FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:15:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: supercharged v8s 2 fcs-ek?  (Read 12554 times)
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2005, 10:45:29 PM »

hi, darcy here

im doin ek as some of u have read ive got my 307 with full portings and matching performer manifold and im still wonderin whether to bother buying the supercharger

any1 got some ideas of what work i put into it
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 12:14:03 AM by torquefc » Logged

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 11:10:53 PM »

I guess it all depends how fast you want to go darcy!?

You've done the right thing by going a 307 over a 308 as it will fit (a little) easier due to the location of the oil filter.

A supercharged EK would be fairly unique although you may struggle for space. It all depends on your budget I guess, as well as how you plan to register it.

Think about insurance premiums down the track as well.  It may well be too expensive when you're 17 to drive it!

Although if you've got the time and money... why not?

Dave Cheesy
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 11:26:49 PM »

Darcy,

I may be mistaken, but the 307 would be over capacity for forced induction (in NSW) for a monocoque body that is.

It's a shame u didnt use the 308, as it will haul arse over a Chev.
Tongue

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 11:56:37 PM »

hey guys i have a 308 also, it was for my ht ute, maybe the 307 should go in the ht and the 308 in the ek

any ideas

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 11:59:03 PM »

was only giving u a ribbing, the 307 is a good choice!

in the shed
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 12:00:10 AM »

well how bout the supercharger yes or no is it worth the hasle
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 12:15:07 AM by torquefc » Logged

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 12:03:31 AM »

a 307 supercharged in an Ek wouldnt be legal in NSW.

OI can send u the formula used for capacity calc later, or u can look it up in the RTA Code of practice for modifications to light vehicles.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 02:20:46 AM »

Ed could you send me the calculator?
Matt
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 04:10:25 AM »

for mono construct  normally aspirated

original weight (kg) x 0.294 (for cubic inches)

original weight (kg) x 4.82 (for mL)

for mono construct super or turbo charged

original weight (kg) x 0.244 (for cubic inches)

original weight (kg) x 4.0 (for mL)

in the shed
fcstationsedan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 11:00:11 AM »

Why would you bother to supercharge a SB Chev in an early Holden these days? For that matter even putting in the 307 is now debateable. You cannot buy decent fuel to keep up with it, you will have legal problems in every state (including Vic), you will not be able to legally drive for the first 3 years of your licence (even without the supercharger), the cost fact is huge, the car doesn't really drive that well anyway (too much weight up front) etc., etc. Now 10 years ago i would NEVER have said these things but now?

There are so many good late model engines available that are far more suited to the conversion, will run straight unleaded, start easier, drive better, cost less and stay legal why wouldn't you consider them? Hey don't get me wrong, I love V8's. I still currently own 3 V8 vehicles, two big blocks and a small block and have owned countless others.

I would now NEVER consider even a stock V8 for my FC. Even my current Hotrod project is 6 cylinder EFI (RB 30 turbo) powered. I have not yet driven a pre HR Holden with a V8 yet that I really thought drove like it should. (HK on are okay) When you modify a car it should make it better to drive, not worse (mainly talking steering/braking here)

Dave
Former 1959 FC Station Sedan owner.
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 11:35:30 AM »

I say forget the supercharger, and just stick with the chev. I am dropping a chev into my eh ute thats got 400 plus horsepower. if the steering and brake system is set up properly there is know reason why it  wont be okay. As for legal problems in every state, i dont know about the other states, but dropping a chev into early holdens is easier now in queensland, So long as i am running a full chassis, discs all round, that is really it.
Dropping chevs into old holdens, have them so they are safe to drive, Nothing wrong with that, I would buy a commodore if i wanted something that handles nice and goes well, but wouldnt stand out like a small block chev in a old holden. New motors are nice, but i like to be able to lift the bonnet  look at my motor and be able to work on it. Not scrath my head and rely on computers to run the motor.
But Ol School and Rat Rods, cant beat it. JUST A OLD REV HEAD AT HEART
Cheers Spider Smiley
fcstationsedan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 09:23:56 AM »

Spider, I partly agree with you. Forget the supercharger and if you really want a V8 then SB Chev is the way to go, however, in Victoria you will not be able to legally drive it until you are 21 because of the engine size/weight ratio. The power/weight and engine size/weight restrictions will certainly come into other states very soon. I gather that this will affect Darcy!

It is certainly technically possible to legally build a Chev powered pre HR in most states now if you make the correct engineering changes. It will still always be a compromise, although to some an acceptable one. I still maintain that I have not driven a V8 early Holden yet that drives as well as a dead stock V8 HK with good radials, nor one that steers or drives as well as a good red motor car with stock style steering and HR discs. Believe me I have driven plenty of them! I cannot see the point of spending so much money and not getting a better result.  

If I wanted a Commodore I would buy one too (I wont) but I have a number of old cars, including the FC Wagon, and strongly believe that if are going to modify a car, you modify a lot more than just how fast it can go. If it does not handle, brake, steer and drive better than an original after getting all that extra performance what is the point? Most seem to get the braking pretty right, but it is the handling and steering that is often below par.  

400 HP of badly understeering and/or bump steering car with limited lock just isn't my idea of fun! Just for the record I have a near 400 HP SB Chev powered full steel bodied 1940 Ford (sorry for that word) Coupe with HK front end and steering, IRS and 4 wheel discs that drives like a HK Premier but still pulls 14 sec 1/4s. If I tried to put that running gear into the FC it would never be able to drive as well, partly due to the fact the manufacture of the original unibody car restricts what can be done. Yes you could run a tube chassis or similar drastic changes but is it worth it?

Dave
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

Model: FC

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 04:43:19 AM »

Darcy

Dont listen to all these soft cocks do what the hell you want as it is YOUR car. I have owned a 350 powered FC and I currently own and run EVERYDAY a fairly hot 350 in a HR wagon and as long as you run the 98 octane fuel with the lead additve itll run beaut  The only problem with running forced induction ie. Blower or turbo is keeping it cool which can be fixed with a really good cooling system.  So in answer to your question yes run a blower who cars what anybody else thinks.
Hey remember we only live once so enjoy it

Ben

HARKO
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 11:16:09 AM »

Haha there are some rebel words to listen too Darce ,This is your world ,You call the shots ,You sound like youve got some fire in ya hehe make sure whatever you build has got some flame throwers......
Hows the HR going revhead !
fcstationsedan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 01:23:06 PM »

Firstly, perhaps Darcy can come on here soon and actually tell us how old he is? I gather though from his posts that he is under 21 and this is the first major project of his own. Darcy may not even have his licence yet (18 in Vic.) Darcy please correct me if I am wrong here. We know that Darcy is based in Victoria so my advice relates mainly to Victoria but will affect some other states.

If I am right about Darcy's age then some of the more mature people on this board, particularly those who are senior club members have a bit more of a responsibility toward young guys starting out than what is shown here. You should at least be honest and have the decency to tell him like it is. Yes you can run a SB Chev, yes you can throw a GMC 671 or B & M on top of it, you can spend $10-15,000 doing it all, you can maybe run 400-500 hp and you MIGHT get it past rego in Victoria if you are really lucky, but the fact remains that unless you want to just go drag racing you will not be allowed to drive it on the street till you are 21 years of age in Victoria, end of story. That is when your restrictions finish. Forget whether you can keep decent fuel up to it, that is another debate.

To say that the only problem with running a supercharged or turbocharged car is 'keeping it cool' is oversimplistic and simply not correct. There are a large number of other factors that would need to be taken into account including the very obvious one of 'fitting it all in' (your other post Darcy), not to mention upgrading the rest of the driveline to actually take that extra power, more stringent engineering (read Ed's NSW post), fuel pressure, build cost, etc, etc. It is all possible but requires major (read EXPENSIVE!) engineering.

So yeah, go right ahead, be a rebel and do what YOU want and spend every last bloody cent you have doing it, just as long as that doesn't include actually driving it on the road in Victoria! It is certainly not a matter of being a 'soft cock', as those of us with sense have been referred to, that is just a stupid comment that does not even deserve an answer. I would have thought it was simply a matter of common sense. If you cannot at least keep the debate civil how much credibility do you deserve?

If you are ignorant of Victorian laws then don't make the comments. You will find that NSW are about to restrict engine size and power in vehicles for young drivers thanks to the number who are managing to wipe themselves out lately, often urged on by bright mates who "don't care what anyone else thinks". This problem seems to be mostly Skyline/WRX etc. drivers but none of us ever want to see a car load of 17 or 18 year olds killed in a V8 FC or similar! I have seen the results first hand and believe me it is not pretty.

You are right Revhead we do only live once, but you don't get to come back for a second go after you wipe yourself (and who knows who else) out in an overpowered, ill handling car with a novice driver at the wheel. Darcy, keep your dreams, get some experience at building cars and driving them and then build the supercharged V8 car of your dreams the way you want but not as your first car!

Dave
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2005, 01:30:12 PM »

I doubt there shall ever be consensus as to which is the best way to modify a car, or which is the most suitable engine.

Isn't the obvious answer to follow the published guidelines of the registration authority in the state in which you live, and consult with an authorised engineer, prior to embarking on a project?

Ed has given the formulas for NSW. Not hard to work out where a 1070kg FC fits in, whether it be naturally aspirated or fitted with a forced induction system.

Based on the formula the largest supercharged or turbo charged motor you can certify and register in an FC in NSW is 4.28L

Notwithstanding the ability to modify after initial certification, consider the implications of an illegally modified vehicle in an accident. No insurance cover...

Engineer your cars well, understand their limits and drive within them.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 01:35:09 PM by Fast_Eddie » Logged
fcstationsedan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2005, 02:27:56 PM »

Read Eddie's quote "Isn't the obvious answer to follow the published guidelines of the registration authority in the state in which you live, and consult with an authorised engineer, prior to embarking on a project?" This is the best piece of advice here so far.

I still stand totally behind my advice too, especially as checking back through Darcy's posts he is actually 14 years of age and obviously very keen and willing to learn and looking for SENSIBLE guidance. Better to learn it right from those that have already made the same mistakes and save a lot of heartache and money. Obviously your dad has been there, done that so his advice is also important. Has he been reading the Forum as well? What is his opinion?

Darcy, your dad's 350 FC is a real nice car from the pictures too, but I bet it wasn't his first car! I also noted your post about the terrible turning circle on dad's FC. Probably the most common fault of all V8 early Holdens and one that has never really been solved properly IMHO. Some have better steering than others, but NONE I have seen are better than stock steering in excellent condition with quality tyres. If such a one exists I would certainly like to see it for myself. A lot of V8 owners seem to have trouble admitting that their steering is at best ordinary!

Darcy you already seem to have a fair bit of good knowledge on Holden 6's! If you intend to drive it on the street when you get your licence I would be buying a VK EFI auto or 5 speed (your choice) wreck as they are dirt cheap and then use as much from it as you can and give the motor some mild mods. Concentrate on making the car look just right and spend more time and energy on the detailing, body/paint, interior and wheel/tyre choice.

Restrictions are only set to get worse in Victoria and other states soon so be wary if you start building a two year project based on the law today.

Dave
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

Model: FC

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 12:48:53 AM »

Yes the steering is ordinary but you compensate for it
the real answer to this is if you really want to have a supercharged FC/EK do it but as everybody else has said it is expensive and it requires someone with the knowledge to set it up.  I want one and when I have the finances I will be putting a blower on my HR.

In regard to the "father like" comments of others on this forum, if you do it, keep it under the bonnet as there are less dramas that way.

Thats my opinion

Hey HARKO the HRs goin real well
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 09:08:54 AM »

2 reckon`YOU SHOULD DO THE RIGHT THING BY THE LAW, BUT THEN WHEN i THINK ABOUT THE RIDES IVE HAD IN BENS CAR I WOULD HAVE TO SAY YOU MIGHT HAVE TO BEND THE LAW.
i BOUGHT A FC WHEN IN MY TEENS AND MODIFIED EVERYTHING AGAINST THE WILL OF THE OLD, WISE, BEEN THEIR AND DONE THAT GUYS. THEY ALL SAID I WOULD REGRET IT, CHEW HEAPS OF FUEL, LOSE MY LISCENSE, RITE OFF MY CAR, KILL PEDESTRIANS ETC ETC.
FUNNY THING WAS AFTER LOSING MY LISCENSE 3 TIMES DUE TO SPEEDING AND NEG DRIVING FINES IN STOCKERS, I NEVER LOST A POINT SINCE MODIFIYNG MY CAR, DIDNT RITE OF MY CAR, KILL A PEDESTRIAN OR RITE OF MY CAR.
WHATS EVEN FUNNIER IS THAT HALF OF THE GUYS GIVING ME THE ADVICE DID.
IF YOU DONT DO WHAT YOU WANT YOU END UP REGRETING IT BUT MAKE SURE WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IS REALISTIC FOR YOUR SKILL, TOOLS AND BUDGET OR YOU WILL END UP WITH A PILE OF RUSTY STEEL ON ITS WAY TO SIMS BEFORE YOU EVEN DRIVE IT.
YOU MAY HAVE TO MAINTAIN LONGER STOPPING DISTANCES WICH IS A PAIN IN THE SYDNEY TRAFFIC WITH ALL THE WANKERS ON THE ROADS, AS WELL AS TAKING IT EASY ON THE BUMPS AND BENDS BUT IT IS WORTH IT.
OFCOURSE WE WOULDN'T JUMP INTO A V8 FC AND TREAT IT LIKE A NEW SS, IN A FC YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE THAT BEND AT 100MPH BECUASE YOU LOOK JUST AS COOL IDLING ALONG AND ITS GREAT TO HAVE THE POWER TO JUMP ON , ON A NICE CLEAR STRAIGHT OR AT A STREET MEET NIGHT OR NEXT TO THAT WANKER IN A HATCHBACK AT THE LIGHTS.

HEY BEN, WERE YOU ON YOUR P'S THAT NIGHT WE WERE DRAGGIN PEOPLE OF AT ALL THE LIGHTS UP IN NEWCASTLE IN OUR FC'S AND YOU HAD THE V8 SEDAN?
PRETTY FUN MEMORIES HEY?
DID YOU RITE IT OFF OR LOSE YOUR LISCENSE, FOR THAT MATTER EVEN GET PULLED OVER?

HARKO
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 01:00:03 PM »

My EK Ute is chopped and channeled with a 350 and soon a blower that has full engineering aproval  Huh Huh Huh Darcy ,do gooders are ruining this world ,Think outside the square ,read between the lines and dont let anyone stop you having fun - 90 percent of the population will try to mate.
You are your own person and you will know your limitations but be sure you always anticipate what could happen next.
Half you blokes need a Harley ...
Fully legal with bad brakes ,enourmous power and dont corner....
If Darcy has a death wish he will do it in one of a million ways and there aint nothing any of us can do about it , He just likes cool cars and wants to be different from you and I , And obviously is enjoying the youth we only live once Dads
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: