FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:57:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fitting external oil filter  (Read 3075 times)
Rocket
« on: July 02, 2003, 12:24:00 AM »

Does anyone know where to put all the pipes when fitting an external oil filter on a grey motor.

Many thanks for your continued help

Rod
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 09:25:38 PM »

Assuming you have an 'AC' type filter like mine, the top inlet should attach to where the oil pressure sender is using a T piece or similar. The bottom hose screws into a threaded hole close to the bottom of the block directly below cylinder no 2 (and the vent pipe). You will just need to remove the plug and screw in the hose.  There is another hole higher up and a bit further back- not sure what it is for.

Hope this helps.

David
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 11:18:16 PM »

Thanks David for your reply.

However, I have one query I hope someone can answer. Does it matter if these if these two pipes are connected the other way around. The reason I ask is that I would assume the flow of oil comes from the oil pump via the oil switch hole and then into the filter. The connection at the top of the filter housing is connected to this with the bottom one connected to the oil gallery plug which David has indicated. What I don't understand is, the oil would be flowing from outside the element in. I would assume to filter the oil it should move from inside the element outwards which would suggests the pipes should be connected the other way around.
I hope you can understand what I am trying to convey.

Many Thanks Rod
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 02:11:50 AM »

Rod
As David has indicated the drain from the filter housing comes from the bottom which picks up from centre of filter insert, oil from the motor comes from the switch outlet to the side of filter housing.

The reason for this is the amount of surface area of the filter insert is greatest on the outside, this allows the maximum surface area to be exposed to the dirty oil. If you send the oil up the centre of filter the oil insert has a smaller surface area to filter with and will clog up quicker.
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 03:45:08 AM »

Many Thanks John and David,
Your explanation makes sense.
Rod
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 02:53:50 AM »

Thanks Guy's
I am about to do an oil change on the old girl and fit my filter. I picked up a real good filter with all the fitting from Banyo swap for $10 not bad at all if I must say so my self, it even came with the T piece.

Thanks again  Cheesy Grin Wink Smiley Tongue

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: