FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:59:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: YELLA TERRA ( can't see red )  (Read 17986 times)
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2004, 12:54:13 PM »

Mark
I would be happy to follow it up for you if you can't get any joy locally, it would be interesting to see what they come up with as a few years ago I wanted one and they were out of supply, they came up with an altenative "Repco" head which was black but appeared identical to a yella terra (even to the YT valves), but was actually much cheaper.We put it on and it was a very good performing head.
If they can't supply, the  HR Holden that we fitted it to could coming up for sale here shortly with a fairly hot six and auto, I think the asking price will be around $500.00 if he decides to sell, body is good but panels are poor.
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2004, 11:51:08 PM »

Thanks Jock, do you mind following up anyway. that way way I'll have 2 sources of finding one.

Also, I need to be sure that the heads come complete and ready to bolt on, (ie) complete with double springs, valves ect....I already have the YT roller rockers !

Cheers

mark
-KIWI-

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2004, 12:32:13 AM »

mark try this guy too
Hi All,
          Now I'm looking at doing a group order on what could be an extinct item for holden red motors very soon ... a Yella Terra head !
I have talked to Dave Bennett at YT and they aren't turning over very many red motor heads these days, and are seriously thinking of phasing them out !

After a chat with their Sales Manager I am looking for who might be interested in ordering a Gas prepped YT head as part of a bulk order... not sure how many will get them excited yet, but I'm sure they'll do us a good price.

please email me at garythorpe@bigpond.com with your interest and we'll see how many we get.

INTERSTATERS - these may need to be freighted to you either individually or in numbers to a Club reps place for pick up in your state.

copied from this site:http://nz.msnusers.com/HoldenPerformance6sVictoria
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 12:34:05 AM by kiwiek61 » Logged
Jockster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2004, 01:25:27 PM »

Mark
I spoke at length with the local Repco Manager today and he made some phone calls, he assures me that they are available for both 186 and 202 Red motors, they are not chaep though.
An exchange stage 3 No LC7986 is $618.15 Trade for a
9.2:1 Compression ratio or $855.60 Trade for a 10.5:1, these are exchange heads so your head needs to be in repairable order.
They can also supply new heads part no SPA3300 and they are $1360.45 Trade, no exchange.
There is also an alloy stage 3 head but it is not currently available. He said that prices may vary from state to stae and location to location. The heads are complete ready to bolt on.
He also said that our local repco Machine shop could build a standard head to the same or better specification for around $400.00 and that other mchine shops should be able to do it around the same price.
It might be worth checking the link that Kiwi suggested as buying on a bulk deal could be cheaper.
Cheers
Jock

Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2004, 11:51:11 PM »

Thanks Jock....that price is not too far off what I was quoted 6 months back....about $100 more, so it's in the ball park.

As far as which way to go, I dunno....my head is old Holden head, but it's had the dividers cut out, YT roller rockers, and Oversized valves already fitted....the springs are only singles, not double, so I'd say it's had some work done to it, but not by YT.

The reason I was looking for a YT, is that they are usually, gone through like a dose of salts...ie....crack tested, acid cleaned, honed, decked, NEW double springs, valve guides, valves ect, and a re built to a particular spec, where a machine shop just works to what they think is best.

What's your thoughts ?

Thanks  heaps for that part no.......I'll contact my repco guy here and see what he tells me......

I wish we could share a beer....you've been a great help to me, right throughout the rebuild.  

Cheers

Mark
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2004, 04:47:29 AM »

the springs dont have to be double for a good high reving red motor as there are some out there with higher spring seat pressure in single form that will do the job perfectly , they have always made springs with different strenth for different applications ring CROW Cams or one of the others and ask them what springs and retainers they sell as you might not need a whole new head.as for stripping down the one you already have and having it crack tested and welded if needed,you might already have the perfect part sitting in your garage well you run around town wasteing time that could be spent doing up what you have now

Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2004, 05:24:32 AM »

Point taken !

I actually employed that principle with my diff and gearbox, that is....having them pulled down, fixed up, and put back together better than before.....so I guess I should take your advice.

Cheers

Mark
Jockster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2004, 11:03:08 AM »

Hi Mark
No worries about the advice, happy to help, I agree with what Nicko said, it sounds like your head has already had most of the hard work done to it, any good machine shop should be able to carry out a pressure and a die crack test to make sure the unit is sound, from there I would find a mechanical workshop with a flow test bench and do as Nicko says contact Crowe or similar for valve springs etc.
Cheers
Jock

Dave

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2004, 10:47:28 AM »

i may be wrong, but i think the stage 5 head has the bolt posts removed - not the stage 3.

on the other hand maybe my head isnt a yella terra, but it is yellow and has double springs and YT stamped on the valves.

Dave
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2004, 12:12:40 PM »

im almost positive the stage 3 had posts removed, as for Repco heads,we installed a Repco black motor 15 years ago that they called the sports black,and the head was very similar to stage 3 YT and it used to light them up with ease in mates EH you could keep it spinning in the dry in 1st ,2nd and chirp it into 3rd.awsom fun and bloody quick,so i would say the Repco head would do everything you want and more.they have been producing tough engines since the 50's , they used to test run the odd car or two with there special motors at the bottom of my street in Burwood Victoria when i was a kid.boy were they fast.

oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2004, 02:32:29 AM »

Are the new Yella Terra heads modified for unleaded fuel ?

Earlee
andy's pink EK
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2004, 05:19:07 AM »

Hi everyone....
Being on a serious budget I'm bolting a "blue motor" 12 port head to a red motor.. I picked up the head and manifolds & carby for $100,   I've recently collected some rather old and possibly not the best extractors for a VC commodore,  and I'm gonna have a go....   I've machined the head (taken off 15 /1000 inch) and replaced valve stem seals... Can anyone suggest what else I have to do before I get started on this?   I know i have a few holes to drill in the block,   but is there anything else I need to know?   Also how much performance improvement can I expect?   Is the Blue motor carburettor suited to a pre - ADR 27A red motor (no pollution controls)?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: