FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:15:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My FC Rebuild  (Read 214907 times)
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »

Thanks for your comments guys, the good thing about being in the trade is I can get some really good advice on how to go about doing it right. Pete, as for the floor pan I was lucky enough to get hold of that a set of door skins (although Ifound out later that I had three rear skins and one front) and a pair of w/screen rubbers all nos. again helps to be in the trade,you can be lucky from time to time.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 06:03:39 PM »

Jim well done, you are motivating me to get cracking.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 10:44:57 PM »

Thanks Deano, but I'm really glad I've only got one to do. You've got balls to take on two at once mate, better you than me.
Jim

customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 01:26:31 AM »

That NOS floorpan is a piece of art.....nice score.
Great progress.
Regards
Alex

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 07:40:44 AM »

I've also got a real good pair of rear door skins, Ithought I had a pair of fronts but when I took them out of the shed, one was a rear and the other had been used as a rats toilet, don't know if it can be saved it has pretty bad pitting from rats piss so I'll have to see how it cleans up.
Jim

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »

Just saw your rebuild Jim it looks like you have made some great progress. You are very lucky to be able to get some of that NOS stuff. I wish I had of gone and done mine like you have done yours when I first started 16 years ago now I just want to finish it and get it registered and then maybe go back when I have more time and finances.

Keep the pictures coming

regards
Neil
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 05:53:08 PM »

Neil. thats the really good thing about mine, it is fully registered so I've got a year to do it all. See how that goes might have to fudge it next rego.
Jim

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »

Well here we are,2012 what happened to last year? I've been waiting for some good weather so I can get stuck into it and as luck would have it we've had some nice weather over the last few days. This has allowed me to do a more on the car and also to make the rotisserie mobile so I can move it in and out of the shed, this will allow me to do some sandblasting on the grass so I don't get it all over the shed floor. As you will see in the photos I've cleaned up the left sill panel and found a lot more than I was expecting rust wise due to some doggey repairs.

first time out of the shed in over twelvw months!!!!!

I knew the rust was there, but not this bad, left inner sill repairs done a long time ago plated over existing rust and all.

The right inner sill just from the under side, I have'nt got to it yet.

As you all can see there is a lot of cancer in those sills and a lot of work in cutting,shaping and welding in plates and patches.
At least it will keep me busy for a few weeks or so. I'm thinking I might go to Rares and buy another inner sill to cut up and use on the two front sections where the subframe bolts on as these look to be a continuation of the sill panel itself.

Untill next time, Jim

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »

Did you see my outer sill on my build page. As you go along and bang them a bit, holes come up all over. Better to replace them and do it properly if u can. That's what ken told me a few weeks ago. Check out the pic of my blue cars sills. I've only just got over kens advice so i guess I'm giving you the same advice.  Cheesy after a fair few bourbons I have come to terms with it ha ha

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 08:54:49 PM »

Jim, be careful with the inner sill section behind the subframe leg - it is not a straight continuance of the inner sill Tongue

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »

Yes if its like mine it will look like one big massive piece of brown turd with no recognisable end or form to it  Cheesy

Deano

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »

Deano, I have a set of full outer sill panels that I bought not long after I got the car as I knew there was rust in them, they are old rares panels that go from the bolt hole back to the dog leg. Inner sils are rust repair sections, so they are,nt full lenght and don't have the kickout for the front end support.
Ken, I've checked out the downloaded parts book from fe4me and noted that the inner sill has the bent section at the front for the sub frame support. As you can see in the photos, there is still enough metal left to give me an idea of how it looks. As stated I was thinking of getting another section and bending it up to match. I've cleaned the old floor pan away and it looks like the inner sill flange has been bent up to fit over the inner section of the lower "a" pillar.
To anyone out there who has good mounting plate sections and would be able to take a few pics of them, I would be most thankfull to see how they look untouched.
Regards Jim

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 02:24:16 PM »

There are quite a few good photos in the build threads - have a look in "it has begun but will it continue"

Ken
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 06:58:29 PM »

Thanks Ken, I've had a look his are just as bad as mine. A lot of fidilly bit bending and welding. I have also looked at the shed find ute, this would be great if I can get shots of this as they appear to be untouched and would give me a better idea of the original shape.
Regards Jim

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2012, 07:07:26 PM »

Hey Jim, do you think you will be able to build up a head of steam and get moving on the ole girl. It funny how life gets in the way of getting our projects done. My problem is that I keep delving further and further into areas that i wasn't going to do but then you thing.... While its all apart....

Deano

FC-V8

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2012, 09:20:49 PM »

Hi Jim.
I got your pm and I have a couple of days off so I will post a few photos of the mounting points on your thread tomorrow.

Cheers
Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 10:04:59 PM »

Deano, the rain and work have slowed me down a bit, I want to get the body out onto the grass so I can do some blasting around the body and under the dash and boot area's. I've been doing some other stuff stripping guards and the under floor but did'nt put the pics up.
Glenn, thanks for that, it should help out being able to see how these parts look untouched as this area will be unforgiving if I get them wrong tough enough to line the front end up as it is, let alone if the mounting plates are all wrong.
Jim

FC-V8

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »

Jim

Here are the photos of the mounting points.

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2012, 12:40:50 PM »

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you with those sills Jim.

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2012, 01:34:13 PM »

Wow thanks for sharing that Jim. That will help many I an sure

Deano

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: