FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:30:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: nasco gear lever lock  (Read 4118 times)
mike

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2003, 05:29:02 AM »

Hi I just got hold of a FE/FC nasco gear lever lock and was wondering if they were painted or left the aluminium finish originally, as mine now is just the alloy finish.

regards mike.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 08:27:46 AM »

Painted,  some were black & others were in a hammer finish silver type of paint.

I think black is best - it looks better with the NASCO sticker.

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 03:13:47 AM »

That's interesting.  Every one I've ever seen (FE/FC or FB/EK) has been painted fire engine red in NSW.

I presume we're talking about the shifter sleeve and padlock, not the steering column 'collar' type lock.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 04:35:02 AM »

how do you get these things off the steering column by the way?

af riend has just bought an ek ute and it has the lock on the column, but can't see ho to actually remove it. a special tool of some kind? Huh Huh

simon
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 05:38:16 AM »

The collar type (see this page here) is designed in such a way that it can't be removed.  Otherwise what would be the point? Roll Eyes  It uses two shear screws that you presumably could drill out if you were very very careful.

If you've got the key for it consider swapping the whole column - it might be easier!

cheers
RET

By the way, if I'd stepped off the curb on Elizabeth and Park Streets on my way back from lunch today (1.45-ish) I would have been under the green machine!  She's lookin' cool - although we're both better off for me not seeing the underside today Grin Grin

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 07:03:34 AM »

Hi Gree & Ret yes it is the gear lever lock type not the tube and padlock type, Gree  to get it off all you do is drill into the shear off bolts carefully i used a 4.7mm drillbit and then knocked into the hole a 6 sided attachment (you know the ones you always get when you buy attachments for your cordless drill) and fit a socket onto this and undo, mine undid quite easy, then its just a matter of getting it re-keyed and either buying or making shear off bolts and refit.

regards mike.
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 10:28:51 AM »

Shocked

hey RET, a near miss eh?! i think i was chuffing along a bit too..  Grin

She's lookin' cool

just whacked on a coat of "nufinish" ha ha! the paint is getting very worn out, and it actually brought it up pretty well, its glossy again anyway!

thanks for the info about the lock guys, chuck (the friend of mine with the lock - hi chuck!). i am pretty sure that he wants to get rid of it, so maybe if anyone wants it he may swap. sorry for putting words in your mouth chuck, maybe you'd better speak for yourself here!

simon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: