FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:00:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FB/EK Holden 3-speed Crashbox Enthusiasts Guide  (Read 17841 times)
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As promised, please find attached a link to the FB/EK Holden 3-speed Crashbox Enthusiasts Guide:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/141577453/FB-EK-HOLDEN-THREE-SPEED-CRASHBOX-ENTHUSIASTS-GUIDE

My apologies for taking so long with this one - I kinda got distracted with floor shifters  Roll Eyes Grin

This document aims to provide some information regarding three-speed manual gearboxes (crashboxes) suitable for FB and EK Holdens. It contains:
• historical information, such as which gearboxes and fittings were fitted to different model Holdens,
• practical information on identification, disassembly and reassembly of early Holden gearboxes,
• guidance on adjustment, maintenance, replacement parts and overhaul techniques, and
• information on accessory floor shifters.

It contains answers to many of the questions that seem to come up routinely on most of the early Holden forums:
“What overhaul parts are available for my early Holden crashbox, and where do I get them from?”
“Why is my crashbox jumping out of gear?”
“What oil should I run in my crashbox?”

Whilst this document is primarily related to the FB and EK Holden gearboxes, much of the information is similar or identical to other early Holdens. This document also contains a significant amount of information related to floor shifters. My original intention was to cover only those floor shifters which fit the grey motor crashbox. However, as always, the more I dug into aftermarket floor shifters the more interesting things got... and I got a little carried away. Section 9 now contains some interesting historical information, and has information relating to floor shifters of the “three-on-the tree” era (FX-WB Holdens) rather than just being limited to grey motors.

Happy to field any queries or corrections.

Cheers,
Harv (deputy apprentice crashbox fiddler).
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »

Bugger me that's in depth. Great work mate

FCV08

Model: FC

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »

Thanks Harv

Great info.
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:11:02 AM »

Picked up an error in the document. The table on page 17 indicates the speedo drive gear has six teeth... in fact it has seven. This also affects the cable speed indicated in the tables on pages 25, 26, 27 and 28. Fiddly, but important if you are trying to calculate speedo gearing for a modified vehicle.

Cheers,
Harv
fink

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »

Thanks for the info Harv,do you know if the selector shaft seals are available,thanks Gaz ?
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:14:54 AM »

G'day Gaz,

Yep, the selector shaft seals are available in both the Rare Spares and Status Engineering overhaul kits. If you want just the single seal, you can get them from NAK Australia as part number E062.100.25.

Address:   14 Donald Street Guildford  NSW  2161
Telephone:    (02) 96816800
Facsimile:   (02) 96816899
Email:    sales@nak.com.au
Internet:   http://www.nak.com.au

I've got a spare one here - if it's only the single seal you need, send me an address and I'll pop it into the post, gratis.

Cheers,
Harv
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 05:44:42 PM »

The seals are different though aren't they. The one under the main selector is a "proper" seal while the one under the longer selector arm is a angled cork thing which is usually the leak culprit.

Ken
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:14:37 AM »

G'day Ken,

Yes, the selector shaft seal is a neoprene lip seal. It fits on the shaft that is horizontal. The selector lever shaft seal is a little cork job that goes on the shaft that is vertical, and gets soaked in gear oil to make it swell.

You can buy the little cork seal as part of the Rare Spares gasket kit (part number 7405896 - should be a lot cheaper than the full overhaul kit), or can punch one out of a bit of leftover cork (the excess cork from a full grey motor gasket kit is handy for this  Grin).

Gaz, if its the cork you need let me know and I'll throw a bit of offcut in the mail.

Cheers,
Harv
fink

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 07:50:49 AM »

I'll check it out Harv and get back,thanks! Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: