FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 01, 2024, 04:15:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Zulu & FC_Drivers boys own adventure  (Read 66467 times)
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »

Well, Ted & Rhonda were passing through Port Augusta the other day and guess what they saw

Yep, it's on the way home, thanks you 2 for spotting it and giving it and the driver the once over to make sure it was ok

then this morning I got a phone call to say it was not far away! and there they are, great to have them back

The head came off, after a bit WD40 and some pulling in the form of an engine lifter as the head gasket had sort of cemented the head and block together, there was clear evidence of the head gasket having blown, and the bores all look ok with no visible cracks in the head, so heres hoping

I took this pic while waiting for a lift at Border Village, this birdbath is for the enjoyment of CROWS ONLY, just before I got the camera out there was no standing room left around the edge

cheers, Gary
Maco
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »

Hi Gary,

Great news they are both home safe & sound with you, hope they travelled o'k & with no damage.

If you need a hand with the repairs please let me know.

John

Better in Green
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2012, 11:26:05 PM »

Pleased to hear the Boonah Ambulance is home at last. The prognosis sounds hopeful, so with any luck she'll be back on the road shortly.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FE_UTE
wa-club

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2012, 11:43:25 PM »

Good to hear they are home safe and sound....could have been a lot worse ...maybe a roo or two, that would have been tough

Cheers
Gary

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »

Hi Gary,
Glad to hear the Ambo is back where it belongs.
Cheers,
Graham
fe-ambo

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »

Great to hear the ambo is home safely and nothing too serious wrong with it.

Cheers
Paul

If take a ride in a ambulance you gotta a chance,
if you take a ride in a hearse its gotta be worse.

Check out this website for more photos
http://gallery.oldholden.com/hr-hearse
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »

Phew Gary , what an epic saga !!!

Sure we are all pleased all's well ... PS was good to meet in Perth ...I did catch up with "fink" too

Cheers , Dave .

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
FC_Driver
nsw-club

We Love our FC...

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2012, 06:33:39 PM »

This ends this "Boys own Adventure"......What next?......MMmmmm
With the car and van home safe and sound we can now relax...
 That was some trip.....!!
Bruce
Gertie
nsw-club

Grey & White rooles

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »

The sister caravan is at Kalgoorlie at present and heading for Balledonia tomorrow. All well so far.
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2012, 11:10:43 PM »

Hi Geoff n Margaret

Don't forget the short drive to the Super Pit on the way out of town if you haven't already done it, you can take the van up with you no worries

It's well worth it

Cheers, Gary
FC_Driver
nsw-club

We Love our FC...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2012, 11:47:53 AM »

The sister vans at Perth.........
Gertie
nsw-club

Grey & White rooles

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2012, 08:17:57 PM »

Thanks Gary been there and are now in Nullarbor Roadhouse caravan park. Gertie is humming along with a daily dose of half cup of oil. 1200 ks in the last 2 days.
Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2012, 01:07:55 AM »

Just reading about the trip... Wow, sounds like you boys sure had an adventure to remember!!

Glad to hear everyone & everything is back and in relative good nick!

Loved the pics along the way and am looking forward to hearing more about the Nats one day!! Wink

Cheers, Les...

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »
+1

Stirling and I are back in Sydney, as of 5 pm this afternoon.  What an adventure.

We took the long way home - Perth to Mullewa; then to Murchison Roadhouse and Wooleen Station (of recent Australian Story fame); a radio telescope site, where I was pretty much turned away from my own workplace; Yalgoo; ~30 km of bush-bashing to find an orbicular granite quarry (ask Stirling); Mt Magnet, Sandstone, Leinster, Leonora, and Kalgoorlie, where we dropped my uncle off to catch the train back to Perth.

That was just the first part. Ha.  We turned up at Leinster at lunchtime on a Sunday very low on fuel, only to find that the town had essentially shut for the day.  The "emergency contact" number at the fuel station didn't answer, the shops were closed, the caravan park had no on-site accommodation, and the office was in the (closed) supermarket.  The police station was only manned during office hours.  The only open business was the nursery, so we talked to the owner to see what options were available.  A young couple was there, and we got talking cars, and they had an HR Premier, and they said we could siphon as much fuel out of the HR as we needed to get us down the road to Leonora.  So they invited us around to theirs, cut up the garden hose, gave us coffee while I got petrol-mouth, and finally refused payment for their fuel.  What heroes.

The 400 or so km of dirt around the Murchison district left us with two slowly leaking rear tyres.  I could just keep up with the leaks by pumping up the tyres every time we stopped.  At Leonora Caravan Park I repaired one of the punctures, while the other one (scratches head) sealed itself up.  That was more than a week ago now.

Seventy km out of Kalgoorlie the speedo seized up solid and sheared the cable off inside the driven gear.

Oh, and I had to do the "hand over the air intake" trick a couple of times to clear some crap out of the main jet.

I think Geoff and Margaret saw us at Kalgoorlie on the 24th.  At Kalgoorlie Railway Station carpark I did a lube service.  Good thing that.  I'd pumped all the gearbox oil out through the rear extension housing, where most of it ended up on the muffler.  Wondered why the car smelt of gear oil after driving for a while . . .

Kalgoorlie to Madura to Streaky Bay (oysters!) and down into the Eyre Peninsula to call in on the panelbeater at Cummins, then Cowell, where we took the SeaSA ferry across Spencer Gulf to Wallaroo.  I can't recommend the ferry highly enough.  From Wallaroo to Gawler, stopping to fix the exhaust (loose flange nuts).  At Gawler we called in on Phil Ivanov at the wrecking yard and saw his Red Dog FC, and "Phil's Corner" of the yard with all things '56 - '62.  Phil had a speedo cable. Yippee!

Gawler to Adelaide and then Robe, Mt Gambier, Warrnambool, the Great Ocean Road (with a night at the stunningly pretty Apollo Bay), Torquay and Geelong.  And here we flirted with the dark side.  Yes, that's right, we visited the Ford Discovery Centre.  I'd recommend it to anyone, even diehard Holden nuts.

And from there it was just a trip around the Western Orbital, onto the Hume, and a day and a half home.  We had a small "Route 66" moment, where we took the old road from Gunning through Cullerin and Breadalbane.  Strewth.  The Hume Highway in the '60s and '70s must have been lethal.  And yet you'd still drive Sydney-Melbourne in a day, on a narrow, twisty strip with drum brakes and crossply tyres, because that's what you did.

The car just went.  The cylinder head gave us no trouble, apart from having to tip a pint of water into the radiator every couple of days.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
FC_Driver
nsw-club

We Love our FC...

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2012, 09:04:27 PM »

Hi Rob and Stirling
Great to hear you are both home safe and sound. Thanks again to both of you for organizing a great trip.
We have great memories that will last forever. Now whats the plan for Hobart  Grin
Bruce
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2012, 11:49:47 PM »

Wow, I wish we had had the time, not to mention a working vehicle, to have tagged along with you two on the homeward journey.

Good to hear you have made it back after all of the adventure, and it's encouraging to know that there are still people out there with hearts as big as the outback they live in to help out now and then

As Bruce has mentioned, Deb and I also look forward to Tasmania, with possibly a few of your detours thrown in for good measure

Cheers, Gary

jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2012, 08:30:12 AM »

Hey Rob and Stirling,

Good to see you made it home safely  Smiley

cheers

"the bloke on the pushbike in Port Fairy"

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2012, 01:00:13 PM »

Great to hear you have arrived home safetly and have had an EPIC journey, well done guys. We look forward to catching up in Tassie

regards

The Weddo's

Bill & Judi
Gertie
nsw-club

Grey & White rooles

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2012, 08:55:19 PM »

Glad to hear that Rob and Stirling made it back. We were in Kalgoorlie on 24th and ended up in the Bert st Boulder caravan park but did not see Rob and Stirling. A very interesting trip with a good result.
We attempted to text and call R and S on several occasions without success and are now in Renmark on the home leg (saturday) I hope. Gertie still likes her cup of Penrite once every day or so and I have just done a grease job on her in the caravan park. 

Roll on Tassie.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: