FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:31:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: White Wall Tyres  (Read 16539 times)
Cat
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2003, 12:10:17 AM »

And I guess that makes three of us......Poo roolz  Grin

Zoom zoom!
Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2003, 09:43:44 AM »

What do you mean poo  roolz Grey is the colour that roolz other wise you would not be pickng on the top colour.
WAYNE
Cat
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2003, 11:29:01 AM »

No picking intended......I was just stating FACT.....  

Poo roolz!

Cool

Zoom zoom!
Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2003, 12:08:23 AM »

No grey rules the white walls look great with the grey.
WAYNE
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2003, 05:23:01 AM »

I have the ability to deny access to users who persist in wasting their grey matter writing poo, you know....

It's really starting to get dull you guys. :-/

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2003, 06:56:28 AM »

Rabbit

Back on the subject of white walls (sorry to the grey/black/white and technicolor brigades  Grin), the porta walls that RET mentioned are also available from John's Rod and Custom in Melbourne.  The Antique Tyre Porta Walls are Atlas brand (from England) and the JR & C are made locally.  I went for the JR & C ones as they are supposedly better???  When using Porta Walls you need to be careful of damage to the sidewall of the tyre as these can sometimes be rubbed badly by the Porta Wall.  Also, if you use brand new tyres, the dye in the tyre can stain the porta wall - they also squeak when you drive but this is what the radio is for  Grin Grin Grin

EK Mad, there is a bloke in Sydney who does have the machine that you talk about, I got his number from Rare Spares when I called them about porta walls a few months ago.  I spoke to him and he said that he does a lot of rods and Harleys.  From memory he was about the same price as porta walls.  Sorry, but I don't have his number anymore.

I ended up going for the porta walls as you could get a wider strip of white as apposed to painting them on but thats only a personal thing.

Cheers - Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2003, 10:43:58 PM »

It's my understanding that the possibility of PortaWalls damaging the tyre side-wall is more of an issue when running them on radials than cross-ply tyres.  If anyone knows more about that I'd be interested to know.

I looked into the grooved/painted tyre thing too, but I couldn't see the value in it when it costs as much per tyre as the PortaWall anyway.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Hotlips
sa-club

I love my EFFEE

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2003, 03:15:39 AM »

:DYears ago I had the "groove cut-out and then paint" job done on my EFFEE.  Yes it looked good but didn't last.  I later found out it was ILLEGAL to cut any part of the side wall off of a tyre.  YIKES!?@*&^# Shocked Shocked.  Just as well they didn't last.  
Has anyone heard of white walls that successfully go onto radial tyres??? Cheers HOTLIPS. Wink Wink Wink

I am woman, hear me ROAR - "vrrmm vrrmm"
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2003, 05:22:51 AM »

I suspect that the guys who do the painted-on white-walls no longer cut into the sidewall first.  But if you think about the amount of flexing that the tyres do, it's little wonder that the paint cracks and peels.

You can use Porta-Walls with radials, as long as they're not real low-profile jobs.  I think you have to be a bit more diligent about keeping the rubber-grease up to them, that's all.  Otherwise they will rub the sidewall and both will wear.

Give Antique Tyres a call and ask them what they recommend.  Their number is 03 9458 4433.

cheers
RET

fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2003, 01:13:27 PM »

I had  Atlas white walls fitted to radial tyres, the tyre stained the white wall and the white wall put a groove in the side of the tyre. I latter was told by a tyre dealer that there are 2 different types of white walls, one for radials and one for cross plys.

Regards
            Seb Smiley

Yellow Knight

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: