FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:11:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE Trimatic  (Read 4903 times)
Liam Moloney
« on: May 22, 2002, 09:53:24 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has put a trimatic up against a 138.
If so what mods were needed.ie.  Bellhousing, which pressure plate to use.
Thanx Liam
craiga
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 10:47:39 AM »

Hey Liam,

Are you also planning to fit a supercharger Wink

Cheers,

Craig.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 11:38:33 PM »

With enough money, time and motivation you can do just about anything, no matter how crazy.  Apart from simply proving it could be done, why would you want to do this?

Having said that, you'll need serious floor and tunnel mods, which could well lead you to an engineer.  A trimatic will certainly bolt up to a 138 red, and will probably fit a grey - after all, you can bolt a red to a grey crashbox, so it's feasible to bolt a grey to a red slushbox I suppose  Grin

You won't need a pressure plate, though  Huh

Before spending any money on this venture, see if you can get a ride in an original EK or EJ automatic.  Not exactly a performance powerhouse, are they?  :-/

cheers
RET

PS I have fitted a 186/powerglide combo to my FE, so I have some experience in this area.  I like it, but I wouldn't do it again.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Liam Moloney
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2002, 08:24:10 AM »

Hi all
the reason i wanted to put the 138 back in is becouse i have a 173 in now with a trimatic and all the tunnel and chassis kit has already ben done and registered. I want the car on the road as soon as possible so if i put the 138 back in, i wont need an engineers report just yet and then i wil be able to put all the things like 2 speed wipers, dual circuit brakes in as i go along then put the 173 back in and get it engineered later on down the track>
Liam
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2002, 09:39:08 AM »

The only thing you haven't figured is that the red has side engine mounts and the grey doesn't.
Also the Trimatic doesn't have side mounts.
You can't mount an engine/trans combination on the strength of a grey front mount and a Trimatic rear mount, it just wont work!!!!! Shocked

Ken
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2002, 04:32:11 PM »

Give them a call at "Castlemaine rod shop".
I asked a similar question, & after getting the piss taken out of me for wanting to modify a "Shitty Grey" & "Why don't I get a real motor" (His words, NOT mine!!), I eventually got the info I wanted.
There IS a Tri-Matic to Grey motor adaptor, which I think has the Grey mounts attached.
Hope this helps,
4hammers

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2002, 11:18:52 PM »

Fair enough.  I guess cruising around with the grey+trimatic combo for a while should be all the incentive you need to put a red in  Grin

Having said that, the body mods you have done might require an engineer's report before you can get it registered anyway, regardless of engine.  I suggest you check before spending any more money on a stop-gap solution.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: