FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:20:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Found Object  (Read 150890 times)
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »

maybe you can Irontite stitch it .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2019, 08:28:09 PM »

I'll assemble and install it.  It'll run well enough until I strip the car down.  I had been considering a 3-3/16" bore B-motor I have at home as a possibility.  I think I'll go with it.  The head's had quite a lot of work done on it, but it'd need rings, bearings and a slightly lumpy cam.

A cursory valve grind, and the cylinder head's now back together.  I think the poor motor never got any oil up top.  No. 1 exhaust valve has about the same clearance in the guide as the tappet setting.  It is *loose*.  And it's had a set of red motor exhaust valves fitted.  The seating area is right up the inside of the valve faces.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2019, 08:29:16 PM »

Oh, and four cam followers had little bits broken off the side.  Collateral damage from bent pushrods.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2019, 03:49:15 PM »

Sounds like that head is about finished, not much you can do when the valves have recessed that far.
Ken
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2019, 10:48:35 PM »

Ken,

The valve seats haven't recessed.  It's just that the exhaust valve seats are the grey motor size, while the exhaust valves themselves are for a red motor, 0.080" bigger in diameter.  Hence the offset position of the valve seats with respect to the middle of the exhaust valve faces.

I put the rocker assemblies back on, and guess what - the motor didn't want to turn.  And yes, I gently bent another pushrod.  Something's binding. I pulled the rocker assemblies off again, and checked the pushrods.  All in the range 256-257 mm long.  At firing instant for each cylinder, the pushrod tips sit 1-5/8" to 1-11/16" above the milled surface of the head, except no. 6 inlet, which sits 1-13/16" above the milled surface of the head.  No. 6 inlet cam follower appears to be a late type.  I'll have to substitute a short pushrod to go with it.

I'm wondering how this motor ever went . . .

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2019, 06:37:31 AM »

Rob.." substitute a short push rod to go with it "!!!! Sounds like you are going to use mixture of components ..Don't do that ..use correct and checked components ...

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2019, 08:39:35 AM »

Rob, I see what you mean now!
I agree, how could the motor have run with a mismatched follower and rod. Maybe they ground a rocker down to suit Shocked

Ken
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2019, 08:26:49 PM »

I put a "short" pushrod into (correction) no. 5 inlet, and all is good.  The motor turns over freely now.

Vern - there's a whole story about pushrods and cam followers.  There are "early" and "late" pushrods, and "early" and "late" cam followers.  "Late" cam followers have a thicker base than "early" ones, and the "late" pushrods are about 4 mm shorter than "early" pushrods to compensate.  The Service Bulletin dealing with followers and pushrods says it's OK to substitute "late" and "early" types for each other, as long as they are swapped over in pairs.

In practice this doesn't always happen.  You can just about get away with early follower/late pushrod if you wind the adjuster right down.  But late follower/early pushrod is almost always a recipe for disaster.

Rob

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2019, 09:01:32 PM »

Hi Rob ..perhaps Holden could have added in their bulletin swapped over in pairs and in "sets "

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2019, 09:34:00 PM »

. . . distributor installed and timed.  Manifold heat riser valve freed up.  Lacquer thinners through the inlet manifold to get rid of the gum.  An hour or so wasted bending the fuel and vac. adv. pipe to something like the shape they're supposed to be in.  Lacquer thinners through the fuel pipe.  And the fuel pump bowl was full of sludge, the same consistency as congealed gravy.  Wiped out sludge.  Flushed the fuel pump with petrol until the petrol came out clean.

I thought I might be able to start the motor tonight, but 9 pm has come, and it wouldn't be a good look to disturb the neighbours' kid practising minor scales with really strange-sounding intervals on the piano.  A fast 6/8 beat from an unmuffled exhaust would not go down well.

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2019, 06:53:52 AM »

Rob..what did you end up doing with the valve train ?..Vern ..

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2019, 08:17:14 AM »

Curious how those fuel and vacuum tubes can distort time......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »

Vern,

I put a late FB-EJ pushrod in the No. 5 inlet position.  When I did that, the pushrod tip sat 1-5/8" above the milled surface of the head, like all the others.  So I infer that the no. 5 inlet cam follower is a late FB-EJ type, and all the others are FJ-early FB.  The engine now turns over without any hint of binding, and the valve clearances all adjusted normally.

Clay,

When you say, "curious how those . . . vacuum tubes can distort time" you made me think of the guitar amplifier in "Back to the Future".

Rob

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »

I’m very vaguely familiar with that movie Rob. Doesn’t it feature an eccentric yet very handy and creative electronic engineer? 😊😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2019, 07:43:25 PM »

Connected battery cables, ignition, and a mower tank with fuel, turned the key, and . . .
the motor started and ran.  Like it had never given trouble.
Quite anticlimactic really . . .

Rob

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2019, 12:22:15 PM »

The motor's back in now, and the car moves under its own power.
Every time I get under the car I manage to make little piles of rust flakes and dirt on the carport floor.  The right hand sill has more than one clear-vision part now, as does the no. 1 body crossmember.

Rob

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2019, 01:41:59 PM »

After your brief distraction with the mechanicals I predict you are in for many hours of fun cutting welding and grinding. You only paid $700 so I’m surprised the car is as good as it is. That is how much I paid for my first EK in 1986.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2019, 05:20:30 PM »

A temporary cease-fire in the Battle of Firewood and the Leaf Wars this afternoon.  I stripped the hardware out of the RHR door.  I couldn't unlock it and I couldn't open it.  So I pulled the door trim off in situ, "encouraged" the window to wind down, and worked out where to put a screwdriver into the door lock mechanism to allow the door to open (lift ratchet pawl with screwdriver).

The bottom of the door frame is rusted worse than the skin, but at least it's only flat sections that need replacing.  Yet another pile of dirt and rust on the carport floor . . .

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2020, 09:18:32 PM »

The LORD be with you.
And also with you.

Let us pray.

Almighty God, to whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid . . .

The Gospel reading is taken from Matthew, chapter 6, verse 19 -

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal."

Lift up your hearts.
We lift them to the Lord.
Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
It is meet and right so to do.

Behold, I am making all things new.

Procedamus in pace.
In nomine Christi, Amen.

Not bad for a day's work, if I say so myself.

Rob

59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2020, 11:25:49 PM »

Well done Pastor Robert. 👍

May the grinder and welder be with you.

Cheers, John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)