FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:28:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Spindle pics  (Read 6913 times)
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2018, 09:42:31 AM »

I cant remember if possible [probably not ] to put HK lower control arms and shafts on HR with upper control arms and torana stubs . I don't know why you would . I just seem to remember HK being close visually .
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2018, 09:40:59 PM »

Haydn,

The HK lower control arms are dimensionally similar to HR, but the devil's in the details.
HR lower control arms have the "tang" at the rear which act as "full lock stops" for the steering arms; on HK lower control arms they were deleted, and the HKTG steering arms have the "tang" on them instead.  In HRs the bump stops are fitted to the lower control arms, in HKs the bump stops are on the front crossmember.  I think that HK lower control arm shafts are bigger diameter than HR, on the obtuse-threaded bit that screws into the front crossmember.  HKs may have used the same lower control arm bushes as HRs.  And the HK lower control arms allow you to use front springs with bigger diameter spring wire than you can get away with on an HR (found this out the hard way when trying to fit lowered heavy-duty HKTG V8 front springs to my HD).

Upper control arms and shafts are the same for both HR and HK, I think.

Just dug up an LC Torana workshop manual.  The magic angle on the Torana steering knuckles is 9 degrees, zero minutes (cf 7 deg. 30 minutes for all the "full-size" Holdens).

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 12:55:43 PM »

Thanks for that Rob , I just remember that sometimes I would be preparing both model lower control arms at Rods Racks and remembered that they were close , but of course we would take the steering stops off as a matter of course and the bump stops would be removed before blasting . We quite often had to replace lower control arm shafts in cross members and so on . I also understand the shock and noise when you find you have put the wrong coils in your cross member. I guess I was just pondering ,if the Torana spindles sit the ball joints further away and therefore forces the control arm shaft away from the spring tower ,would it be possible to counteract this with a set of HK lower control arms .

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 09:43:31 PM »

Haydn,

I don't think so.  The effective length of all the king-pin lower control arms is 14.0", and I think the effective length of the HR lower control arms is 14.2" (go back a few years and someone did post a photo showing the difference between HD ball-joint and HR lower control arms).  I don't have access to an HR shop manual, and my HD manual only has data for the king-pin front suspension.  The effective length of HK lower control arms is 14.3"; so I don't reckon HK lower arms would be long enough so that you could use them on an HR front suspension with Torana steering knuckles.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 11:31:48 PM »

Now I’m not sure of the distance between ball joint centres on any of these assemblies but assuming 200mm or about 8”, then 1.5 degrees for the difference in kpi between Torana and HD-HZ, then sin 1.5 x 8 = 0.2”

You have also widened your track by close to 0.4” as the stubs are near the bottom ball joint. So in theory HD top arm, torry upright and HR lower arm should achieve correct camber. You then need to increase rim offset by 0.2” to maintain factory plus 25mm track, assuming six inch rims. I think you have just lost the extra clearance to the top ball joint. Im sticking with the stock HR disc hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: