FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:39:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: plain FE-FC utes and vans  (Read 37981 times)
detective

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2015, 08:57:48 PM »

g'day all  ..  one of my favourite quirkiest Holdens was the FE-FC ute or van with all the "no frills" options LOL ...

...the FE commercials had a chrome grille and headlight rims, but no blinker/park lamp assembly...and the FC's had a painted grille/headlight rims...but provision for the blinkers in the park lamps...

...is anyone contemplating an 'nth degree resto on one of these old classics...and even right down to the no glass upper tailgate?....(sorry fellas  ..  i'm a purist at heart LOL)
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »

Yep, the Nationals have seen all these variations. Quite a few FC Utes and vans done with painted grilles. Only one FC van that I can remember with the no glass upper tailgate.
I will dig up some photos and post for you.

Ken
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »

S.A. club had our show and shine on Sunday at the National Motor Museum.
One of our members has the classic rusty holden ute.
Painted grille and headlight and taillight surrounds.
Lock only on passenger door.

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 12:42:37 AM »

FE van at Philip Island

FC van at Mildura

Regards
Alex

detective

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »

...thanks for the replies fellas...next question!  .. has anyone seen an FE/FC 2104 body plate that doesn't have RPO 303? (rear tailgate window)
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 04:46:14 PM »

I don't have a photo of one, but I have 40 records for FE vans of which 9 do not have a 333 code.
For FC I have 15 recorded without a 333 out of 120 records.
Just from this statistic it seems FE was more common than FC to have no rear glass.
Now some of these may have been given to me incorrectly and there was a 333 on the plate, but a large percentage of these were recorded by me and definitely have no 333 on the plate. The interesting thing is that all the ones I personally have seen without the 333 all had the rear glass.
Gary Claypole's (Zulus) ambulance has barn doors and he has supplied me with the details of his ID plate.
Maybe Gary can confirm the lack of 333 on his ID plate and put up a photo?

Ken
detective

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »

...thanks Ken  ..  there were certainly quite a few that apparently came from the factory without the rear window, but would they have actually seen the roads without it? (registration state by state?)....there seems to be nothing to show for one of these top 'gates ever in a picture except for the GMH adverts of the day

...and also was the interior mirror deleted from the non 333 and option 333 vans...similar to the requirement for the RH external one as in the FJ vans...ex factory?

...i have two or three FE/FC 2104 body plates with the 333 option ('scuse the 303 mistake) and will post the details ASAP....cheers fellas
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:51:07 PM by detective » Logged
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 06:59:41 PM »

Hi Ken

The Boonah Ambulance was purchased as a panel van from the successful tenderer, Faulkner Motors for the sum of £837.0.0.

it was then converted for Ambulance use by Hedges Bodyworks £392.17.6 who fitted it with the barn doors

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 07:21:59 PM »

Hi Ken

The Boonah Ambulance was purchased as a panel van from the successful tenderer, Faulkner Motors for the sum of £837.0.0.

it was then converted for Ambulance use by Hedges Bodyworks at a cost of £392.17.6 who fitted it with the rear door behind the driver, barn doors, attendants seat, rear cupboards, split front seat, black glass, rear headliner and all the other bits and pieces

Bit hard to read in the pic, it's CHASSIS NO FC-16147-B

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 09:42:43 PM »

I have a copy of a pic of an FC van circa 1970? Without the rear window. It's a modified van but appears to be original without rear window.
According to the parts book, no vans were fitted with an internal rear view mirror.
It us possible that option 333 was not just the inclusion of a rear window, but the inclusion of an internal rear view mirror as well.

Ken
detective

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 09:51:10 PM »

thanks for the gen fellas  ..  sorry for the barrage of questions too  ..  these commercials are a fascinating bunch and you would wonder why the reason for the blanked off upper gate?...considering the FJ vans never had that option...

...the funeral industry maybe?...and not neccessarily a hearse...?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 10:02:51 PM »

Here is the pic

My personal opinion is that contractors of the day found that the FJ van had a deficiency in that sunlight could get in the rear window onto the contents.
If you were a florist or a grocer etc then you don't want sunlight coming through the rear window onto the contents.
Don't know why it was never continued in later models apart from the fact that they were very difficult to reverse.
Ken
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 09:14:24 AM »

On Kens point about internal mirror in Panelvan, or the lack of, the 3 door van has a very old reversible mirror, possibly from an earlier car, anyone recognise it?

There appear to be no other holes in the headliner where a stock mirror would have been

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 12:52:51 PM »

That red van belonged to Wes Collis.
Taken at Castlereagh drags in 1983, here's a better pic.

A couple of years later he put a back window in.

As a matter of interest, the black FC on the left was an ex hearse.
Regards
Alex

detective

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 01:05:35 PM »

jeeez!  ..  he may still have the windowless tailgate hanging around somewhere...that would certainly be a rarity...
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 08:26:55 PM »

Thanks for sharing that pic of the Wes Collis van Alex, apart from the obvious answer, do you reckon that's an FC colour?

Seminole Brown perhaps?
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 12:25:07 AM »

Hey Gary.
Not a standard colour.

Last I heard from Wes was about 20 years ago and the car was off the road following an accident.
His brother was driving and a woman came around a corner too wide and ran into the front of the van. He said he was rebuilding it, but I have not seen it since.
Regards
Alex

detective

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »

...going the other way on the van options  ..  i'm sure there were a few full windowed "two door Station Wagons" for lack of a better term...panel vans glazed all round ??...would that be true?
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 10:54:10 PM »

This is an FE Panelvan, but badged as a Station Sedan,  has no spare tyre door, has a full headliner, with wagon rear glass

Aussie Nomad?
detective

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 07:22:30 AM »

....thanks Zulu  ..  i'm going back in the grey matter a fair way with all these questions, but i do remember these and the 3 door versions back in the day...so these ones essentially were a wagon after all with a wagon bodyplate?...

...do you know if they have a different body number sequence to the normal wagons?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: