FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:14:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Crumpsnr FC Standard Sedan  (Read 45595 times)
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 12:45:51 AM »

Looking good. You don't seem to be short on garage space though.
Regards
Alex

fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »

You have enough room for another one  Lips sealed hey sorry I expected you to read my mind before, I was talking about the k frame subframe. If u wanted to trial fit it without the front end attached because you were talking about the work u had to do to the firewall and such. But now your talking roitsserie so probably not as relevant. When I say front end attached I'm talking about front wheels and suspension.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »

Ah, gotcha! Grin Yeah, I will need to do a couple of trial fits. Luckily I've got an old subframe that's all rusted out, but the left hand inner guard is Ok so I reckon I can do a one person lift and fix to test the fit. The left side of the firewall is the side that's bent so that was a bit of luck.
Yeah, I'm lucky to have some good space in the garage. I can fit 4 easily so yep, there's room for one more! I'm also lucky to have a shed not far away where I can store loose panels and parts until they're needed.
Garage hint for more space: Create a drop down work bench that you can leave down most of the time then swing up when needed. Will post a pic later.  Regards, Martyn
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 05:23:50 PM »

I just built a new house and waiting to get the shed built and permits etc. Its taken ages, so I have been storing parts in my kart trailer and in a 10m 2 garden shed, doing work in our lovely new alfresco, much to the delight of the missus. She has a lovely view of cars parts half restored and painted!

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 06:42:58 PM »

So she can see what she's going to be asked to hold or lift!! Good planning! Grin Isn't "pergola" just another name for the carport out the back? Cheesy
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy me  Angry Angry Angry her

Deano

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy me  Angry Angry Angry her
bahahahahaahha

Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »

Hi all, chipping away bit by bit.
The floor looks good. It's had a few holes drilled/punched but no rust. I don't like the look of the section under the scuff plate. Looks like a lot of bog, and the small angled channel section is missing, who knows why, because the rest of the floor isn't rusty. Just a few wires to disconnect and the dash will be out, then the wiper setup, and will then get out the screens and remove the doors. Previous owner welded and ground with the glass in so I'll probably be up for a full set of glass later due to spatter damage.
Note the plates at the bottom of the centre pillar for seat belt mounts. There's more bog than weld holding them on. The engineer is happy for them to stay provided I weld them properly, but I reckon they're ugly and would rather plate inside the pillar.
That transmission hump is for a trimatic. It'll come out and I'll redo a neater one for an Aussie 4 speed. The bench seat will stay.

Why would you oxy off the nuts from one side of the pedal box? And then refit it with nothing to hold that side??
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 10:09:39 PM »

Sorry, forgot this one too.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »

People do all sorts of interesting things hey, maybe they got it from a wrecker who did and then they forgot to bolt it in propertly  Huh

Deano

Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 07:11:45 PM »

Yeah, if only the cars could talk. I'd ask about the shotgun shell and 2 x 22 bullets I found in the glovebox... (See my early post with photos).
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 09:30:26 PM »

Maybe those holes weren't oxy  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Deano

Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »

Cheesy
Might explain a few of the holes in the floor too!
CraigFC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 10:48:38 AM »

If cars could talk
Friend of mine once purchased a federal Police car wrecked, he removed the passenger seat to find a velcroe section under it with a full gun magazine still in it. A quick phone call and it was removed along with a big apology  Shocked
Lucky his kids didn't get in it.

FC Dave

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2013, 06:52:09 PM »

Great to meet you today Martyn. Nothing like chatting cars etc. Hope to see your car soon a swap more stories & maybe some parts. Regards, Dave Wink
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 08:53:54 AM »

Hi Dave, yep it was great to meet and have a chat. Thanks for taking the time to show me your wagon. It's good to see a real stockie being kept original. Looks like we might be neck and neck on our builds after your upcoming 2 month break! Regards, Martyn
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 08:45:50 PM »

Hi all, thought it was about time for an update. The body is just a shell now. I've found more rust and body issues than I'd expected (who doesn't?) but comparing it to some other cars I've seen built on the forum I'm still very fortunate to have such a good starting point. I've put the dollies and hammer to good use and got the sections where the subframe mounts to the firewall looking pretty good. Will post photos of that later. Part of the firewall is so badly dinged and split I'll fabricate a new section. I'm now making up brackets to put the car on the rotisserie and I'll treat myself to some nice stand-up flat welding positions as opposed to on my back under the car like I had to on my last build. I picked up a good Aussie 4 speed (I know some would say there's no such thing Smiley) plus shifter and and A/C bracket for a 6 cylinder last week.

I love having room to work. This is before the body was fully stripped.

This is what happens when you try hanging a trimatic from the floor...

The latest way to fit demister vents.

The doors are pristine (at least until I strip the outside)

Spotless cowl vent. Pity the body around it isn't quite so good. See the next few pics.

Rust plus evidence of a previous repair. I'm fitting A/C so I may weld up the vent.

It just keeps getting better.

And better...

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »

Sometimes its better to be able to see daylight through large holes than bog  Tongue  Cry. Make sure you wear a mask getting rid of it cos U don't really know what was used on there ey  Wink

Deano

pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 01:58:50 PM »

Looks like you're going down the same path as the rest of us Martyn, you start off thinking i'll just give the old girl a bit of a going over and fix a few problems then you notice a bit of rust and think i'd better fix that while i'm at it then you find a few more problems and next thing you know the car is in a million bits and you're doing a full rebuild.
   Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
FC Dave

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 04:55:55 PM »

I'm hearing you pedro. With most stuff it will only have to be done once.  Do it properly the first time.  I understand not everyone has the funds/time/space for it. I went from brake shoes to a bare shell.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: