FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:13:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE boot hinge springs  (Read 2387 times)
texmorton

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2021, 09:12:38 AM »

G'day,

On the FE I am restoring the boot springs are different on both sides, one is wider/heavier than the other. It is an early build but seems to be different to my other wreck which is has the same springs either side. Are the two different springs factory or has it been messed with? thanks Al
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 10:12:21 AM »

Tex ..The wider spring is original ..the fixed tang where the spring locates on the hinge support should be to suit wider spring on both sides ..RET on this forum sells the pivot pin repair kit , which is another problem area , indicated by having two good springs but boot lid wont stay open ,I used his kit ,it locates the spring correctly and allows for tension adjustment of the spring ..cheers Vern ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 11:00:47 AM »

Correction (with respect to Vern) -

The narrow spring was fitted to early FEs.  The wide spring was fitted to FC-EK.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
texmorton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 11:11:53 AM »

Right oh, thanks fellas. So it is original with one narrow and one wider spring? Al
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 12:01:26 PM »

More than likley the later wider spring was used to replace a failed narrow FE spring
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 12:46:07 PM »

OOps !!! Thanks Rob , I got it wrong , FE not FC is the model in discussion ...sorry Tex

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
texmorton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 01:17:10 PM »

Great, I think that sorts it out, I will put it back together as found. thanks again fellas. Al
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 02:10:04 PM »

Tex, originally both springs would be the small ones. Check the actual boot hinges themselves, the hinge for the FE has a shorter tang which retains the spring. If you have an FE hinge with FC spring on it, it’s more likely to fall off. If you have an FC hinge then the wider FC spring will fit ok and it will locate formerly in the retainer.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: