FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:50:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How far are the Nat's away again?  (Read 21865 times)
20.4_seconds

The ox is slow, but the earth is patient!

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2005, 06:05:44 AM »

Ok, I started on the wagon  Grin Grin  Tongue
I took the seats out to have a look at how bad it was, I suppose to a novice like me it looks abit ordinary...
I will highlight the areas that I'm most concerned with... Wink
Just the main floor area

R/H side centre

Rear - both sides

Now the front areas is where I'm most concerned, I've no idea so any replies telling me the good and the bad is really appreciated... Roll Eyes Tongue
Left front

Right front

If ya need more pics, just ask

Nick

All I  want for Christmas is a Smiths clock bracket and knurled knobs
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 06:27:36 AM »

Nick
     Looks like you are up for 4 new floor pans, under floor support rails. Could you post some photos from under the wagon. eg where the subframe mounts, cargo area, subframe rail under the radiator.
Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 06:33:51 AM »

mate im afraid you need more than new floor pans thats some serious rust which almost certainly goes down into your sills and subframe,but hey you have plenty of good help available on this forum,you are going to have to get some one here to have a close look at car to work out how you proceed or not.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 09:08:10 AM »

Nick, try not to look at the whole job at once, this is daunting.
Concentrate on a corner at a time.
Leave the sills in place at first and just cut out the floor in the shape of the new floor pan.  Once cut out you can fully assess the structural members under each floor panel
Repair each structural member as required, then weld in the floor panel.  Don't weld the floor to the sill panel if there is any doubt that the sill panel will need to be replaced.
Then proceed to the next corner Wink

Ken
20.4_seconds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 11:03:57 AM »

Thanks for the info and support guys,,,a little at a time and she will be fine..... Grin I will do a bit more investigating tomorrow and give it a really good clean out.
On a brighter note, I bought one old holden key at the Jindara swap meet last week for a 50c, popped it in to the ignition and she just slipped into lock...slid a piece of wire in and out popped the cylinder...woo hoo
Funny how such a little thing like that was bugging me when you see what I have ahead of me....lol  Grin
Until the next update
Nick

Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 06:53:54 PM »

Nick
    For what it's worth I have seen worse floor pans and have repaired them. Listen to what Ken has said as this is the best way to approach a job the seems doomed from the get go. Heaps of photos of what you have and if you can get heaps of photos of what it will look like finished, these can be used for reference points if you are away from the job for any period of time and need to freashen up the old memory bank. From what I can see in the photos you have supplied the rust repair floor section that you can buy are not going to cover the whole of the area that you will need to replace. It's always good if you can make a template of the piece you need to replace, this can be made of cardboard. Bend it cut and tape it into the shape you need as cardboard is a lot easier to work with than metal and cheaper. When you have made your template with all the cuts and nicks and folds just flatten it out and trace onto your metal. I hope to be coming down to Victoria in January to see my Brother and my Mummy so hopefully I will also have time to catch up with you and I am also hoping to catch up with Rusty the Phantom. But just one step at a time old friend and remember we are always here to help you when you need it. In saying WE I mean the 1000+ forum members as thats what we do help each other out when we can. Wink

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
20.4_seconds

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 09:49:02 PM »

Thanks Sarge, and everyone
I'm not too daunted by it at all...is that stupidity  Shocked
All part of the process, I mean for a $100 bucks I have to get some pain...Already had a tussle with the old girl...skinned two knuckles and busted my head on the steering wheel...but we are all good now.... Wink
I'm just taking a leaf out of the A-Team and McGyver...
I'm gona make something useful outta nothing... Tongue

Nick
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 12:16:43 AM by 20.4_seconds » Logged

20.4_seconds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 06:45:25 AM »

Bit of cutting here and there - right side  Wink
I pretty much tapped away with a screw driver finding soft spots then moved out about 2 inchs(more in some places  Roll Eyes) to hard metal and cut to that point.

These are of the front RH side, all the metal is solid, above and below even though it looks abit rusty - I belted crap out of it to check  Grin

My only concern is that part at the bottom of the A pillar?

The sill seems to be solid also...gave it a good belting

base of B pillar seems to be rusty and the sill is showing signs but will check more tomorrow

and last bit for now, where I'm pointing was floating? There is no weld what so ever..it didnt seem right to me so I thought I would check.

Nick

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 07:00:34 AM »

Nick A & B pillars dont look too bad.  just cut out rusty piece and make a cardboard template as suggested earlier, then weld it in.
Underfloor members all look to be in good order from the photos.  That rear floor one does float just like you have seen.  This is just the way it is.

Ken
Sarge
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 05:21:05 PM »

Nick
     Yeah what Ken said, all looks real good, that "A" pillar looks lovely compared to the last car I had in. At least you have metal to start with.
      Now that the Wagon is under way why not move this post down to Members Real Cars, with all the other great Resto Jobs that are under way at the moment.

Cheers
Sarge

0421 165 351
Hewart
nsw-club

Model: FC

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 07:14:48 AM »

Hey Nick...
I don't envy you mate, but good on 'ya for tackling the job!!!

Great pics!!

Good luck with it, looking good so far! Keep us posted!

Cheers
Les....

20.4_seconds

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 07:43:56 AM »

Thanks Les....
Having a ball ... Grin
Left side...not as bad on the left rear... Wink

Front left side A pillar and area needs a bit of love though...

Might needsome help with this one  Wink Wink

And new R/H  floor pans ready to go in when it's all nice and clean

Nick

p.s I'll let the powers that be decide where this post should sit...I think it may get quite large  Grin Grin
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 07:50:58 AM by 20.4_seconds » Logged

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 08:21:44 AM »

wow nick  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

youve got some work ahead of you  Lips sealed

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Sarge
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 05:07:27 PM »

Nick
    Are you going to repaint the wagon the same colour? I only ask this so as I can picture the woodgrain dash with the white background. Grin
     Dont get to ahead of yourself with the cutting, When your welding the floor section back into place remember to only tack them lightly along the inner sill. This way as Ken said if the sill does need to come out you dont have to recut it. Also it will put back a bit of support as you weld the rest of the section into place. If you are going to mig weld the section back into place try to avoid long runs of welding and just stich weld move from side to side, this will keep metal warping down, as it give the metal time to cool down while you are welding the other side. If I am telling you how to suck eggs just say so, (as I am pretty thick skinned) for I dont know if you can weld or if you have done this type of job before. Grin I do know you are Irish that why I have typed this reply very slowly. Wink Grin

Cheers
Sarge

0421 165 351
20.4_seconds

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 09:45:07 PM »

I have to weld it  Huh Shocked Shocked Shocked shit....
There goes the liquid nails idea..... Tongue

nah thanks for that Sarge...I'm just going along slowly slowly...have done a little welding..but only arc...so this is all new to me...being very careful with what cuts I've made so far...I will measure it all up and cut exact (ta Jamie!) when it's all ready to be glued..oooops welded  Grin
Some great websites out there with resto projects showing repairs to A pillars and the like....pictures help heaps cos I read tooooo slowly  Grin Grin
As for the colour...she is staying stock. well as much as we can keep her anyway....

Nick

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 08:16:16 AM »

Nick I agree with Sarge, you need to get some welding done rather than keep cutting, hence my original suggestion of doing one corner at a time.  You have now weekened the body structure and it WILL move and sag.

Also do a lot of practice first before starting with the mig welder.  This is a pretty straight forward floor replacement for those of us experienced in doing it, but not so easy for a first time user of a mig welder.  

Ken
20.4_seconds

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 08:32:28 AM »

Oooops I misunderstood the part  about cutting and welding, I thought you meant just weld a little at a time to avoid distortion.. Roll Eyes I've put the grinder away...

Will it matter if it is left like that for a week or two while I get the welding side of things organsied or should I get onto it right away?

Thanks for all your help so far Ken and everyone

Nick
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 08:33:56 AM by 20.4_seconds » Logged

SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 08:33:04 AM »

It was suggested to me that when replacing floors and/or sills to jack the car up and place 2x4's between the stands and the car running the length of the car to stop sagging.

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 09:48:23 AM »

man, after working on my floor every weekend since easter I reckon you should just por 15 all the rust as it was and cross your fingers when driving over the bumps.
Its painful to see some one back at the beginning of doing a rusty floor

how is your rear, is there much rust at the very back of the car?

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
20.4_seconds

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 07:12:18 AM »

I will update with some photos of the rear in the morning, going to need a petrol tank  Embarrassed unless they can be repaired?
Rust is'nt too bad in the general rear of the wagon but the petrol tank  and surrounding area is stuffed,

The point of my post is this question,
Anyone got any tips about removing chrome mouldings from the doors/front guards......ahh wait...without breaking the tabs or is it just one of those things ..if it breaks it breaks...

So what do I spray on them to loosen them - WD40. or..Acid? lol
Muchos Gracias  Grin

Nick

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: