FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:44:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Its the very first time & not the last  (Read 5255 times)
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« on: August 02, 2003, 05:29:31 AM »

Hi Gents
Well I have an idea of how to do it but some advice would he handy before I do it.

What has he done you ask ?
A.   I have sheared off a bolt whilst replacing my water pump.

Q. Its my first bolt shear so what is the best method of extraction and yes it is flush with the block.

A.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 05:35:42 AM »

Hey Jim,

Saw a method the other day that may help...

Get a nut that you could put over the old bolt and then weld it to the bolt through the hole. Wait for it to cool and Bob's your uncle... Well hopefully.

good luck.
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 05:39:15 AM »

Thanks for the tip Jason, Sounds good I only have access to an arc welder I think a mig would be better.

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 06:47:37 AM »

Hi Jim, A possible solution, if you have enough room to work (you would probably have to remove the radiator) with a punch make a dent in the centre of the sheared bolt & drill about a 1/8" dia. x about 1/2" deep hole in the centre of the bolt. Then get a No. 2 or No. 3 "Ezy Out" You can buy them individualy or in a set from tool or auto shops. Good Luck  Wink
Gary
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 08:24:33 AM »

Question - did the bolt shear off after it had been tightened down onto the pump or was the thread really tight and the bolt sheared off before it bore down on the pump.
This is important as it determines how tight the remaining section of bolt in the block will be.
If a) then a simple drill and easy-out will remove it quite quickly as the remains should not be tight in the block.
If b) then an easy-out will struggle and may even break itself.  Welding a nut is the best solution.  Mig is best but a good arc weld will work - drill the nut with a countersink to enable good weld penetration.
Ken
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 08:57:52 AM »

Thanks Guys
I thought the ezy out would be the best solution. I will go and get a set of them tommorrow as I think this is the first of many to come.

I will use the welding as my second option.

Thanks again.  Grin Angry Embarrassed

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 02:30:58 AM »

Afternoon All
Thanks for the advice. Ken it was 1, I could have used a little super glue on a stick to get it out. I used the ezy out method it came out very very ezzy.

I have the whole set now so can shear as many bolts as I like.

By the way I replaced the bolts with 4 new ones thought after the first mishap it would be a good idea.

Thanks again  Grin Grin Grin Grin

ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2003, 10:43:28 AM »

Hey Jim,
A good set of taps is what you need next as you are going to find many bolts that feel to tight, so run a tap through them first. I did this to every thread when I put my motor back together and boy it made life easier.

Chris   Cool
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 11:38:47 AM »

Too right Chris, especially the hinge to door threads and the threads down the trailing edge of front mudguards.
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 07:10:14 AM »

Evening Gents

Thanks for the tip, It will be the first item on my list along with about 3000 new nuts bolts and screws.

Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 09:21:27 AM »

Hi Jim

Just my 2 cents worth.  When using the ezy outs, you have to be very careful not to snap one.  They are brittle and sometimes it is a little tempting to give them a little extra just in case the bolt comes loose.  If this happens, they are virtually (ie. completely) impossible to drill through - I'm saying this with clenched teeth  Grin Grin Grin

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
Grah

I'm in love with DORIS!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 09:47:25 AM »

Just a note from an old fella, ezy outs are allwelland good, but what happened to left hand drill bits, they were the dogs nuts at getting out broken soft bolts and studs. Anything harder than 10.9, like allen headed bolts use Kobolt drill bits, Snap On make em, yes expenisve but worth it if you are heavy handed. just a tip, if your using taps, use cutting paste or pleanty of lube oil and a is the thread is really buggered, use a second cut before the plug. Cheers.

Grah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: