FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 25, 2024, 06:27:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sump Removal  (Read 3281 times)
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2003, 01:27:20 AM »

Can  a grey motor sump be removed with the Motor still in the car?How easy is it.Could dents be filled with body filler without the risk of it falling off?

Cheers,
Graham
craiga
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 02:42:00 AM »

Graham,

Body filler, like paint, should be applied to a correctly prepared surface. With filler, you should remove as much of the dent as possible by hammering etc, then sand off all the old paint to around 2" outside the edges of the dent using 40 or 80 grit. Using a good quality body filler, apply as thinly as possible following the manufacturers instructions and then sand, prime and paint as normal.

If then dent hasn't creased the metal you should think about one of the dent removal companies. From what I've heard they do a good job and don't cost the earth, and you don't need any filler or paint!

Cheers,

Craig.
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 09:38:21 AM »

Hi Graham,
re the dent as Craig said, the dent removal companies do a great job. My panel beater mate works for the NRMA and showed me the job they did on his new falcon as a demo. They had some serious dents in the rear quarter. I could not pick it, visually or with feeling it either. Only good if paint not damaged though

I was impressed !

Cheers ChrisB  Cool
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2003, 11:26:31 PM »

Graham sump cant be removed with engine in car - well not unless you take off the front crossmember that is.
A dent in the sump can be repaired just like any normal dent, the heat of the oil wont affect it if it is done properly.

Ken
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 01:58:41 AM »

Hate to disagree with you Ken but the sump will come off with engine in. Steering drag link dropped, engine mounts undone and engine jacked up, bottom flywheel tinware removed and possibly the oil pickup undone and bingo.
You'll probably remember I took mine off in the caravan park at the Mildura Nats to check out the spun big end.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 02:13:55 AM »

Thanks Leigh.
Cheers,