FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:36:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Early fe grey motor. 132 or 138?  (Read 10335 times)
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 07:52:36 PM »

Definitely aftermarket, and most likely one of these "economy-boosting" devices.  If you have a display cabinet, that's where I'd put it.  Replace it with a carburettor gasket, or even a smear of Silastic gasket sealant between bakelite spacer and inlet manifold.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 07:45:14 AM »

hey doggy with a diamond ..never seen one of those ,I reckon after market product ,especially with elongated holes ,sort of suggests to me universal fit ,BUT WHY Huh ..back in the day ,there was a lot of theory going around about fuel ,and carbies and combustion chambers ,and water injection  ,porting and polishing ,fuel and cylinder heads were blamed for lots of things or people just wanted things better ,a need was perceived and usually based on speed ,more power ,and get fuel economy at same time..roller rockers ,cross flow heads ,Yella Terra made a name out of it , a story , a history ,a workshop word ,
I am gonna say , that device was aimed at breaking fuel into fine droplets , we know today that theory back then they were on to something ,look at modern diesel cars ,diesel being a oil, with additives, actually by its very nature resists breaking into droplets ,but they achieve this by atomisation at high pressures ..it will be interesting to see if some technical info comes up on that device ,cheers Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 09:44:15 AM »

Hmmm... not a filter per se with that hole in the middle. Lots of interesting tricks in old racers. Reminds me of this:

https://supertrarged.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/the-operating-limits-of-an-su-carburettor12.pdf

Dragon's teeth
At full throttle a significant fraction of the fuel will flow along the walls of the choke tube and into the manifold. It is possible to clamp a thin annular plate in that join, where normally a rubber insulator is fitted. The inner circumference of this plate is cut into triangular teeth projecting a few millimetres into the bore. Each tooth is bent in the air flow direction ca 45deg. The teeth lift the fuel film back into the fast moving, turbulent air flow so improving droplet formation. The trick is mentioned as 'dragon's teeth' in Maurice Brierley's book on supercharging motorcycles, and by Lenz (called a 'deflector ring', fig 5.31, cited above). This little-known device is simple to make and I suggest should be the first corrective measure to attempt should wall wetting be suspected.

Lenz' work is Mixture Formation in Spark-Ignition Engines, Hans P Lenz, 1992.

Cheers,
Harv
Diamond Dog

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2020, 08:14:17 PM »

Thanx guyz. Interesting reading.   ( i wonder who wouldha e manufactured this ?) Surly not a one off item

AND they called in The Diamond Dog....the Red Light KING!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: