FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:53:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fe sedan v6 build up  (Read 67268 times)
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2014, 11:05:55 PM »

Not sure about the switches but the bracket looks to be for the horn/s and the nozzle on the wiper is the washer jet. There should be hoses under the dash that would have gone to the washer bottle/ jar. It looks like the end screw cap is missing off the drag link and most likely the spring and the retainers that hold the idler arm in position.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2014, 07:52:49 AM »

I think the brains trust is onto it with those questions you have .The second pillar switch, will be someone has set up to separate both front doors from turning on the interior light .This would explain why the switches under the dash . I mean if mum wants to get out and not wake the baby .The second switch could be to turn off the boot light when not required ,like when you leave your boot open during the day , I pull the bulb on my Mazda so I don't flatten the battery .Cheers Haydn
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2014, 09:08:33 AM »

If you can't be stuffed rooting around for now, I'm more than happy to lend you this one (I have 2 cars, this is a spare) and then when u have time you can use it to see how to put the other one together. 

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:28 AM »

I have the whole new replacement kit here somewhere too. You can see my fc build page under "black and white taxi" and my modified fe custom is here FE 1957 - Breton Blue/Teal Blue - 327, T700, modified chassis - original body

Some more pics for you. IMG]

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2014, 09:26:23 AM »

Tapatalk is not playing ball. Let me know if a certain pic will help.

Deano

Frankiej

Model: other Holden

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »

Hey Deano that would be fantastic to get a lend of that, but down the track I will be fitting an hr frontend but for now I just need to be able to move the car around and onto trailers, I was told today that a guy in town here is wrecking an fc that's really only for wrecking so I might try and catch up with him, and all the gurus on this site thanks for the answers to my questions.
I also sandblasted the front guards, grille cowl and some other small bits today and put them into etch primer, the front guards are both going to need lowers and front peaks but I expected that.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2014, 10:18:28 PM »

Yeah my guards need a lot of work. Peaks, top qtr,  lower u name it. On fe did all floor. Inner and outer sills, crossmember, ek auto hump and the front subframe has been repaired and strengthened. Have the crs chassis kit here too.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2014, 10:22:11 PM »

Let me know when someone is coming to Horsham and I'll run that steering to them as I live out of town. If you want any templates for the crs kit to copy or u wanna bend up your own crossmembers if you don't have any, u can borrow mine as templates if ya want.

Deano

Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2014, 07:35:27 AM »

That's Awsome Deano and I will take you up on that offer for when I'm ready to do a copy, I will have to drop by and see you one day, are you anywhere near lee Paterson the spray painter cheers.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2014, 07:14:56 PM »

I'm coming in tomoz for some man shopping so I can drop it off wherever you would like. Just pm me in messages section where you would like me to take it to and I'll drop it off for you. Is he at Urquhart Street? My mum lives in Pynsent street. I'll take it there tomoz and I'll give you her address so that you can pick it up when u like if that's easier. Doing my 2 cars at once, I have a fair few double up parts as one will be completely taxi original down to the paint and the other one more of a hottie.

Deano

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »

I personally agree with Neil ,I have a series 1 and a series 2 both in 1948 Vauxhalls  and with a bit of elbow grease and some polish and a set of alloy rocker covers they look ok . I find the large plenum chamber on the ecotec a little too ugly .Also the tin sumps are a little easier for us back yardies to modify . The question I would like to ask the brains trust is this .There is no ruling on hotrods regarding the originality of the exhausts .What I mean is that I have adapted sports systems for both V6's , the series 1 was a sports system for commodore and the second was off a Nissan [zoom zoom I need a bigger system and turbo] that I scored off ebay and made fit . Both have sports cats and mufflers and both are 2.75" plus, would these be suitable on FE-FC in all states . Still they don't sound as good as the sports system on my red motor .Haydn
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »

I like the sound of an old straight 6. Personally never heard a V6 sound anywhere near as good as a V8 with the same exhaust.... But that's my two cents.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2014, 10:27:33 PM »

My sports system on the buggy is straight through. At least Frankie j can come and hear it at full noise in my paddock lol. With the hilux low ratio diff, it's a hoot. But I'm not a fan of the sound so if I had one in a classic, I would try make it quiet. I'm not sure what Frankie wants to end up using his car for. I'm hoping by the end of it that Frankie chooses a 1uz , carbed borrowing an intake from New Zealand speedway with 6 speed auto. They are big though. Haydn, maybe you could start a discussion on it. I'd be interested to hear from everyone and I'm sure Frankie would too. If I were using a v6 though, I'd go for a ve sv6 engine. Really good motor but is much revier. Frankie and Haydn, have you guys had much to do with the T5 trans?

Deano

Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2014, 07:38:34 AM »

Deano I haven't had much to do at all with the T5, when I was doing most modifications back in the 80's and 90's most people went for a red motor or chev, we didn't have the options we have today, I like the idea of an ecotec from a vs, they are proven and reliable. I also done a lot of work with Rod Hadfield whith engineering stuff, and he would often ask me how I did things like a rear mounted rack back in 1997 as he was only doing front mounted and a two speed wiper for half the price of his, but I never let him know because he would nt tell me his secrets either, a great guy and funny as well.
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2014, 08:13:34 AM »

Back at rods we put a few  T5's in FC-FE's .I believe that the series1 was crank specific [manual and auto are different]. Series2 onward are interchangeable . But I am not 100% sure as we didn't do that many compared to the auto's . On the engine sound thing ,yes the exhaust note is a little disappointing whatever sports system you use but if you throw away your power steering pump and air con. and tensioners then make your own alternator bracket to replace the serpentine belt with a 6pk1155 you will actually hear the engine .Cheers Haydn 
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2014, 06:03:06 PM »

😃

Deano

Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2014, 08:50:08 PM »

Cool
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2014, 01:35:11 PM »

You can copy this stuff. I dropped it off at mums in town. Can't give you the v6 conversions gearbox mount just yet but this will keep you busy for now. If you know any bird lovers, you can take the nesting boxes too there might be some items that we can help each other with. What are your plans for a fuel tank? I have a donut and normal gas thank here, but I think I will go for a tank that is big enough just to get a twin exhaust past. My cousin at My gambier is an awesome aluminium welder. When I cut all the pieces for the tank out I will template the pieces and keep them for if I ever get my Ute or van in future. So when you get to that part you can have a look, but you have probably done all this before.

Deano

Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2014, 08:57:19 PM »

Hey Deano that's Awsome stuff and I can't thank you enough, I was hoping to use a VS fuel tank as that seems to be what people are using but until I purchase a vs I won't know for sure if I will use it, I also want to run a twin exhaust but not sure how the v6 will sound with that, has anyone here done it and does it sound ok ?. Anyway thanks again Deano I will measure it all up and put it onto AutoCad and keep it on file for future or if anyone else wants the dimensions.
Cheers Frankie
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »

My buggy is v6 twin straight through exhaust. This is it years ago. It's black now. It's a bit hard to get proper tone on here but I think a grey or red Holden motor sounds better.
dirt buggy, 3.8L v6 s1 vn motor, 5 speed: http://youtu.be/Tj6oVP_CJiE

To get a better sound, you really need to bridge the twin system and copy the VE sv6 setup. But they only sound reasonable at 4500 to 6000 revs, but the ecotec doesn't rev very well. I think the commodores all got heavier so u don't feel the advancement of each engine. We had ourselves or I've driven every model of both Ford and Holden since the vs, either work cars or family cars and the best value for money and interior car is the current vf. But I liked the ve sv6 we had but the ride is harsh on our shit roads. One of the better ones was the fg falcon. Very smooth engine and nice trans. If I didn't find the 1967 camaro spec 327 with four barrel, I reckon id do a Toyota 1uz 4 ltr v8 using a caslemaine kit. I would buy a carb intake setup from New Zealand where they use them for speedway. Bulletproof bottom end that you would never need to touch. There's a few videos of vans and an ek with one if you search. They are a wide motor though. I'm thinking of raising the deck height of my sbc by 0.225 inches and doing an LS/sbc hybrid. But ditching all the factory injection and going to a simple throttle body type setup that's fully adjustable.

Deano

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: