FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:52:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Spindle pics  (Read 6914 times)
Luke Healey

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2018, 12:12:59 PM »

After hours of searching i found these for those swapping spindles. Got a headache reading about KPI and just wanted proof for myself

In order HG HQ HR

Luke

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Then in order HR HG HQ
Luke Healey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 03:35:26 PM »

So I wanted to know what the angle of the axel was in relation to the straight line through the center of the upper and lower attachment bolts.
This is for camber of differing spindles.
I found that the HR and HG were the same at about 97° where as the HQ came up at 94°.
So it would appear that HR through to HG spindles should not change the camber but a HQ spindle will create a higher negitave camber thus where the KPI issue may come in to play for wheel alignment.

Any thoughts? Happy to be wrong as i am no expert.

Luke Healey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »

Oh and as a visual representation here is 3° difference over 40cm

As you can imagine this will be a big change to your wheels

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 07:23:05 AM »

Whealy all three diagrams appear to be marked 7.5 degrees. Am I missing something? You should not rely on scaling dimensions from drawings.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 09:52:19 AM »

Whealy all three diagrams appear to be marked 7.5 degrees. Am I missing something? You should not rely on scaling dimensions from drawings.

I read:
HG as 7 degrees 31seconds (give or take 10 seconds),
HQ as 7 degrees 30seconds (give or take 10 seconds), and
HR as 7 degrees 30seconds (give or take 10 seconds).

So HG is the odd one out with a proofteenth more KPI, though the 1-second poofteenth is within the tolerance (10 seconds) of the other KPIs (i.e. the KPIs are pretty much the same).

Cheers,
Harv
Luke Healey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 12:24:08 PM »

I have read you can not use other spindles on HR due to the camber being different. Just trying to find some truth to that. I agree that the angle noted is the same but if you look at the vertical lines going to the back of the spindle (Not the one going through the holes) there are slight difference and i think thats where the andles are taken. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but that is why I tried measuring it myself to find any differences. I acknowledge your comment to not trust scale drawings. I have also overlayd the images and the conclusion of increasing camber is seen.

Once again happy to be wrong just trying to collate some decent information on spindle difference.

If there is no change to camber then Great! Then any spindle should be fine on any car

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 06:22:52 PM »

Harv the difference is one minute while the tolerance is ten minutes (not seconds) in other words it is insignificant. Around 0.04mm over the roughly six inch length of stub axle. Beats me why the mech drafter would show this.

As to the reference line you could well be right Whealy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 06:32:41 PM »

Looks to me like the line through the back of spindle as you refer to it is 90 degrees to the axis of revolution in each case.

Read Harvs post properly and realise I was repeating what he had said. Sorry Harv.

Cheers
Clay

Luke Healey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 07:03:37 PM »

HQ is not 90°
And the vertical line changes in refrence to the bolt hole line.
Anyway may have to agree to disagree on that one Clay.

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 07:14:59 PM »

I’m only looking on my grubby phone through the coke bottle bottoms of glasses I’ve got with my cracked Jaffa eyes so your prolly right there Whealy. Just don’t get why they moved the goalposts. Ball joints same across the range?

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 07:31:22 PM »

Looks to me like the line through the back of spindle as you refer to it is 90 degrees to the axis of revolution in each case.

Read Harvs post properly and realise I was repeating what he had said. Sorry Harv.

Nope, your correct - the values are in minutes, not seconds i.e.
HG as 7 degrees 31minutes (give or take 10 minutes),
HQ as 7 degrees 30minutes (give or take 10 minutes), and
HR as 7 degrees 30minutes (give or take 10 minutes).

Same argument though - they are all the same within tolerance.

Damn... degrees, minutes, seconds. It's been nearly thirty years since I really knew that stuff... my knowledge of geometry has long since been dissolved in ethanol  Cheesy.

Cheers,
Harv
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 08:00:44 PM »

HG HQ And HR are all the same angle (HG and HQ are identical stub axles dimensionally). They can be interchanged without a problem. It's the Torana ones which have a different angle and should not be used on a HR front end.

Ken
Luke Healey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 08:18:59 PM »

Cheers Ken

So am i the only one who read about King Pin Inclination being an issue? All that i found was on forums and I know that there are many self proclaimed experts around so thats why i have been gathering this information.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 09:24:40 PM »

King pin inclination is the problem, but it's only on Torana stub axles.
You've virtually proved it yourself. The KPI angles are all the same on the stub axles you have drawings of. If you can find a Torana drawing you'll find it has a different angle.

Ken
FireKraka

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 10:43:53 AM »

Whealey I have run HR, HQ and CRS drop spindles on my Sedan and now have HR drum brake on my ute project and no problem with having wheel alignment done, the guys that do mine have never questioned what type I had or if there was an issue setting it up.

If I remember the good thing about HQ/HZ is they give you 20mm drop.

Regards
Neil
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 12:44:49 PM »

Ken,

I was beginning to have doubts.  I remember when a friend did a disc brake conversion on his EH, and used an HR front suspension with Torana discs, calipers and steering knuckles.  And it had way too much positive camber, until we found HR steering knuckles.

And when I set my HD X2 up with Torana discs, I used HD-HR steering knuckles instead of Torana ones.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 07:36:34 AM »

To make it simple ,if you put torana stubs on a hr front end with hr upper control arms ,you will be spacing your upper inner control arm shaft to hell [where your wheel alignment is done] and your upper control arm will probably rub on your inner guard not to mention how hard it becomes to get spacers in there . You will see a lot of FX FJ's with a window cut in the inner guard for this purpose . If you were running 13x7 rims with standard offset you may find using torana stubs and advantage due to the offset at the upper ball joint giving you rim clearance but the downside is you will struggle to align . In short Ken is correct . 
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »

Anyone tried running Torana upper control arm with Torana stub axle steering knuckle and HR lower control arm on HR front end? I don’t know if they can be made to fit but seems it could be a solution to gain rim clearance to the top ball joint as suggested I think by Haydn.
Cheers
Clay

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 07:35:54 PM »

Clay,

Torana suspension components aren't compatible with HR.
It is possible (don't ask how I know) to use HT-HG upper control arms and shafts on an HR front suspension, though.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 11:43:35 PM »

I guess that was the reply I was expecting, thanks Rob.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: