FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:22:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 60   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 365 weeks...  (Read 816238 times)
JB
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #900 on: May 24, 2014, 10:13:12 PM »

He can get fluid through the front and pedal goes down when it's meant to, but on the rears with the nipple open, it's a hard pedal no fluid... We think a blockage in the abs unit.

Phone +64 223509263
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 25, 2014, 11:12:54 AM »

I would agree by the sound of what you are getting. Modern brake systems don't like being left apart for long periods of time, lots of tiny valves and seals inside.
Try doing a temporary bypass of the abs unit to confirm the master cylinder pressure will activate the rear calipers.

Ken
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 25, 2014, 03:40:07 PM »

He hasn't done homework of 45 years, but my brother has been looking through Google about the ABS system, and seems that depending on how the vehicle stopped in the accident then a valve that modulates the brakes maybe closed, so before we pull it all apart and bypass as you say Ken, we are ging to try and wire the system up and seeing if this does anything.
This won't happen until I get over there in a month... So will let you know the result.

Cheers
JB
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 07:10:29 PM by JB » Logged

Phone +64 223509263
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 25, 2014, 06:04:22 PM »

Or a new abs unit?

JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #904 on: June 28, 2014, 02:35:41 PM »

Got to go and play on the ute for 4 days... Clutch gave us plenty of trouble. Got a replacement one off ebay but I got a later 99 model instead of a 98, after emailing the seller no reply so replaced the plunger in the old master cylinder. After bleeding and bleeding the clutch still couldn't get a pedal so went to the wreckers to see if they had another unit to try for us. Found one that was new but missing a circlip. Put it in and bled with a good result.
Brakes were another time consuming effort with the master giving very good pedal but no fluid through to the rear. Initially thought it was a blockage in the ABS unit so replaced it but presented the same problem... Not the ABS unit! Took that back and replaced the master cylinder, problem solved we now have brakes and clutch... So sick of brake fluid!!! Wired up the ABS sensors and decided to go for a spin. Sorry for the quality of the vid, just click on the photo.

It was awesome to finally get to drive it down the road!! The clutch problem referenced to in the vid was we had it failing again after the first lap back. The bracket cracked and we lost pedal again... Welded it up and got it all back again.

Ran out of time to look for the gremlins in the ABS and have a battery light on again... which is a little strange as i replaced the alternator a while ago and had it all running ok.

Hey Pete... Good luck keeping yours straight mate... didn't take much effort at all to have a little fun sideways!!!

Cheers
JB
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:18:37 AM by JB » Logged

Phone +64 223509263
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 28, 2014, 03:30:55 PM »

Outstanding JB. Nice sound.

Regards

Wayne b
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 28, 2014, 04:03:24 PM »

Great choice on paint too. Looks a million on the street.

Dave
0417 270 315
Ole

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 28, 2014, 04:06:32 PM »

That's great JB, now you can start to get excited!
Cheers Ole.

Adelaide SA
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 28, 2014, 06:28:57 PM »

awesome

gives me motivation.

FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 28, 2014, 11:05:19 PM »

JB

Great to see progress.

Keep the posts coming.

Love the colour
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: June 29, 2014, 08:50:27 AM »

Do you still have an alternator light on . Had a similar problem with commodore set up in my Vauxhall . Turns out the dash light draws a certain amount of current which excites a diode in the alternator and switches the light . There may be a resistor in the instrument cluster as well [ not shown in the workshop manual] anyway try a larger wattage bulb or as I did a 24v and it works . I discovered this by wiring a FC front indicator through the charge wire circuit . Haydn   
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #911 on: June 29, 2014, 09:17:54 AM »

Thanks Haydn, yes there is a zener diode in the alternator that requires a small current to flow to excite it and then the alternator to charge.

I have had it going before, and now it doesn't... even though nothing has been changed in-between. so was a little stumped. But ran out of time to have a decent look through, so hopefully when I get back I will be able to sort it.

I think the problems with the ABS after reading a bit more last night is that I didn't have all of the brake light switches hooked up which the ABS unit tests prior to operation. If it finds any fault it isolates itself giving normal braking instead.

Always a learning process.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: June 29, 2014, 07:11:21 PM »

Too cool JB,had a good chuckle when she stepped out across the road!Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
SC00P

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: June 29, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »

This is epic!!! Great read.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #914 on: June 30, 2014, 10:19:38 AM »

It's alive!

very inspiring JB.. Congrats on the milestone.
 Smiley

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
GM

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: June 30, 2014, 07:56:15 PM »

Wow, I've watched it a number of times now Jason, looks great. And yeah, needs the wheel alignment huh?

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: July 01, 2014, 04:04:46 PM »

Good stuff JB, sounds great. Looks like you got the right ride height on the front at last. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh. Cheers, Jack
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 05, 2014, 11:54:51 PM »

Hi JB

Looks and sounds great, your on the home straight now........I expect that we will see you and your car at the QLD 2016 Nationals.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 21, 2014, 08:22:09 AM »

Just got over for another couple of days on the ute, always frustrating when you have only a limited amount of time to work on it and then you have to run around and get bits and pieces chewing into that time... Rant over...
Managed to hook the power steering up and get it working for those who have the V6 conversions front end running power steering it works great! Nice and light and I think will have a decent turning circle when everything is aligned, and I get the ride height correct.
Got the vapour return line done, and secured all of the fuel lines underneath, so only have the Air Cond hoses to place under the drivers side guard before all of the panels can be gapped for the last time.
Also hooked up the dump pipes back up to make it legal, but will need another muffler each side as I think it is a little too loud for the authorities at the moment... Love the noise though.
Next will be to get some bits and pieces chromed to get the doors and tailgate closing on latches as well as the bonnet catches.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 25, 2014, 07:52:26 PM »

Hi JB, glad to see you're making some progress. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the turning circle, I know I was! Mine turned out better than an early commodore. Keep the good work up, Cheers, Jack.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 60   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: