FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 02:57:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: timing gear  (Read 2554 times)
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2021, 08:01:55 AM »

gents ..I have a new fibre timing gear ,which I want to use, no makers marks on it at all , I have 2 old ones ,one has AB.43.SA on it and that's all ,The other says HOLDEN 7414360 6/62 ...Resitex 27 ..and a symbol which looks like the Robert Bosch armature symbol , I take that as being a genuine GMH product ..MY question is , the unmarked new one has 48 teeth OK , but the tooth where the timing dot usually is , is a symbol like the letter "T" , which I assume is for " TIMING " , BUT it is one tooth out ,,,how many makers were there ? , has anyone had experience like this , is it a cheap after market item that should be avoided , or am I worried about nothing ..help appreciated ..Vern ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 08:42:29 AM »

Vern I’m not a fan of using fibre timing gears at all. But given a choice, I would use the genuine Holden one before an unknown other brand.
Back in the day, there would have been many different manufacturers of timing gears just the same as bearings and piston rings etc.

Ken
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 09:42:54 AM »

Hi Ken ..Problem is , I should have said , the 2 old ones I have are not usable , one is very worn , far too much clearance between teeth on crank gear , the other is brand new , but has 2 broken teeth ,accidental damage .pity. decision time again ..cheers Vern

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 08:13:13 PM »

I’m with Ken. Hunt down a steel one. Having had one crap out in 45 degree heat (with a car load of kids, trailer of camping gear and 150km from home) and one spin on the steel hub (three tilt tray rides home and a rope tow) I’m not running another fibre one.

Cheers,
Harv
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 07:43:15 AM »

I agree with Harv , forget the fibre gear, too much potential for trouble. Buy yourself a steel gear, in Melbourne Rare Spares, Resto Country and Auto Surplus all seem to stock them. I used the Speco gear on both my greys (FC and FB) and don’t be put off by stories of noise from the gears. I ran the new steel gear with the old, original, crank gear and honestly not a peep of noise on either engine. I didn’t even get cute and worry about backlash etc., just chucked em in and away we went. Cheers, Fraze
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 10:02:36 AM »

I purchased 3 steel sets from the Vic Club, [as part of a special order they organised],   They are in all my cars....no noise, no dramas. Having said that, I have been "carefully", driving greys since 1961, all had fibre ,no noise, no dramas either. The  grey can travel @ 55-60MPH with no problems for years. Pushed harder than that, they will eventually leave you stranded.  That's provided the welsh plugs don't corrode by then. If only they had installed brass ones @ Factory, then you wouldn't see those access bodgy holes drilled into the firewall.  Kevin.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 06:42:38 PM »

Vern,

I believe the NSW Club still have couple of steel ones in the merch store. If it's not super-urgent, once things re-open we should be able to check and work something out to get it to you.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 07:25:59 AM »

OK Ret ...What is the deal with the gear,? I am waiting on little end bushes to arrive , still sorting the rocker shafts , but as soon as I can I will start reassembly of engine ..cheers Vern ..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: