FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:13:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Vk rack conversion intermediate shafts  (Read 14903 times)
Frankiej

Model: other Holden

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 11:04:20 PM »

Hey Deano was reading somewhere about a Daewoo cielo steering rack is the same length have you heard this at all, also have a look at this rack and the style and give me your thoughts on if it would work.
141554191493 Ebay.
Cheers Frankie.
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 11:39:48 PM »

I'll come clean why I don't want the centre floor current Holden Ford forward and backward. I have a pretty bad spine disease which is making my mid spine all grow together and fuse. So it hurts if I have that down shift movement with the body off balance cos of my never ending back spasms. My son's who will get the car later have the same disease and my 12 yr old has osteo and discs as expected in a 50 year old. So the clip on or bolt on paddle shift keep your back central and if you use the right controller gives full mode control of shifting like full auto or upshifts only etc. I'll look at these when I get a chance. Frankie, we have our racks. Is this just one for the memory bank for next time lol. I know the reason why ppl like vk is it's a good ratio etc. It's easy to change it later for shits and giggles though. But off top of my head the Mr2 Toyota, old Subaru, lanos ones etc would be fine for a v6 conversion but it's moreso the consideration of the sump arrangement and the lanos has more of an upright input which makes it less compatible for chev from that perspective and centre housing is thick too (disadvantage). The best arrangement I can think of is a belt driven electric rack with one of those right angled attachments to clear block huggers etc. I don't care about having an original column shift cos I got the other standard car. I reckon I'd rather an ididit type column with tilt to improve angles. I'm thinking of running a dry sump. I change my mind a bit lol. I got a vl column here. If I use the vl I'll future proof the collar with a quick release mech so I can have choice of wheels. If I go the wireless paddle shifter I might as well get one for a wireless horn too. There's a lot coming out now due to easier for manufacturers with no linkages and less moving parts. If I had it my way I would have everything wireless, lights, stereo, the lot. Still not sure though cos I'm trying not to get ahead of myself. My goal is to get the taxi going first
http://twistmachine.com/?main_page=index&cPath=1

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 12:04:32 AM »

Deano I think your looking for an electronic gear shift like here http://www.timstrim.com/mobility/touch-pads-and-switches/
 or here http://www.performancemobility.com/hand-controls/emc/ there are also interesting things like electric Park brake.... be ready to dig deep in the ol pockets...

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 12:29:22 AM »

They look ridiculous. Just a simple vf park brake will do but I haven't sussed it out yet. Why do people still want to use all these gauges and buttons. If the product doesn't integrate as a system with an android app etc, then I won't be interested. Like, you can just have standard gauges and then have a Tom Tom type mount with a tablet that has the info you want from rpm, to whatever else ya wanna know. No need to have all these gauges in my car. You can turn sound on and set parameters for sounds at the desired shift rpm etc. I hardly use wires in my house for anything anymore so I don't wanna be like that just to get basic info from my car. I just wanna drive the thing. If I'm worried about anything I'll just data log it and look later or set perameters. If I can't do that then I'll go basic and just have simple warning lights. But getting a bit ahead of myself again. It won't be an off the shelf system, perhaps just the management system controllers will be, but I doubt I'll like the poxy ideas I've seen out there lol.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »

Then you need OBD2....
With a mobile wifi jack in OBD2 port streamed to ipad it will look like this

I don't have any gauges added either but have all this info on a small 100mm x 70mm screen.
Starts up like this

Then shows gear selected etc

All hidden under dash

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 09:53:11 PM »

That mounting looks good. I've noticed there's a fair few car companies using android too but I haven't quite got up to this bit yet but will need to Start working some shit out. In the donor, did the wires get housed in anything special do you remember. I keep changing my mind though on things but that's ok. Ok. Let's end this now as it's way off topic but feel free to start something for new products if you get the urge lol.

Deano

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 11:39:13 PM »

You CANNOT do ipad or android on pre VZ Deano as its OBD1 (aldl). That's why I have a modified data logger as a reader.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 04:47:34 PM »

Ok. But I havent chosen my gb or injection system so it should be compatible I would think cos it will be aftermarket. If it doesn't work out I'll just cry in the corner for a while like everyone else.

Deano

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 05:09:39 PM »

Chances are you won't be able to either unless you get a system with a purpose readout.  I may be able to help if you run Delco original computer only.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »

Ok. I'd probably just go with the basics if that's the case like the shifting etc.

Deano

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: