FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:19:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Vk rack conversion intermediate shafts  (Read 14901 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2015, 04:35:14 PM »

Hello all. Hope everyone has been enjoying the festive season and new year etc. It's my birthday today so I'm getting a bit more cash to purchase some things. But I have a few questions to ask.

I currently have a vk manual rack. I have found a vl power steer wreck that has an intermediate shaft available.

1/ does anyone know whether this will be suitable/same as a vk manual int shaft as I don't have one?

2/ does a vs column to intermediate shaft have same joint/spline etc as a vk? I know the manual one is same and I have to change things anyway.

3/ has anyone use the universal quick release steering wheel hubs etc or aftermarket ones. So I'd like to know what options I have cos I just want a horn button and indicators etc.

4/ it will be auto so has anyone done a modern say t700 boy and got any tips. What works well etc and is there an advantage using anything ek etc.

5/ has anyone run a carbed engine and used only a vn pickup pump or do u need an inline as well. I'm using a vs tank.

Please feel free to post any links etc.

Cheers

Deano.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Frankiej

Model: other Holden

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:10:31 PM »

Hey Deano I have similar questions but I want to know what shaft to use from a vs column into a vk steering rack.
Cheers Frankie.
Gman

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:28:41 PM »

Hi Deano,
I have some experience with Commodores having raced one in speedway for years and played with many different combinations, so here goes,

1/ they are the same (manual rack has a long shaft from rack to make up for the lack of a power head)

2/no, vs racks are fery different in the intermediate shaft attachment

3/yes, but unless you really need it to get in and out of the car, why? Plus not roadworthy in victoria... (Engineer may say different, I am a licensed vehicle tester...)
4/no tips, t700 is a good box though

5/from memory the vn lift pump runs at approx 12psi, that will put too much pressure on most needle and seats (could use a regulator?) but I can't get my head around why you are changing to a vs tank?

Hope this helps, cheers.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 02:46:27 AM »

Cool. I'm changing to vs tank so I will have more fuel for the v8. In that case I'll use a regulator. They are only 50 bucks too. Is there another you think is better?

If I go aftermarket quick release and wire it as such I can make mods and use any steering wheel later. Or a new tilt column etc. Reason being is I'd like to do wireless paddle shift.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fink

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:06:01 AM »

Happy B/Day Deano! I''ll have a beer for ya on Aust Day,cheers,Gaz!  Kiss Grin
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 10:51:10 AM »

Paddle shift on a T700 hmmm. I know you can get a push button shift controller but that's only while in Drive. Does not go PRN

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 12:30:00 AM »

If I do this I'll go fully electric gb and use an aftermarket module that's compatible with whatever injection/throttle setup I run. Then I can run any column I want and it keeps it simple with programmable option of full auto, just upshift if I want and programmable shift vs throttle position. But I'm not at that point but starting to think of it cos I hate tiptronic type shifters on modern cars. It's completely acts against your bodies movement. I could just bung any later family slush box in just to get it through engineers and define the injection or not run injection at all for certificate. It's all just bolt on wireless shit. I'm looking into wireless lights etc but still a bit exe. I don't like wires. I'm looking into electric handbrake wireless activator. On our vf it's got it and if I put put in central locking (maybe later) I like how it's just press button fuel like ve when the car is unlocked but locks when the car is unlocked. I love the remote start on the vf too. On a hot day ya get to the checkout and turn the car on remotely on a 40 degree day and it's cool by the time you get in. I'm not fussed on selectors. U only need three little buttons - p, r and d with my setup I have in mind. So they can be anywhere like other pushbutton selectors in the 50's but no linkages anywhere yay.

Deano

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 07:52:51 AM »

Where does the flux capacitor go then?

Gman

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 08:44:17 AM »

push button auto like a val? that would be cool Smiley
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »

Where does the flux capacitor go then?

There may be room for a polariser, too.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »

There may be room for a polariser, too.
maybe radar cruise control and lane avoidance are more achievable in the old girl???

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 02:51:40 PM »

Flux capacitor NES pick me up off the floor my sides are hurting tooooooooo much Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

What about self parking  Roll Eyes
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 03:10:40 PM »

Dusk sensing headlamps
Stability control
Traction control???
At least tyre pressure sensors!!

Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 06:41:33 PM »

Dusk sensing headlamps
Stability control
Traction control???
At least tyre pressure sensors!!

I'd be happy with cup holders.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 07:08:44 PM »

I would just like the easiest setup for the trans. Not all the other garbage. I'm taking so bloody long with the three projects, some of that stuff might become standard by the time I'm up to that lol.

Deano

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 07:55:39 PM »

Then put a shifter on the floor

Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 07:58:55 PM »

^^^ spot on. Or even back on the column.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »

^^^ spot on. Or even back on the column.
I'm on the column shift and its a F£€ken pain in the rrrrs. Wish the misses let me do floor shift

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »

I explained why I don't like floor shift only if it was manual.

Deano

Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 06:47:53 PM »

Here ya go Deano, check out this episode of Rags to Riches, where they install a billet steering wheel mounted push button sequential gear shift in a hemi powered Plymouth GTX.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything more about the setup, but it's definitely food for thought.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: