FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:15:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My FE  (Read 59494 times)
Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »

All is not lost.  Get an old saucepan, and about half a cup of (front-loader) laundry powder or dishwasher detergent.  Put the brake shoe in the saucepan, cover with water, add the powder, bring to the boil.  Bubble it up for half an hour or so, then rinse well with water and let dry.
If it's a rear brake shoe that's been fluid-soaked, you'll have no trouble at all.  If it's a front, particularly the primary shoe (that's the one with the two links), it may be a bit grabby for a while before it settles down.

Rob
Cool! Thanks again. I will get to this in a couple weeks 👍🏻
It's the rear drivers side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2018, 11:23:28 PM »

You may want to buy the cook some flowers when you start marinating car parts in the kitchen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2018, 11:17:00 AM »

Drum brake soup this morning. I live by myself so I didn’t buy myself any flowers haha

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2018, 10:56:39 PM »

Pulled the water pump off this evening.. unfortunately the radiator never got drained so there’s a heap of rust.

I want to flush this out before fitting the new water pump, any tips on how I do this?
I’ll get more pics tomorrow.

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2018, 08:14:26 AM »

When I got my old FC van back in the 80's it had been parked for decades [only 20k on the clock] ,and when I started to pull the old motor out I noticed the toe of a women's stocking clamped between the top hose and the radiator inlet. In amongst all the rust scale was the remnants of one of those old blue [copper sulphate I think] bombs in the gauze pouch that women would use to get washing white . If it were me I would put an old pump on there and use something like Barrs Buff in the water and run the engine for a few minutes and then put the garden hose in the bottom radiator hose and a few extra hoses on the top to divert the water away from the car and start and run the car until the water runs clean.

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »

Gurney is a good start. Then put the old pump back on and plug the outlet. There is an acid solution you can get at most parts outlets that will dissolve the scale and rust. Flush with the gurney again. Fit a radiator sock filter in the bottom hose to collect loose bits that will continue to appear and run an anti rust coolant additive.

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2018, 10:14:19 AM »
+1

Or if you want to go to a huge amount of effort, pull the motor out of the car, take the gearbox and flywheel off, remove the welch plugs at the rear (1), left (3), right (2, inside the pushrod cover) of the block and get stuck in with a Gerni.

I'm only half-joking.  The welch plug at the back of the block is usually the first one to rust through, and it's a nightmare to replace with the motor in the car.

And since you've got the motor out of the car, it's an ideal time to check for badly seating valves.  And then you can do a really good job of cleaning the scale out of the block with the head off, if the head needs a service.

And then, because the motor's out of the car and the head's off, you'd do it a great favour by giving it a hone and rings and bearings.  And a replacement timing gear too.

See how easily things get out of hand?  I speak from experience here . . .

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2020, 09:11:43 PM »

Well hello there good people!

I've certainly had a while away from this forum and I've got plenty to share of where my car is at. We've come a long way so ill start from the start..
After plenty of advice this has turned into a nut & bolt restoration.. first step was motor out thanks to help from my friend Vic.
Then a big clean up thanks to my jetter.

More pics tomorrow!

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »

G'Day Dawgy 57 ..I have just picked up your thread ..Great story so far ,I love it ,and can relate to it ,so pleased a young fella has followed his grand pa's passion..great original car with close family history ..i'll follow your progress ,cheers Vern .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2020, 07:27:16 AM »

Next it was time to strip the interior and get ready to send to the (evential) painters who got the car ready for dipping.
Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2020, 07:30:25 AM »

G'Day Dawgy 57 ..I have just picked up your thread ..Great story so far ,I love it ,and can relate to it ,so pleased a young fella has followed his grand pa's passion..great original car with close family history ..i'll follow your progress ,cheers Vern .
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2020, 07:31:22 AM »

Does anyone know why these photos are loading sideways? Is there anything I can do?

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2020, 07:37:10 AM »

And then, because the motor's out of the car and the head's off, you'd do it a great favour by giving it a hone and rings and bearings.  And a replacement timing gear too.

See how easily things get out of hand?  I speak from experience here . . .

Rob

It's safe to say it got out of hand like you said.. we pulled the motor out, gave it a hone, 2 cylinders were cracked and had to get re- sleeved.

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2020, 07:45:04 AM »

I just noticed - the absence of ribs on the crankcase left hand side says to me that you have an FX-FJ motor.  Does the engine number have a letter prefix, or is it all numerals?

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2020, 07:53:51 AM »

Then... Acid dip time!! It went on for paint removal dip bath, then rust removal dip.

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2020, 07:57:51 AM »

I just noticed - the absence of ribs on the crankcase left hand side says to me that you have an FX-FJ motor.  Does the engine number have a letter prefix, or is it all numerals?

Rob
I don't know?? I will visit the shop where it's at today and see.

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
+1

Etch Primer.. certainly looking like a different car now.
There's a few rust holes showing up here & there, but overall pretty good condition for its age and history.

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2020, 11:38:38 AM »

18/3/20 new pistons going in the motor, and some more photos of where the body is at.

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2020, 05:47:57 PM »

Not too many surprises rust and filler wise dawg, that’s good. You saved yourself some work getting it dipped. 2k etch I suppose? What sort of cost if it’s not too rude?
Cheers
Clay

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2020, 08:26:08 AM »

Not too many surprises rust and filler wise dawg, that’s good. You saved yourself some work getting it dipped. 2k etch I suppose? What sort of cost if it’s not too rude?
Cheers
Clay

Overall the condition was pretty good, the floor plans had a few holes and a few more than i expected but not nearly as bad as what it could have been. The dip process costed me a couple arms and legs. Around $4800. Glad I've been saving for years.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: