FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 29, 2024, 02:45:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gearbox Selector Shaft Lever Seal  (Read 9278 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2016, 01:29:18 PM »

Can anyone advise if it is possible to get the replacement seal for the gear box selector shaft control lever please?
In the parts manual it is listed in section 4.302 as part no. 7400255. I don't want to dig it out only to find it isn't available.  Embarrassed
Cheers, Ken
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 02:20:47 PM »

Hi Ken,
CBC Bearings used to stock them. You might give them a try. Rares probably only do a kit.

Cheers
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 03:04:21 PM »

The selector shaft seal is available from many engineering shops, including CBC Bearings. It is a TC-type seal. NAK Australia part number E062.100.25 will allow your supplier to cross-reference it to any other brand (if they do not supply NAK).

FB/EK Holden 3-speed Crashbox Enthusiasts Guide

Cheers,
Harv
DCE80
sa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:48:47 PM »

Just did mine recently. Selector seal was from Rares adelaide. Was a very narrow but basic oil seal $11 each I think. I was sold two after asking and as I hadn't dismantled didnt question the quantity. Also bought gasket kit with control seal ( poorly punched cork).
Anyhow after removing selector seal and finding a deep bore I decided to install both back to back. Figured if I kept second one it would perish before I ever used it and two back to back would never leak.
As mentioned by others any bearing supplies place could supply one. I still have package for mine and can post pic tomorrow if you like.
Dan
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 05:28:01 AM »

My last post I wrote back to back but it should of just said two seals in same hole. I didn't spin one around back to back as it reads.
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 03:03:55 PM »

C3044 is Rares number in adelaide may not be same elsewhere.

Seal was about the width of two ten cent pieces. Very narrow but did the job as it has a sealing compound pre applied to outer diameter.
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 06:21:04 PM »

Thanks everyone. Great advice as always.
Cheers, Ken
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 06:24:21 PM »

How difficult was it to change that seal, does the gearbox require dismantling? Is it easy to get out? Mine is leaking like a sieve. Just wondering what sort of task I have ahead of me.

Regards Rod.

FC the Marilyn Monroe of Holdens. All the curves in exactly the right places!
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 09:55:17 PM »

There are two levers and two seals. If you're going to do the plain oil seal in pic the other needs to be disturbed in this process. It is easy to do and you don't need to dismantle much at all. It is well explained in the manual. In short remove horizontal control lever and vertical selector lever from their respective shafts. Undo the three bolts that hold seal housing/control lever shaft bearing support housing from side of gearbox. Once bolts are removed push vertical shaft up and into housing to disengage it from the selector shaft. Remove housing by pulling directly off gearbox to clear dowels and selector shaft. The rest of the job will be obvious but take care reassembling as not to damage seal ( tool originally available to help but can do without) control seal is just a cork donut and can be hand made. Rare spares sells a gasket kit that includes cork seal and housing gasket but if I was to do again I'd buy material and make myself as I still had to modify gasket to fit.
Hope this helps
Dan
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 08:12:54 PM »

Thanks Dan. I will tackle it this weekend. Picked up the seal from CBC Bearings so I'm set to go.
Cheers, Ken.
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 03:36:24 PM »

For anyone following this thread that doesn't have a manual handy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: