FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:09:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Engine Number  (Read 2484 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2006, 10:11:04 AM »

Hi all,

I asked this question a few years back and did not get a reply so I thought I would ask again.

I have a grey motor with engine number stamped in the normal place. It was a replacement (138) placed in a FC ute in 1967 so the first two digits indicated (V67...P).

The point of this post is that there is another engine number stamped just above the fuel pump. It is SE19993. The SE are large followed by the smaller numbers. These are stamped unlike other numbers found on the block. Any ideas. Wouldn't it be good if the SE stood for Special Edition.

I have a number of other greys which don't have a number stamped here at all. Its the first one I have seen.

Cheer

Rod
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 10:22:49 AM »

I recall this being discussed before with the answer being the V = the state Victoria & the P = Police

Something about the police being in charge of engine number files to ensure stolen engines don't turn up in cars presenting for rego or at sale.

Similarly with replacement or recovered engines, they were stamped with the state & no Huh

I am sure someone on the forum knows the whole story
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 10:28:17 AM »

Hi Zulu,

Yes I am aware of the correct engine number being police stamped V...P meaning Victoria Police. I even now the story on how the country copper had to witness the mechanic stamp this motor.

It is the other number located just above the fuel pump is the one I haven't seen before / after info on.

Cheers

Rod
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 11:35:17 AM »

Hey Rod.
I have not seen/noticed a number in the location you mention. Perhaps it was stamped there by the person who reconditioned the motor to help identify it for warranty purposes.
Regards
Alex

Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 08:52:53 AM »

Hi Alex,

I thought of this also. But the number is very deliberate and neat unlike the actual engine number that was stamped by the mechanic in the presence of the local copper.

I understand that the VP number is for a new or replacement engine not a reconditioned one. Can anyone she light on this. I think the engine was a new one put into the ute.

Cheers again

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: