FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:28:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Injected 202  (Read 18068 times)
blacky

Model: other Holden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2005, 10:22:31 PM »

G`day all , I just bought a VK Commondore with a fuel injected 202 as a donor car and I was wondering if anyone out there has done this conversion before .
Is the harness for the fuel injection seperate to the rest of the cars wiring , a la VN etc ?
Is the factory computer able to be tweaked or am I better off tossing all of the factory stuff and getting hold of a Haltech , Wolf , etc brainbox ?
What about mounting fuel pumps inside FC fuel tanks ?
Any ideas much appreciated.

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
craiga
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 10:41:54 PM »

Blacky,

You need to send a PM to username 'Chuck' (Charles Lark) from the NSW Club. He has done this conversion before.

Cheers,

Craig.
blacky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 10:47:06 PM »

Thanks Craig , he wouldnt be going to the nats by any chance ? ? ?

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
craiga
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 11:35:10 PM »

Blacky,

Chuck will be at the Nats, and he is definately the man you need to talk to.

See you there,

Craig.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 11:43:51 PM »

Hi Blacky,

The Delco 808, which I believe the Vk uses is one of the most under-rated units ever made IMO.  also camira, astra, VN etc.

Far more versatile than a Haltech, Wolf or many other big dollar ECU's. C.O.M.E sings its praises highly.

Re-tunable by many places around the country.  Kalmaker allows the units to be re-mapped for good performance.

There is a forum dedicated to this, please google "kalmaker".  Alan Gibbs of Injection Connection is the main brain there, also Choco Munday who has written some helpful books on EFI , they really know their stuff.

Chuck is also into his EFI 6's and would be useful to pick his brain about stuff.

For my project, I have used the motor harness from a VN, the great thing is that a number of relays for things like headlights, fuel pumps, engine fan, A/C (if desired) and horn are easily added.  Also handy was the fusible links box.  I dont see why this couldnt be used for a VK if they share the same ECU.. keep in mind the engine harness only (VN anyway) has wiring for the sensors to ECU only, the relays were picked from the engine bay of a wrecked VN (V6 or V8 doesnt matter).

the EFI itself isn't so hard to wire up, but be prepared to spend hours routing it to the relays and fuse board of your choice.
Alternatively you can purchase "powerhead" harnesses with a hook up of several wires only.. easier if wiring is a little too intimidating or time is an issue.

fuel pumps...
the most basic set up would require a hi pressure pump and a return line from fuel rail to fuel tank.  

I'm sure u can get in tank hi pressure pumps, the depth of the tank to accomodate the pump would need to be determined.

Again, in my project, a low pressure (external) lift pump to surge tank feeding a hi pressure pump thru 3/8" lines was used although it isnt entirely necessary.

Also consider the original tanks breathe thru the cap, and this will hinder the flow of a high pressure pump, so an additional breather may need to be fitted.  A fuel neck from a EFI car does the trick.

As you will be sourcing most of it from a donor VK, Im guessing the little things like Vehicle Speed Sender (VSS) is included. this is often overlooked, however once agin adaptors to suit a range of gearboxes can be found quite easily.

Other performance stuff...

Im sure you can adapt different sized throttle bodies to suit the Holden 6.  Even if it were making a custom manifold and sticking 2 on there to resemble twin carbs!  ....now that would be cool.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 05:41:54 AM »

Hi Guys.

Ed, while you are correct about the Delco 808 being one of the best ECUs around, the VK uses a lousy old Bosch LE-Jectronic analog ECU.

They are simple & reliable but, you can't do much about reprogramming the various parameters.

Dr Terry.
blacky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 06:00:00 AM »

Thanks Dr. Terry , is it worth using the original stuff , or would the wolf , haltech , etc be the plan ??

blacky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 07:58:10 AM »

Been talking to Alan Gibbs from injection connection about this , and he tells me that the go is to grab all the electronic bits out of a 2Litre JE Camira and modify it to run the 202 !!
Who would have thought a Camira would ever be handy for robbing parts out of !! Its a funny old world isnt it ? ?

Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 01:09:10 PM »

Blacky

What is the reason for using the Camira ECU (4CYL?) over the VK?  Or is it more than just the ECU swap, i.e. sensors, harness etc...  Not doubting it, just not sure how it works.

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 09:33:26 PM »

Chuck,

That's just ditching the VK EFI in favour of the Delco 808.

it's tunable/re-programmable etc.  same as VN comm V6/V8.

batch injection, MAP set up.

Cheers

Ed

« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 09:34:15 PM by EH » Logged

in the shed
blacky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 10:03:40 PM »

As Ed said earlier in the piece , the Delco system is a big improvement over the Bosch system re:adjusting parameters and aftermarket go fast goodies.
As for how to make a 4cyl system fit a 6cyl donk , I havent got a clue , but I have emailed Alan back with that question so hopefully he can shed some light on the subject.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 10:14:34 PM »

Blacky,

the system will work with any number of cylinders.

as it is a batch injection all injectors fire simultaneously.

its just a matter of hooking up the number u need.

im not sure on what u would use for the ignition module and distributor tho. Hall Effect dizzy reqd (maybe VK EFI unit??)

u can adapt a commodore (or camira dependent on size) throttle body as well to the Holden 6 quite easily, this will have ur TPS and IAC.

sensors reqd these are all the same on any application.

MAP manifold air pressure
MAT manifold air temp
CTS coolant temp sensor
TPS throttle position sensor
VSS vehicle speed sender
O2 sensor

ECU controls
IAC idle air control
injectors
igntiion module and distributor.

Cheers

Ed

try going for a twin throttle body set up on the Holden 6, that would ne super sweet!!!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 10:18:22 PM by EH » Logged

in the shed
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 08:05:31 AM »

Hi Guys.

I think the reasons he suggested using a Camira JE 2 litre system are.

1. Is they use the same 808 Delco ECU as a VN/VP etc.

2. Unlike a VN V6 they use a dissy with a reluctor (maybe you could use the VK reluctor to drive the Camira's dissy module).

3. JE Camiras are cheap & plentiful.

One point, about using all the same sensors, be careful with the TPS they come in both LH & RH rotation.

Dr Terry.
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

Model: FC

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 05:41:32 AM »

Whats wrong with a set of carbies seems less complicated
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 07:47:01 AM »

I tell you what's less complicated, my wife's late model grocery getter. Starts first time, runs right on 800rpm at idle regardless of the conditions, gets good fuel consumption... and what's the difference?... electronic fuel injection.

No question what I'll be running.

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2005, 12:17:59 PM »

I was wondering how this is going, I will be running a EFI manifold from a vk and want to know if I will have to butcher the firewall, my engine sits rite back about 4mm off the seem on the firewall.
also can you use the black motor headers, Ive noticed they are 6-3-1 and run 3 y peices side by side wich looks to be near the subframe rails.if these dont fit do I nead two use custom made headers?

btw I plan to run a pair of 2" SU's, as simple as they come.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 12:25:21 PM by FCCOOL » Logged

blacky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 08:35:22 PM »

Unfortunately this project has come to a screaming halt due to the fact that the car I was going to put it in was the one I didnt end up buying just before the nationals.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »

Blacky,

That's a shame was looking forward to following the progress on an EFI 6 which was hopefully using the Delco.

Leon,

Curious as to why you plan to run twin SU's on an EFI 6 manifold?  Arent these the type that run up and over the rocker cover which reduce in size for a single throttle body?

Or are you planning to use a Supercharger etc?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 10:09:07 AM »

yes, the carbs will be on a adapter on the super charger, ducting will run from were the throttle body was to the outlet on the super charger, apparently the vk manifold gives more power than any other method other than designing and casting a manifold from scratch.
the crs kit comes with a 2 barrel manifold with a adaptor to attach the ducting but everyone seems to change this to a VK manifold sooner or later for better performance.

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 08:54:38 PM »

just a quick question, would the VK manifold fit up to a red (186) head, or how much mods are needed to make it fit. any ideas?
cheers

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: