FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 12:48:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: When did Holden stop making grey motors?  (Read 4264 times)
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2017, 06:22:41 PM »

I got another grey motor to play with on Good Friday.  Nothing out of the ordinary, so I thought -
engine number J32510, date code H222 (22 August 1962, making it only a few days older than I), but the cylinder head has F104 cast on it.  F104 is June 10, 1964.  And no, it's not an FJ head.  It has two heater outlets, and the part number is 7412811.

So I figure that Holden didn't stop casting grey motor components when the EH was released.

I also remember that Jim's (fcwrangler's) police-numbered block seemed to be a 1965 casting.

Does anybody else have post-July 1963 grey blocks or heads?  Does anybody know when the last grey motor castings came out of the GMH foundry?

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 06:29:03 AM »

I guess there would have been some grey blocks manufactured for warranty/service stocks.

Holden were also flogging greys as dedicated industrial motors (forklifts, cement mixers etc). I've got the spare parts manual somewhere at home (magentos were an option  Grin). I haven't seen a red motor industrial unit from Holden (not that I have looked too hard), so it is possible the greys continued in industrial use for quite some time.

Good question for Dr Terry.

Cheers,
Harv
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »

Today I asked Stan Bennett about post-EH-release grey motor components, and his answer was that GMH was far less concerned about inbuilt obsolescence in the '60s than they are now.  Major grey engine parts were still available new for some years after Holden started making red motors.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 09:13:47 PM »

Sorry to bring up an old post but I thought this information might be of interest.

I two replacement motors with VicPolice Motor Numbers, one in a FC ute and one in a FE Sedan.

1. FC Ute motor stamp in 1967 (V67...P) with a build date of D265. If I have deciphered this correctly that would make it April 26th, 1965.
2. FE Sedan motor stamp 1963(V63....P) with a build date of C6 3 - March 6th, 1963. (There is a blank between the 6 and the 3).

On a side issue both of these replacement motors both have another number stamped on the "flat" where the fuel pump attaches. Please see an old post I made in relation to this- Re: Strange Engine Number

Cheers

Rod
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 07:06:27 AM »

We used stamp a job number on heads in case a dodgy customer wanted to bring back a job for claim which we hadn't done work on ..Similarly we kept record of engine numbers of engine jobs until warranty passed ..Of note, Repco bought brand new 149 and 179 engines from GMH in early 70's to put into the exchange engine stock of Gold Star exchange engines ..Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 01:53:49 PM »

I remember an old panel beater friend of mine complaining that his WB ute was only a few years old but the parts he needed for putting his passenger door back together were no longer available [obsolete]. As if by the early 80 lack of replacement parts was unusual to him .I was working for a Holden parts distributor at the time and driving a Torana and rebuilding my[was my Mums] FE sedan .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: