FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:13:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How far are the Nat's away again?  (Read 21859 times)
20.4_seconds

The ox is slow, but the earth is patient!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2006, 08:47:43 PM »

Ok I worked out that it is 12v neg earth clock...but this means diddly squat to me  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Does anyone out there know anything about the connecting and testing of this little bugger.....

Anyone???

Cheers
Nick

All I  want for Christmas is a Smiths clock bracket and knurled knobs
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2006, 10:35:03 PM »

Nick,

I'm no auto-electrician, but it seems to me that there are two wires for the internal light and two for the mechanism.  There's apparently no presumption of an earth from contact with the car body.  This theoretically means that it can be used in either +ve or -ve earthed vehicles, so long as the fitting screw(s) are properly insulated (using a grommet or some-such).

But if you know it's -ve earth, then the green/yellow one would be the positive for the lamp, since the other appears to be earthed to the body of the globe-holder and hence the clock-body as well.

The other two must be for the mechanism itself, and the positive terminal would have to be the one that is insulated from the body of the clock.  It's a bit hard to tell from the photo but surely one of those terminals must be insulated.

It could be that the different posts on those terminals mean something to an auto-electrician, but as I said, I'm not one Smiley

Hope that helps.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2006, 11:37:06 PM »

I agree with RET, the smaller of the terminals on the back of the clock looks to be insulated so would be the +ve, whilst the larger terminal appears to be earthed to the clock body, hence it would earth to the bracket and then to the car body.
Lamp is the same.

Ken
20.4_seconds

The ox is slow, but the earth is patient!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2006, 08:42:41 AM »

Ret and Ken
Thanks once again for your infomative replys...I'd just be a lost, jibbering mess without you blokes  Grin Grin

You just don't want to wire something like that incorrectly and get that dreaded smoke smell of internal parts cooking.... Wink Grin

Nick

All I  want for Christmas is a Smiths clock bracket and knurled knobs
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2006, 09:05:25 AM »

Be very careful Nick,
Those clocks aren't worth much at all once you've let the smoke out of them Wink Tongue

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: