FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 06:24:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Zulu & FC_Drivers boys own adventure  (Read 66452 times)
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »

Hi Gary & Bruce

I to am sorry to hear about your car, alls well that ends well and as long as you, your ambo and caravan make it home safe the adventure was a success.

Your adventure just took another turn. Its would have been another adventure getting a lift on the express road train to Ceduna looking at the road from higher up.

Safe travels, Cheers Jim, Sonja & William

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
FC_Driver
nsw-club

We Love our FC...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2012, 02:43:11 PM »

Hi All
At home in the "man cave"..... Waiting to hear Gary is home safe and sound !
Debbie is looking forward to having him home. Then the waite starts for the Ambo and van to arrive which will signal the end of this adventure.
I wish to trank the Following
WA FE FC Club for putting on a GREAT Nationl get together.
Rob & Stirling for a great time on the forward trip.....& fixing the electrical problem at Broken Hill
Ted & Rhonda for their valued help...(thanks Ted for keeping a eye on us)...also good humor en Route.
Denis & Lyn for their help on the return trip.
Graham Price for fault Finding at that roadhouse near Kagoorlie.....
The South Australia FE FC members for their help transporting me to Ceduna...600 km nearest airport.
The Truckie of the roadtrain for transporting Gary 600 km to Ceduna.
A big thankyou to Rex airlines for getting me away from the millions of flys at Ceduna.
and....
The caravan park at Perth can go to hell...shity barsteds...my personal view
And how I didn,t get food poisoning from some of the road houses is hard to believe.
And to those 2 lovely ladies that got in the way of me camera at the Great Australian Bight lookout, "all is fogiven"
Last but not least "Thanks Gary for taking me with you .....you filled a lifetime dream to cross the Nullabour.
Oh! NO we didn't see the "Nullabour Nymph"......pitty that
Bruce
P S The food at the Nationals was GREAT........In short the WA Nationals was Excellent.....
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »

Ditto that, thanks to all of the above from me also, and apologies if I have left anyone out, I am now home also after being squashed into 2 economy flights

Here is another pic of the Great Australian Bight, bloody Bruce got in the way of this one

And another, this time with Rob and his dad Stirling in the foreground, just couldn't get a clear shot!

Despite the disapointment of not finishing, I still had a great time, the 600 k's in the road train
was unreal, it was a great Nationals and I advise anyone who is considering going to the next one in Tassy to just do it!

Mark Bannister was the blokes name, him, his dad and his brother run a family trucking usiness out of Dungog

His Grandfather before him and his Dad started with 12 teams of horses! so a real family empire, they operate 10 trucks and several sub contractors as well, hauling huge loads to service the mining industry all over Australia

I was a bit sheepish about asking for a lift but I needn't have been, the 1st bloke knocked me back because he said it was againt company policy, but said his boss was likley to be following so ask him

So sure enough, after a while this other road train pulls in, I waited until he had had a feed and asked if he had any room for a lift to Ceduna, I think he felt sorry for me standing there with all my stuff in 1 bag, and he said yeah, ok, so long as I didn't smoke

600 k's and many hours later he dropped me in Ceduna, refused all offers of money, food and coffee, topped up the tanks and off into the darkness again, what a trooper, only sorry I din't get a pic, but not much opportunity as we didn't stop

A few facts,
the all up weight was about 75 tons
the fuel tanks hold about 1500 litres of diesel
It was a Cummins diesel in a Mack Truck, it was nearing either a complete overhaul or trade in with 700,000 k's on the clock
It uses 1.5 liters of Diesel per kilometer....but thats only because he drives it economicaly !
18 forward gears, and he used all of them to get away from a dead stop and didn't need to change again until we hit the hills on the other side of the Nullabor
Many more bits that I have left out

Cheers, Gary

MalFE
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »

Hi Gary & Bruce,

Glad to hear you both arrived home ok.
Let me know if I can be of any assistance with the car when it arrives.

Cheers,
Mal.
Tailshaft_Tim
act-club

Holden Heaven

holdenorgau holdenorgau
View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »

Sorry again guys about all the dramas but great to hear that you've both made it back home safely. Let's hope the same can be said about the ambo and van. Cheers, Tim

FE-HR Holden Owners Club ACT | http://www.oldgmh.org.au
Holden Heaven | Holden Enthusiasts Community | http://www.holden.org.au
Winnebago Baby | http://www.winnebagobaby.com
Facebook | http://www.facebook.com/holden.org.au
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2012, 08:12:32 PM »

Well after all that, you're home before us! Very pleased to hear you've been able to sort it all out, and had a different, unexpected adventure along the way. Hope the problems with the ambo aren't too drastic, and trust she'll be on the road again soon.

We'll be back in Sydney tomorrow. What a fantastic couple of weeks!

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2012, 11:03:56 PM »

Gary and Bruce.
Home safe and sound.  Grin
You will be able to say you "cruised the Nullabor in a road train"....another experience to tick off the list.
Regards
Alex

Gertie
nsw-club

Grey & White rooles

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2012, 12:01:32 PM »

Sorry to hear about the Ambo problems. We are in Busselton checking out the wineries etc and have another few days of travelling in the South West until the return home journey on Monday. Glad to hear you are both home safe and sound. Hope the Ambo and van are handled gently by the transports.

Geoff & Marg
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »

Glad to hear you are both home safe and sound.Thank goodness for helpful people from our clubs and the trucking community.Thanks for getting our mates home.
Cheers,
Graham
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »

Another update-

My Sunday-Monday Wheatbelt trip went well.  I spent a pleasant night at Kondinin with my cousin, and then returned via Narembeen, Bruce Rock, Kellerberrin and Cunderdin.

Richard Marek opened up his garage at Kellerberrin and showed me his growing collection of Holdens.  And outside No. 3 Pumping Station at Cunderdin I got talking to one of the locals, who has a 48.

The car went fine, except that the starter motor went all lazy on me, and then ceased operation altogether.  I pulled it apart yesterday.  Badly seating brushes, so I cleaned up the commutator and brushes, which woke it up again.

We're beginning the return trip tomorrow, via the Murchison and Northern Goldfields.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »

All the best for the journey Rob, hope all goes well with no more issues.

Good to hear you were able to have a guided tour of Richards garage

Regards, Gary
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »
+1

Just another snippet, I took enough oil for an oil change while in Perth for the return trip

While at the car wash I asked the operator if he knew of anyone with a hoist where I could change my oil and grease the Ambo

he directed me to

Mike Holmes
Car Service & Electrics
08 9274 6606
Unit 2/11 Bushby St Bellvue WA 6054

I asked Mike if I could have some hoist time, he said come back later which I did, we put the car on his hoist, he changed the oil, greased it, asked me if I wanted to check it over, then he checked it.

Not so unusual, but when I asked how much he said forget it, free for a fellow car lover, so if any of you WA mob need anything done this may be of help, he had an FE in there as well

A very obliging bloke

Gary 

FE_UTE
wa-club

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2012, 10:47:38 PM »

G'day boys

What a bugger about the Ambo...still could be worse...could have cleaned up a roo or two..then you would be really pissed

Another great happy friendly couple of mates travelling across the paddock and back

Always up for a chat or even ready to tow a car away from impatient moden car owners to get it back on the road or just offer advice

Just glad it all ended well and glad you both got home safely

Cheers
Gary & Lorene

FC_Driver
nsw-club

We Love our FC...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2012, 12:12:43 AM »
+2

Hi All
Juat uploaded a short (10 min 48 sec ) vidio on Youtube of the Ambo on its rorward journey to Perth. Its in my channel (FA7273).....
http://youtu.be/uohAICiXRRc     Titled ....FC Holden Ambulance (14th FE FC Holden Nationals Perth)...
Hope you Find it.
Bruce
PS Hope I got the link right.. Grin
HAD 708

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2012, 07:23:18 AM »

How good is that video !!!!!! Well done very enjoyable and thanks for sharing!
Brett

Brett Gillard
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2012, 08:55:49 AM »

Thanks Bruce - great stuff!!

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »

Thanks Bruce that was great.
Cheers,
Graham
FC_Driver
nsw-club

We Love our FC...

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2012, 02:22:17 PM »

Hi All
Just a few pics of the South Australians whilst giving me a lift from Ucula to Ceduna after the breakdown at Mundrabilla.

Thankyou for your help....see you all in Hobart
Gertie
nsw-club

Grey & White rooles

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2012, 02:25:46 PM »

Thanks Bruce, great job. We are about to do it in reverse. (not reverse gear although it could be a record)
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »

Loved the video.....thanks.
Those trucks were amazing.
Gave me some small perspective of what I missed.  Angry
Regards
Alex

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)