to, conceded that in his opinion, the laws were unfair, particulary in relation to the FE FC being under the 1100Kg mark when the FB EK make it over the line, yet are based on the same floorpan.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 10:06:45 PM »

In NSW from what I have been told by an engineer  is if you engage an engineer for your car before the new changes are implemented you will be given a time frame to finish your project before it has to comply with the proposed changes you may be given up to 12 months to complete your project and have it registered  under the old system  ......FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
chrisfc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »

I'd like to know how its possible to buy a 350 chev powererd motorbike thats fully adr compliant (google barbarian v8 chev motorbike to see the ad) And yet you cant put one in an fe/fc.
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 10:39:22 PM »

I'd like to know how its possible to buy a 350 chev powererd motorbike thats fully adr compliant (google barbarian v8 chev motorbike to see the ad) And yet you cant put one in an fe/fc.

You can put a 350 chev into an FC, so long as you are prepared to have it registered as an Individually Constructed Vehicle. If you elect to go down this route then everything must be ADR compliant to the current ADR's at the time of inspection and registration.

The issue that I raised was the cost of engaging the engineer to ensure full compliance with the current ADR's. FC's are classified as being under 1100kg so therefore to fit a larger V8 than a 253 falls outside the guidelines. To modify a vehicle with an engine outside the guidelines will require certification from an engineer who will certify that not only does it meet the current ADR's but it is safe and has been constructed in such a manner that no part of the safety of the car has been compromised. Essentially to have a modified vehicle registered, that has been modified outside of the guidleines essentially means that not only is the car certified to make sure that the modifications are safe, but the whole car complies with the current ADR's

This is no doubt why the person who is selling the motorcycle with the 350 chev fitted states that the motorcycles are fully ADR compliant, because the only way to get them registered would be to register them as an individually constructed vehicle.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 06:57:14 AM »

While we are on subject of bikes, how can most of the harleys be legally registered when the db levels emitted are far above any road car I've ever heard Huh I'm sure they must adhere to the 96 db rule as cars do?

I enquired recently wether it is ok to use a sc14 ( Toyota) supercharger on a 186 in an fc the answer is a strong no, due to the weight of the original vehicle. Even with extensive safety upgrades which increase the weight/ braking and strengthening. The biggest you can legally supercharge/turbo in a FC is a 179. But it's ok to put a V8. Huh Roll Eyes
Go figure. These are national guidelines. I enquired wether i can still do it with an engineers approval, again I was told no, they the engineers must adhere to the national guidelines.
So guys do your homework before you lift a spanner.
Stoopid isn't it Angry you can go out and buy some little jap crap with a turbo which weighs less and puts out more hp?   

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 08:15:42 AM »
+1

Smithy,

I got a defect notice for a loud bike so it does happen. I went home, put the baffle in the pipe, got it inspected, removed baffle and rode again.  You can get away with alot more on a bike... I put USD forks on an old GSX1100, frame mods and late model wheels.. no engineers cert, just rego and ride. the rego guys no nothing about bikes.  My current dirt/supermoto is not roadworthy but the cops don't notice it has no mirrors, non ADR compliant, blinker, headlight, pipe etc etc.. and yes it wears a rego label and gets inspected yearly.  oh they did notice one thing.. the number plate was bent!

the SR20 into FC is looking better all the time!

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »

I reckon that's a brilliant idea, it makes sense when people get over the "can't transplant another brand motor" and "if it's not an 8, it don't rate" mentality  Roll Eyes

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 08:44:40 AM »

.. not to mention light weight and powerful!

in the shed
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 10:04:57 AM »

I initially toyed with the idea of putting a turbo rotary into my FC, but installed a triple-webered 202 instead. I'm certain that I'd have far less rego hassles if I went for the rotary.  Undecided

Ol_Girl_58
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »

Probably the closest i have ever been to crapping myself was in a mazda 808 13B turbo it was the scariest ride in a car any gear as soon as it came on boost it let go i was in the back never again.

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 08:09:01 PM »

I just thought that I would look up the specs on this engine and came up with the following:

The "Black Top" S15 motor is the most powerful of the SR20DET engines, producing 250 horsepower at approximately 6,000 rpm.

I then checked on the table that is in the current DOTARS publication that allows for a conversion of 2.75 X the original weight of the car (1060kg), thus one would be legally allowed to fit a turbocharged (or supercharged) engine of up to 2915cc (2.75 X1060 = 2915)

So not only would the SR20 be within the guidelines so would the Nissan RB26DETT which gives the following figures (courtesy of Wikipedia)

The first 2.6 L RB26DETT featured twin-turbochargers and produced around 280 HP (206 kW) @ 6800 rpm and 260 ft•lb (353 N•m) @ 4400 rpm. The last series of the RB26DETT produced 280 PS (206 kW) @ 6800 rpm and 289 ft•lb (392 N•m) @ 4400 rpm. However, several stock (unmodified) engines have been dyno tested and reported to obtain closer to the 330 HP mark. The reason for this discrepancy is a gentlemen's agreement between Japanese automakers to limit the advertised horsepower of any vehicle to 280 PS (276HP). It is widely known for its strength and extreme power potential. It is not uncommon for 600 hp to be achieved without modification of the engine internals. With regular maintenance, many of these engines have been driven way past the 100,000 mile mark with a few heading toward 200,000 miles. With extreme modification, the RB26 motor is capable of power in excess of 1 megawatt (or over 1,340 hp).

I know that there are some on this forum that are going down this path and good luck to you. I just cannot see how an engine that produces this much power can be legal, yet a V8 that is a little larger in Cubic capacity than allowable, yet nowhere near half the horsepower, has to be registered as an Individually Constructed Vehicle.

Maybe I just need to do what Stinky advised and build a bridge and get over it  Embarrassed

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: