FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:03:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Early fe grey motor. 132 or 138?  (Read 9568 times)
Diamond Dog

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2020, 10:30:05 PM »

But here is what i really want 2 know: long time ago removed , now getting assembled  again, here's my question :
At carby & manifold,there is a flange /cone shaped part with fine metal gauze in it (does anyone know  this part)
Does it go between carby & bakerlite spacer or bakerlite spacer & manifold?
This is out of an an molested  &totally  original motor. This part isn't mentioned or shown in original holdenFE workshop manual.
I gather it must b 2 atomize petrol b 4 it hits the manifold?
Have talked 2 a few "knowledgeable "guys & they look at me like i'm on drugs.
KEN: going by ur knowledge on this forum, any ideas?

AND they called in The Diamond Dog....the Red Light KING!!!
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 01:24:44 AM »

D'dog

That sounds like a fuel pump screen, it's a similar outer diameter
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 06:46:25 AM »

not original ,maybe some one put it there as a safety net ,sick of dropping screws or washers down the carby..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 08:55:58 AM »

I’ve personally Never seen one. Maybe Rob can add some light. I Will look into it.

Ken
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 09:15:55 AM »

I'm a little dim.  I can only think it's an aftermarket part.  You'd be best off removing it.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 09:33:57 AM »

Might be an “Economiser” type fitting for atomisation as you say. Not factory. Sounds like it would restrict flow, about the last thing I would want in a grey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 09:27:47 PM »

Sorry to hikjack thread but I have come across something similar. I have got a carby heat insulator which will shortly be going back onto a rebuild. This one is different to all others that I have in my possession, which I have a few. It has a metal sleeve that that goes in the aperture of the insulator, much like the locating sleeves that goes in the inlet manifold to the head. It has two tongues folded outwards which recess into slight cutouts of the insulator. I suspect these are there to prevent the sleeve moving into the inlet manifold. All the others I have a plain.

I have looked at the master parts book and I can see two listed, one up to engine nimber 283372 (FJ) and one after that. Could it be the one I have at the moment is from the early greys. Anyone able to shed any light on this?

Cheers

Rod
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 08:48:52 AM »

Rod ..I have the Bendix Corporation master catalogue . FX thru to HK ..nearly 500 pages .covering Bendix, Solex, Stromberg, Zenith, APG.A screen fitting your description does NOT appear at all ..so if it is OEM it was either not considered a " carburettor " part ,its also not in the Holden Service manual ,so maybe a after market accessory offered by some supplier to the trade ..Vern..

Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »

Hi Vern, I wasn't the one asking the initial question in regards to the gauze seive. Does your catologue offer differences in the backerlite spacer as I highlighted? I will go down the shed and take some photos to show the difference I was referring to.

Cheers

Rod
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 09:21:15 AM »

Rod,

Your Bakelite insulator with the metal sleeve is the genuine FX-FJ part.  Advertise it on eBay for $1000 and see whether you get any bites . . .

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 09:24:59 AM »

Find below the two insulators. One being the more common one while the other has the sleive. You can see the tongues on the sleive and the recess in the insulator. Interestingly the one with the sleive is about 2mm thicker.

I hope the pictures says it all. Remember what I have presented is different to the original post as I hijacked it think there may be a connection.

Cheers

Rod

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 12:42:20 PM »

Rod ..Sorry ,have I mixed you guys up.. any way as it helps you and others , here goes,I have never seen this type before ..Very interesting..Rob has said he recognises the FX-FJ one as an original part ..I have looked in the Bendix Master catalogue and the mounting spacer as per your pic doesn't show anywhere ,so it must not have been a Stromberg part ..It also does not appear on page 6-35 of the FE-FC Holden manual exploded view of a carby ,it is mentioned on page 6-36 first item under assembly , quote .."place the carburettor in position on the manifold,insulator in position, and install the retaining nuts.'' It must have been a Holden part ,I don't have a GMH Master catalogue ,someone will and I am sure all will be revealed ..
There are 25 original equipment carby listings in the Bendix catalogue covering FX to HK  .As far as FE and FC are concerned ,there are two ,only distinguished as the second being late FC  .some where in 1959 I guess ..However the FE thru to early FC the carby is stamped BXOV-1 and also has a stamp 23-105D the late FC is BXOV-1 also but stamped 23-3000 ...this is for Australian made carbys only ..the later carby went right thru to 1963 the EJ ,in manual transmission only..there would be hundreds of engines out there with a whole range of 'bitsa" carbys built around a base body ..if you want a positive ID on a carby send me the numbers stamped on it and I will identify it and send you the original specs if you like...cheers Vern

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 12:49:00 PM »

Fellas,
You have reminded me that Harv has published a pretty extensive guide on the single downdraught bendix stromberg carbs used on FX to VB Holdens. Pipe up harv.
Cheers
Clay

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »

I couldn’t find the exact picture I was looking for, but there were lots of these economy improving gadgets in the 50’s and 60’s.  This is an example of one of them

Ken
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 07:14:15 PM »

Quackery, and not cheap for 1957.

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 07:19:57 AM »

Gents ..I was looking in the Bendix master catalogue ,in the front section where they outline the particular series of carbys that the catalogue actually covers ,under the BXOV-1 Stromberg section there is a foot note ,quote .".Adaptor Ring Package  - ARI ..For applications using a V-SEAL type air cleaner "
Is that the change from oil bath to paper element air cleaner ? The image of the ring looks like a exhaust manifold seal ,except with a cut thru it ..What was this kit for ? probably twin carbys or something ,but it is a listed Stromberg OEM part ..cheers Vern

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 12:36:08 PM »
+1

I've seen the two forms of Bakelite spacer (with and without reinforcement), but have never seen a filter mesh that goes between the carb and manifold. I have seen Rootes-type supercharger gaskets with this type of screen, usually as a disaster-catcher when no air filter is used (eg hat injection). As an aside, I watched Number One Son pull off a throttle body last weekend, and damn near drop the capscrew down the inlet manifold. After waiting for the tink, tink, bonk sound of the capscrew falling through the engine bay to the deck, I resisted the urge to beat him with a piece of rag before showing him how to stuff it into the manifold throat before removing capscrews.

I reckon Zulu is right, and that the original poster has a spare fuel pump brass screen.

All the Holden Strommie info from the Stromberg factory manual, and the later addendum, is captured here:
FB/EK Holden Stromberg Carburetion Enthusiasts Guide

Cheers,
Harv
Diamond Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 10:46:06 PM »

Gonna get a photo up here of the mesh /cone/flange thingamebob as soon as i can get the young fella away from his girlfriend.
Should be very interesting  to get some feed-back.  This part definitely came from carby/manifold position. Car was completely  original.
Still has original  thermostat & is still sitting on original Olympic Air Ride tyers ( still hold air) with a top-up every few months.& brake & clutch tins.
It was on the road for 1 year back in 1995.took out original  motor & run another grey motor i had out of fe ute. ( hot with twin stromies )
Swapped back to ute & sold.   So van has original motor back in. Only non original  i had 2 do was exhaust & rear shocks.
Also put the original red interior in ute when i sold it.  DUMBASS. Ute looked good though, with my own mix of a SKY BLUE with the red interior.
Oh...Tasman mags to. Wish istill had that car.   Still got the Tasman mags though  Bonus.
By the way,  between u & me, van might b 4 sale 4 $1000000 obo.    Back to topic question, can u tell motor is 132 or 138 by engine numbers? Thanks

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 07:11:28 AM »

yes you can,info is in technical identification section on this forum,coincided with the intro of autos ,you said the car is completely original ,untouched,so it must be the 132.5 cu in with 3" bore and " L' prefix  ..only if you are 100 % sure , NO wait 150% sure ..the engine I obtained for my project a 1958 " L " prefix ,I was told that it was a original engine ,when pulled down it was 3 1/16'' plus .030 thou..Repco pistons  ..tracking down piston rings was fun ,but I got em ,the pistons still remain a bit of a mystery ,they are clearly marked ,but don't show up in any old Repco books ,in application listings or numerical listings ..
Any one out there got old books I would appreciate any info on Repco piston WX1872P F030 the Repco image stamped on the crown is the old symbol which I think changed in 1970's ,so its a early type,in later years pistons started with RP meaning Repco piston..most part numbers tell a story ,in this WX number all I can guess is the 'P' means comes with piston pin fitted ,and the 'F' means 'FULL' meaning .030 oversize ..cheers Vern

Diamond Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 07:39:53 PM »

Here are the pics.... what is it and does it go between the manifold and bakelite spacer or between the spacer and carby

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188021089@N02/shares/87Ae65

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: