FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:41:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 48/215 FX  (Read 6061 times)
87 velo
nsw-club

Model: FE

Sydney

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:28:21 PM »

Does anyone know where the term FX came from, and when did it start to get used. Some one asked me as they are writing a book and want to keep it accurate Huh
jwk87

Model: other Holden

jason.king.5623 jdonlineinvest
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 01:04:46 PM »

You really need to google. It is on my website here is the link.

http://www.fxfjholden.com/termfx.htm

Cheers

Jason

87 velo
nsw-club

Sydney

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:04:56 PM »

Thanks Jason, I knew someone would know
Cheers Mick Smiley
fink fc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:30:44 PM »

WELL THERE YA GO.MY DAD[BILL] DROVE CABS FOR 30YRS.FROM FX'S TO FFFORDS.IN MELB WE HAD A . CAR DEALERSHIP HERE AND YOU HAVE MOST LIKELY HEARD HIS NAME POP UP OVER THE YEARS AND THAT'S  KEVIN DENNIS.A POPULAR NAME IN THESE PARTS.THE STORY WAS THAT INSTEAD OF TELLING CUSTOMERS,WELL YOU CAN HAVE THE 48-215 FOR 750PDS OR THE FJ FOR 900PDS LETS JUST CALL THE 48-215 THE  FX.       3 CHEERS FOR KEV!
jwk87

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:36:34 PM »

I was wondering how long it would be before the Kevin Dennis, myth would appear. It is a myth that has seemed to have gained popularity in Melbourne. But then a car yard using it as a sales plug, would be nothing new.

fink fc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 07:12:48 PM »

I SUPPOSE YOU'RE GUNNA TELL ME THAT HUMPHREY - BEAR IS NOT REAL AND THE EASTER BUNNY      DOES'NT LAY [BIG ]CHOCOLATE EGGS.BEING FROM CANBERRA I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY YOU LOT ALWAYS HAVE TO SPOIL OUR FUN.LOL.
jwk87

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:13:17 PM »

Being from Canberra, have to laugh, I'm a country Victorian boy born and bred, and currently in Sydney, better change my location.

The guy asked the question and I answered it for him. By the way internet etiquette says posts should not be in capitals.

I was not going to correct you but I have to (being a country Victorian Boy and meeting Humphrey some 30 years ago or was it 35 cant recall) it is actually Humphrey B. Bear. As for Humphrey being real, of course he is, isn't he?

Back on the term FX, I know of a few myths how the name came about, especially the one when around when the FB was released that some called the 48/215 "FX" because it was the only Holden without a F prefix and they didn't know what other prefix to give it so they gave it a X for unknown model.

I'm sure on this forum the naming designation has been discussed before how Holden came up with FJ, FE, FC FB etc, as it was a chart to do with year of release etc, (which Holden did not release the car in that year) from memory and memory only I think the chart has the FJ as about 1952, but the FJ wasn't released until October 53 and finished (with the vans and utes early 57 (but classed as 56 models)).

Anyway on a side note, what a funny old fellow was Humphrey anyway.

Jason

Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 01:55:44 AM »

Jason,

I enjoyed your blog and I was in the group that thought someone like Repco needed a designation so gave it FX for their parts catalogue. I hadn't heard the Kevin Dennis one but I think of Authur Daly and realise that sometimes there are rumours to some myths or is it myths to some rumours? There must be several versions of FX designation - would you care to gice a few of the odder ones?

Cheers

Paul.

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
fink fc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 05:52:51 AM »

I SPENT 8YRS AT FISHERMANS-BEND IN THE FOUNDRYS AS A MAINTENANCE/WELDER.I HAVE A CONTACT IN HEAD OFFICE THERE[CHARLIE]WHOM I GREW UP WITH.HEEZ BEEN THERE OVER 30YRS,AND MAYBE WE CAN GET SOME TYPE OF CLOSURE;SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITALS BUT MY EYESIGHT IS NOT TO GOOD.DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT XMEMBER THEORY,BUT WHO KNOWS?WHATS ETIQET JASE I'M FROM THE WESTERN/SUBURBS.BE BACK SOON,OK.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »

I wasn't aware that the "FX" = "Front X-Member" story had been printed in Restored Cars, but it's been published here before. I learnt this from Don Loffler shortly after he'd discovered it himself, and with his permission put a story in Sideplate about it.

And that's straight from the horse's mouth, as far as I'm concerned. (With apologies to Don, but you know what I mean.)

The other letter codes have been published here before also, in the same article:  http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,12342.msg73176.html#msg73176

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: