FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:27:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Front r/h brake grabbing  (Read 5656 times)
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2021, 07:35:15 PM »

Doug ..The hoses were renewed a year or so before I bought my car so they are aprox 5 yrs old.. ..my car doesn't have the brake grabbing issue , you might be confusing me with JohnBM ..thanks for your input though ...keep well Vern .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2021, 01:31:31 PM »
+1

Just a quick note , after over a week of cool to cold mornings and rain . I figured it was time to give the old girl a run around the block , wonders never cease , no grabbing at all , after all this time hopefully it’s sorted.(still not convinced LOL ). But with all that was done recently I think we’re on the right track . Cheers John .
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2021, 09:10:58 PM »

Still looking good , brakes are no longing grabbing ,several days of not driving . As I put on previously we greased all the moving parts , or parts that should have some sort of movement & it’s all looking good . Please  let it be true . Will keep in touch with results down the the road . Cheers .
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2021, 07:52:17 AM »

HI John ..Sounds good for a cure of your problem , lets re cap , you didn't really identify a obvious cause , you just cleaned up the brakes , freed up the lower shoe anchor point and put 4 new front shoes on ..so far so good ..thats it ,have I got that correct ?  Thats apart from having a mate come over and having a beer to plan the course of action ,that type of " board " meeting works wonders over here too ..
Just on the other topic of synthetic brake fluid , my very learned friend , told me synthetic brake fluid is very good ,but one thing to note , he stated .." all braking systems and brake fluids have moisture ingress , regular fluids they mix and over time cause corrosion , especially in older systems where no attempts were made to seal out moisture ,like the rubber master cylinder reservior seal in later cars ,with synthetic fluid the moisture is in the system but does NOT mix and in very cold climates the water can freeze in the lines and cause very serious brake failure ,the opinion is , change the fluid in the system as a regular maintenance based on time rather than miles travelled , probably more often in humid climates " ...keep well Vern ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2021, 04:51:59 PM »

Hi Vern , thanks for the reply , yes as you said in the workshop manual page 113 brakes section 5-1 no 6 bolt & spacer assembly was very tight & although the old shoes seemed to come off ok the replacements would not fit in position until we slackend off the bolt,once both arms were on it was just nipped up slightly . The originals like I said were stuck solid with surface rust . The new ones we buffed up & applied the grease to moving parts . I’m starting to believe some movement however slight is required.the combination of both things mentioned are looking hopefully to have been the source of my problem . The #8 pin assembly. Brake shoe link was also cleaned up & grease applied. Also the four points of contact on the backing plates . Anyway she is still behaving her self . No grabbing at all .   Still don’t understand the wiping down of the brake drum stopped it grabbing too ? Who cares . LOL . That’s another story . Will post further down the track .cheers.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: