FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 01, 2022, 09:24:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Found Object  (Read 73234 times)
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 05, 2022, 08:33:21 PM »

The weekend collapsed in on itself at both ends.  I swapped generators in my Humpy, but the replacement has too much clearance in the rear bush and growls a little just off idle.  And a lube service before the long weekend trip to Wagga.

OK, so that's what I did off-topic.

Measure, cut, fold, cut, drill spot welds, remove old section, massage new section approximately to shape, go to the new Bunnings up the highway for two more pressure-paks of black primer -

and that's about all I could do before it was time to pack everything away.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 06, 2022, 11:32:43 AM »

Keep driving Rob. You'll be in Nuriootpa before you know it...

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 06, 2022, 04:59:59 PM »

Clay,

The exact same thought had crossed my mind . . .

Rob

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 18, 2022, 05:10:03 PM »

As usual, it was forecast to rain today.  But it didn't.  So I welded in the section I made a couple of weekends ago:

That's one step closer to having the LHF floor repaired.

Rob

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 26, 2022, 07:50:37 PM »
+1

The floor section above the no. 1 body crossmember (passenger's side) -

After drawing up a cardboard pattern, it wasn't that hard to reproduce in sheet metal.  It's mainly parallel folds, with a raised portion in the middle.  When I had the section largely bent up to shape, the outermost folds were easily enough done with the piece in place.

So I red-oxide primed the inside of the no. 1 body crossmember as far as I could get the radiator brush in, and also primed the underside of the floor repair.  Then holes for the plug welds -

And I adjusted the gaps.  But a few of them were wider than I'd have liked.  Having a part of the floor cut away was a good thing, because I could G-clamp the repair section in place while I did the first few plug-welds.  A screwdriver jammed into the gaps at the right places sat the repair down hard onto the flanges of the no. 1 body crossmember for the rest of the plug welds.

Gentle massaging with a hammer to line the edges up, and a couple of feet of weld.  Some work with the grinder, and then a quick coat of black primer:

And then the sun went down on me.

Thinks:  They tell me that American Autos in Prospect has shut, and that all Rare Spares inquiries are handled through Brisbane.  I was thinking of picking up a driver's floor pan.  But now that I've got the cardboard pattern, and now that I've made one repair section, it won't be that hard to turn the pattern over and make another for the driver's side.  It's the most complicated shape I need to make for the driver's side too.

Rob

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: